This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-16 00:20:24

tiberius
Scratcher

Suggestion: Export to Quicktime

Will this ever be a possibility? I know I can use a capture app, but an export feature would be more convenient.

Thanks!

#2 2007-05-16 00:24:50

Chupi
Scratcher

Re: Suggestion: Export to Quicktime

IMO it would be more useful to export to Flash or Java since then the result would be interactive.

#3 2007-05-16 01:19:37

Proggie
Scratcher

Quicktime supports interactivity for the past 10 years (since v3). Maybe not as much as flash, but definitely enough to support the kinds of things you can do with scratch. In fact programs exist to build interactive quicktime movies that are similar to scratch (but not as easy to use).

#4 2007-05-16 08:54:45

johnm
Scratcher

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We currently have no plans to add an "export to movie" feature to Scratch. A screen capture program such as Camtasia or SnapZPro works well.

-- John

#5 2007-05-16 10:17:13

Roberth
Scratcher

To back up John here, I would have to add that for projects like this, you can't have it do everything for everybody.  While I've seen Scratch make some interesting "movies" by allowing some fairly simple animation, that is not really the target of this software.

I do find it interesting that the ease of use to make simple animations is so good that this would even be an issue at all.  That for me is a sign of outstanding basic software design principles that your team has followed, and that the design was good enough that the end-users are taking this into directions you did not originally anticipate.

Keep the focus on developing the language and don't create a swiss army knife that can also cook breakfast.

#6 2007-05-26 19:33:08

Michael_S
Scratcher

*EDIT* I did find the web embed stuff and am testing it now, so far it looks pretty cool  smile

Greetings,

johnm wrote:

"We currently have no plans to add an "export to movie" feature to Scratch. A screen capture program such as Camtasia or SnapZPro works well."

"Works  well" ? ...

C'mon, you gotta be kidding.  Compared to a built in - push a button / choose a menu /export, external capture programs are a pain in the a$#%.

The same arguement could be made about external saving / ftp'ing to a web site instead of the integrated Share menu function.  (Although I wouldn't make that arguement... the share menu is much nicer  wink

I just heard about this program today, downloaded it, played with it for a few minutes, thought it was very cool, then I looked for the export function.  What ??

And you don't think it's even an issue that should be on your FAQ page ?

Roberth wrote:

To back up John here, I would have to add that for projects like this, you can't have it do everything for everybody.

Keep the focus on developing the language and don't create a swiss army knife that can also cook breakfast.

Swiss army knife ?    Give me a break.

Every other graphical / authoring / media .. whatever you want to call this type of program has an export to movie format function.

Mike

Last edited by Michael_S (2007-05-26 20:01:17)

#7 2007-05-27 05:25:37

Roberth
Scratcher

Michael_S wrote:

Roberth wrote:

To back up John here, I would have to add that for projects like this, you can't have it do everything for everybody.

Swiss army knife ?    Give me a break.

Every other graphical / authoring / media .. whatever you want to call this type of program has an export to movie format function.

Mike

Oh, really, huh?  Does this include Visual Studio and Delphi as well?  How about "Authorware"?  I admit these are more "professional" software development suites, but they are graphical in nature and do some very powerful software.

I guess "every other" means 1 out of every 2?

I'm not trying to get a flame war here, but insisting that this becomes a priority over other fixes/extentions of Scratch, at the cost of introducing bugs.  And what file format are you suggesting that the LLK use for video output? 

Quicktime?  Have you seen the licensing requirements for commercial content generation in that format?  Are you willing to pay the licensing fees to Apple Computer?  By having Scratch as an educationally oriented project, and giving the nature and history of Steve Jobs, perhaps a special "license" could be granted by Apple just for Scratch.  But that is also a huge assumption here and not automatic.  Remember that the GPL *is* a commercial-use license... and something the Scratch team has considered.

MPEG?  Are you out of your mind?  You cannot write any open source software that implements an MPEG video codec without violating patent and licensing restrictions, or including "non-free" code mingled with the "free" code.  And the MPEG patent holders (except for MPEG-1 where most of the patents have expired) are not nearly as friendly to free software projects at all.  Any MPEG software you have seen on Linux is very likely to be illegal to use and distribute, especially in the USA.  DVD-Video in particular.

Ogg?  Yes, this format *is* free to use, but hardly anybody makes devices (or software) that use it.  This file format is growing and may still get mindshare, but there is a long way to go.

The point I'm making here is that making video conversions is a legal minefield that is better left alone unless you have an "expert" guide to help you out.  This is but one of the reasons why open source video editing solutions tend to be a piece of garbage compared to commercial offerings.  Paying a 1% royalty usually isn't that big of a deal on commercial projects.  If Scratch is to remain free, video might have to be left out.

#8 2007-05-28 12:50:32

DrJim
Scratcher

Michael_S wrote:

C'mon, you gotta be kidding.  Compared to a built in - push a button / choose a menu /export, external capture programs are a pain in the a$#%.

Have to agree, at least with respect to Camtasia - although it's a great program otherwise.  For simplicity, I like the freeware version (1.5a) of Bulent's Screen Recorder, even though you may have to search a bit for it (see http://www.thesilver.net/ for a description and http://johnbokma.com/softwarerecommendations/bulentsscreenrecorder.html ) for a download site - at least it was good a couple of weeks ago - for the freeware version)

#9 2007-05-29 16:34:20

tammy
Scratcher

We've added the question to the FAQ page here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1997#p1997

We will continue to think about exporting features.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Board footer