This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Version 1.2 to be released around mid November. Testing going on now.

#51 2007-11-05 14:56:13

relyt12101
Scratcher

Re: Version 1.2 to be released around mid November. Testing going on now.

kevin_karplus wrote:

I think that the problem adriangl noticed may be realted to one I noticed---once a script starts playing in 1.2 then editing it has no effect, even pulling the script apart doesn't keep the original, unedited script from running.  This is a step backwards from v 1.0, which responded quickly to any changes in the script.

Okay. Got ya!

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#52 2007-11-08 03:53:43

Axeblade
Scratcher

It dosent even work for me. Whenever I hit the green flag I get a pink window called "primitive error" and in it is a bunch of script and three buttons- Proceed- Abandon- Debug. What do I do?

#53 2007-11-08 13:45:50

OJY321
Scratcher

Not copatibal online. Can you make compatible, or are you gonna do that in the full one. Since my fave part of scratch is sharing and not many users no of 1.2 yet, I'll stick to the old functions until A, loads of people begin using 1.2 or B you make it compatible online.

#54 2007-11-08 16:11:28

sausagestand
Scratcher

i think that you should like put a maximum sound thingy because if someone turns the sound really high it can hurt your ears  yikes

#55 2007-11-08 16:29:58

sausagestand
Scratcher

11alex wrote:

IMPORTANT: How do I uninstall scratch beta?

yeah... uh it doesn't show in the uninstall program thing...
maybe you should fix that!  big_smile

#56 2007-11-08 16:48:18

relyt12101
Scratcher

sausagestand wrote:

11alex wrote:

Just go to the Scratch folder where BETA is installed, select everything, and delete it. Or delete the whole Scratch Beta folder.

JUST BE CAREFUL: If you saved and music/projects/sprites/costumes, be sure to move them out of the folder so they don't get deleted.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#57 2007-11-08 17:10:01

evhan55
Scratcher

Axeblade wrote:

It dosent even work for me. Whenever I hit the green flag I get a pink window called "primitive error" and in it is a bunch of script and three buttons- Proceed- Abandon- Debug. What do I do?

Hi Axeblade,

Can you give us more information about the script that was under the green flag block?
And if it didn't have a script, can you reproduce this error and tell me more about how you got to the pink window?

Remember to save often so you don't lose your work!

Thanks so much!
Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#58 2007-11-08 17:29:03

Heliosa
Scratcher

Make it compatible online!
<when green flag clicked>
<set{ make it compatible online }to( 1
<play sound[ Make it compatible online

What are you looking at?

#59 2007-11-08 17:42:27

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I'm sure that when version 1.2 is officially released, that the Scratch team will also release a new Scratch.jar file to be able to run 1.2 projects on-line.  In fact, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't had the beta-test community helping them debug that also.
Perhaps it is a little behind schedule??

#60 2007-11-09 09:38:49

johnm
Scratcher

Hi, Kevin.

Actually, the Scratch community *has* been helping us test the new player for several weeks. :-)

The first version had a bug that prevented projects using the new comment block from working. The next version will fix that and will also add support for dragging unlocked sprites. The new version should be out later today...

-- John

Last edited by johnm (2007-11-09 09:51:13)

#61 2007-11-09 09:49:02

johnm
Scratcher

Hi, Axeblade.

I'm sorry you had trouble with Scratch 1.2 beta. Thanks for reporting the problem; it will help us make the real Scratch 1.2 release better.

If you just want to revert to Scratch 1.1 (the stable version), just download the regular installer and run it. That will revert to the old version.

Someone else reported getting "primitive failed" errors but only after they had looked a Scratch project on the website that had some music (note/drum commands). They found that if they closed all their browser windows then Scratch would not get the pink box error. We are looking into this problem, but it only seems to happen on some computers, not all, so it is hard to track down.

You could try, as a test, closing all your browsers before starting Squeak 1.2. If that works, it would be great if you'd post to let us know and please mention what type of computer, operating system, and which version of Java (if you know) you are running. (And if you've already reverted to Scratch 1.1, that's fine, too.)

Thank you!

-- John

#62 2007-11-09 09:57:05

johnm
Scratcher

Hi, Sausagestand.

sausagestand wrote:

i think that you should like put a maximum sound thingy because if someone turns the sound really high it can hurt your ears  yikes

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, in the old Scratch 1.1, the volume was always at maximum (100%). The new volume control let's you lower the volume when you want to. Each sprite has it's own volume, so you can balance the loudness of different sprites. Or you can make some drum or note commands less loud than others to get a more musical effect.

You can use your computer's overall volume control to make sure that it doesn't get too loud. And, as you probably know, you should be especially careful not to set the volume too high when using headphones.

-- John

#63 2007-11-09 10:31:35

moroco
Scratcher

relyt12101 wrote:

sausagestand wrote:

11alex wrote:

Just go to the Scratch folder where BETA is installed, select everything, and delete it. Or delete the whole Scratch Beta folder.

JUST BE CAREFUL: If you saved and music/projects/sprites/costumes, be sure to move them out of the folder so they don't get deleted.

I don't know were the Scratch folder  is yet alone find were beta is installed

#64 2007-11-09 11:23:25

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

So the Scratch.jar file currently used on the web site is supposed to work with v1.2 programs?  If so, my son and I had better get moving on the project we're working on, so that we can post it!

#65 2007-11-09 13:25:43

shadowhalo3
Scratcher

to andersmh or whom it may concern,

during my long use of scratch,i've wanted the use of these commands:

a command where you can cancel all of a sprites scripts without having to halt the entire game. For example, i have a sprite bg, that moves upon the green flag activating, i would to have all of its scripts to end when my character reaches a certain X & Y Point. a better example: upon green flag,my hero is positioned in middle of sprite Background, now above my hero is a trail into a forest ---

Check out my projects There the sickest thing on here. Just look up project Zero, or click my name, and be exposed to the future of scratch Gaming. JUST FINISHED GUITAR HERO: PLATINUM http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/shadowhalo3/90280

#66 2007-11-09 13:36:23

shadowhalo3
Scratcher

ultimately leading into and bringing upon new sprite BG. however i have to make the previous sprite BG's scripts say: forever if-scene=1-and-up is pressed (down,left, ect.)-move5 steps-Else if-scene doesnt=1-stop script. i have to do this w/ all of my Sprite BG scripts,and each new one that i make. Now what i'm proprosing is that this command is made: forever if-scene=1 - and ( up,down, or left pressed etc.) move x steps - else if scene isnt = to 1 then - cancel All current sprites scripts

Check out my projects There the sickest thing on here. Just look up project Zero, or click my name, and be exposed to the future of scratch Gaming. JUST FINISHED GUITAR HERO: PLATINUM http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/shadowhalo3/90280

#67 2007-11-09 13:41:35

shadowhalo3
Scratcher

the problem is the command: Stop Script only applies to 1 script at a time, i would like a script where you can cancel all of a sprite's scripts in one command,  without having to stop the whole game, or having to apply STOP SCRIPT to every new "forever if-else" command

Last edited by shadowhalo3 (2007-11-09 13:45:41)

#68 2007-11-09 20:57:38

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Stop-sprite is not included in V1.2, but might be possible in future releases.

One new feature of v1.2 that might help in the example you give is that you can check the costume number of other sprites and (I think, but I don't have v1.2 here at work to check) the background number.

#69 2007-11-10 08:44:58

johnm
Scratcher

Kevin,

The latest player (v18) is supposed to support all the features of Scratch 1.2. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Note: Based on feedback from you and others, we've decided to change the meaning of tempo from "percent" to "beats per minute" and to make it global. The player reflects these changes and so will the final Scratch 1.2. However, the beta version is still using percent so if you use the tempo command right now you will see differences between Scratch 1.2 beta and the player.

-- John

#70 2007-11-10 09:22:52

Pikachanian
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Cool new blocks. I am going to see if I can put those new math functions to good use  wink
The one block I was really hoping for was a touching "sprite" at x,y block. Put that one at the top of your to do list  smile

[blocks]<< <touching[  <and> << <( <x position> <=>  )> <and> <( <y position> <=>  )> >> >>

Hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi @:0
(Look at the end of it to see Elvis.)
I'm only 11, and I have an IQ of 124! According to 3 different tests!

#71 2007-11-10 09:28:30

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

shadowhalo3 wrote:

a command where you can cancel all of a sprites scripts without having to halt the entire game. For example, i have a sprite bg, that moves upon the green flag activating, i would to have all of its scripts to end when my character reaches a certain X & Y Point. a better example: upon green flag,my hero is positioned in middle of sprite Background, now above my hero is a trail into a forest ---

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you post it on the Suggestion forum? This thread is about version 1.2 and bugs in it. No new features are going to be added to version 1.2. Your suggestion could be good for version 1.3 or later. Thanks.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#72 2007-11-10 12:13:50

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

There seems to be a bug when double-clicking a file from Windows Explorer.

The project doesn't load and some  Squeak debugging type code pops up.

The project works fine if Scratch is open and the file is opened within Scratch.

This is happening with my Logic program.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/SimpleScratch/52491

regards

Simon

Last edited by SimpleScratch (2007-11-10 12:14:50)

#73 2007-11-10 15:50:38

Pikachanian
Scratcher

shadowhalo3 wrote:

to andersmh or whom it may concern,

during my long use of scratch,i've wanted the use of these commands:

[blocks] you can do it like this

<repeat until><( ----- <=> ----- )>
<end>

Last edited by Pikachanian (2007-11-10 16:12:43)

Hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi @:0
(Look at the end of it to see Elvis.)
I'm only 11, and I have an IQ of 124! According to 3 different tests!

#74 2007-11-10 18:05:28

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I'm very glad that the scratch team decided to go with a global beats/minute for tempo.
That will make the music teachers happy, since it is what they have been using for decades (if not centuries).

I think that there are real pedagogical (that means "related to teaching") advantages to sticking with standards, which is why I was a bit upset that scratch has direction flipped from what mathematicians have been using and teaching for decades.  Everywhere except in scratch, right is 0 degrees and up is 90 degrees.

#75 2007-11-11 14:47:40

Toasty
Scratcher

I have downloaded this new better version and it all downloaded and everything but when

http://i44.tinypic.com/263wpxe.png
Lovin' Toast

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Version 1.2 to be released around mid November. Testing going on now.

Board footer