This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2010-12-20 14:51:56

sanddude
Scratcher

Re: READ THIS BEFORE SUGGESTING ANYTHING

I love the 1-5 stars idea! The "but new members will quit" argument doesn't do it for me. I wish people here could stop being so sensitive. If you don't want to get criticism don't post stuff on the internet, for gosh sakes.

http://www.bronyland.com/images/quiz/banner_rainbowdash.jpg

#127 2010-12-20 19:24:05

Chrischb
Scratcher

Ah well, there's nothing you can do to stop that, really  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#128 2010-12-20 23:37:54

helltank
Scratcher

sanddude wrote:

I love the 1-5 stars idea! The "but new members will quit" argument doesn't do it for me. I wish people here could stop being so sensitive. If you don't want to get criticism don't post stuff on the internet, for gosh sakes.

[inserts sarcastic comment about how sanddude criticizes everybody, and the 1-5 stars rule is just another way to do that]

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

#129 2010-12-21 04:45:54

mathematics
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

mathematics wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

7. Scratch 3D

That should explain a lot. The problem is, I didn't see any members of the Scratch Team reply, so I don't know what they'd say. But the posters mentioned have points, and they should be taken seriously.

They have said no in many places: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Lol  smile

Then fix it!  tongue

#130 2010-12-21 13:25:55

projecthelper
New Scratcher

what about the choise to let your project bying rated?

#131 2010-12-26 03:27:21

Chrischb
Scratcher

Ugh, I keep forgetting to check for replies  sad

*goes off to fix what mathematics said*

@projecthelper: It seems a bit odd to me, but you can always suggest that if you wish  smile

#132 2011-01-03 11:48:38

benjamin2
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

5. 1-5 Stars

My first update! (Yeah, like you care.) I saw two instances of it on the suggestions area, which prompted me to place it here... it's been around already, but it's about time the answer was known.

I browsed around the different topics, and it wasn't long before there was the answer:

BWOG wrote:

The Scratch Team has already said no because they think that then new programmers will be discouarged that people rated it 1 so they leave Scratch. I wish they would add it.

To be honest, I never thought of that. *blush*. But that's true... think from a new user's perspective. You upload your first project, and Whoo-Hoo! It's on! You wait eagerly for any response, and what you see is a 1 star rating.
"Oh, that's nice," you think, before putting down a bunch of angry replies (if you've noticed the reply feature, that is).

Here's something else:

big-bang wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:
That would be cool! Rate whatever they think of the project and there could be a highest rated spot on the front page...

1 person rates 5 stars and nobody else has rated it - instant front page.
It should have to have 9< ratings to be eligible for the front page.

The-Whiz replied...

The-Whiz wrote:

How about it has to have 10 or more ratings to be on the front page and it starts out as a 5?

Or when you rate it it adds to a mass total, and it automatically rates it 1 if you don't rate it...

So:
Project A: 5
Project B: 5
Someone rates project a 2 and Project B 4:
Project A: 7
Project B: 9

And so on.

That seems a bit complicated (or maybe I'm just a bit dim  tongue ). But there's that post about the Scratch Team's reason, and they're the ones who decide.

Couldn't there just be an average as to your last point? EXAMPLE:

Project A: 3
Project B: 3

Then someone rates A 2 and B 5.

Project A: 2.5
Project B: 4.0

http://i.imgur.com/gp6tZ.gif

#133 2011-01-06 08:34:57

Rocker98585
Scratcher

if you dont know how to program sprites like this, i will show you. what i mean is,
if you want to click a sprite to show a sprites here it is

1st sprite:
<broadcast[ <when[  ]clicked>

2nd sprite:
<when I receive[

so then you do when i receive: (example) do this.

#134 2011-01-09 16:50:09

agentblueberry
Scratcher

I want Scratch to be 3D, but it will never happen. I don't want to use Starlogo, because I can't make my own models. If layers was a variable, then we could make scratch games look like 3D games sinc size and layers mixed together will resemble the z-axis.

The story of agent Blueberry in the works: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/agentblueberry/1070585 You must download it to play it.

#135 2011-01-13 04:08:59

helltank
Scratcher

Rocker98585 wrote:

if you dont know how to program sprites like this, i will show you. what i mean is,
if you want to click a sprite to show a sprites here it is

1st sprite:
<broadcast[ <when[  ]clicked>

2nd sprite:
<when I receive[

so then you do when i receive: (example) do this.

So let's say the sprites are bullets, and you make 3 bullets. Well, that's what people are doing, but others are complaining for infinite bullets! They want a "when spacebar pressed,spawn a clone of sprite1(bullet)". But this will, of course, cause uberlag and games would be too easy.

@All who want infinite bullets-Play an old style arcade top to bottom plane combat game. The ones where you mash buttons and blue bullets fly out, and there're bombs and enemies and square weapon boxes with letters on them.

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

#136 2011-01-26 12:02:40

Hi9045
Scratcher

On the "Locking downloads": For those of you who have a dsi system, with wi-fi, and Flipnote Hantena, you know that there is locking downloads. There has always been a lot of rage on that, and huge fights, and even stuff like: Add a million stars and I will unlock. Its just a huge mess, and I would hate to see something like that happen on Scratch. While you can still download things on Flipnote, just not edit them, it still causes huge messes. I think Flipnote Hantena/Nintendo has a reason to do this, because a lot of people copy other people, and they layout is a little weird, so it literally looks like they're own, yet its actually someone else's. And there is so many things on Flipnote Hantena, that it would be a little hard to moderate every one, so I think Nintendo has an excuse, except it still causes huge messes, fights and "add a million stars and I will unlock", or if this gets into most popular, I will unlock. (Most popular you probably guessed is like Featured projects) I would hate to see something like that happen on Scratch, has I think its one of the only places on the net that is full of mostly nice people, and is moderated well, not like YouTube, who has more teens, and people who use cuss words and insult people, its just a little overwhelming.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/inannales/Emoticons/pinocchio.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/lol.gif I poked you!  big_smile

#137 2011-01-27 20:32:30

ihaveamac
Scratcher

You should update #11 saying there was a Scratch Viewer iPhone app, but that apple took it down because of it downloading and running code.

~ihaveamac - visit ihaveamac.net

#138 2011-01-28 19:12:00

peterkap
Scratcher

Another Reason why chatrooms shouldn't be on scratch:
Scratch is not Facebook,My Space,Aim,ect.
If you want to chat with people on scratch ask them for their email or aim or whatever,and chat with him.The point of scratch is to program.Not to chat.

#139 2011-01-28 19:21:18

coolstuff
Community Moderator

peterkap wrote:

If you want to chat with people on scratch ask them for their email or aim or whatever,and chat with him.The point of scratch is to program.Not to chat.

Precisely! It should be mentioned, however, that giving out emails and IM usernames will be removed from Scratch... You'll have to trade usernames elsewhere.

#140 2011-01-28 19:23:44

peterkap
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

peterkap wrote:

Precisely! It should be mentioned, however, that giving out emails and IM usernames will be removed from Scratch... You'll have to trade usernames elsewhere.

Yes...Which is another problem...

#141 2011-02-20 23:35:30

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Hey Chrischb,

I'm finding that a lot of people are not viewing this topic, and I'm wondering if it's because of the title. I'm thinking that changing the title to something like "Read this thread before suggesting anything" might be a better way to get Scratchers to read ideas that have been suggested and resolved already. What do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#142 2011-02-21 01:03:04

Chrischb
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Hey Chrischb,

I'm finding that a lot of people are not viewing this topic, and I'm wondering if it's because of the title. I'm thinking that changing the title to something like "Read this thread before suggesting anything" might be a better way to get Scratchers to read ideas that have been suggested and resolved already. What do you think?

Sure, go ahead  tongue

#143 2011-02-21 09:57:25

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Chrischb wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hey Chrischb,

Sure, go ahead  tongue

Changed. Made it in All Caps, too. If that doesn't catch the attention of people posting repeat suggestions I don't know what will.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#144 2011-02-21 11:14:20

charliezx9
New Scratcher

You want them to make it on iPhones! Well well well, do you  know what computer programming is well its what scratch have to do to make scratch. I had a go at it and I realized  that it take years of practice but iPhones are double as hard. But what about scratch 3D you make 3D stuff not scratch

Now everyone knows your stupid thnks to me!  smile   tongue

#145 2011-02-21 12:34:44

kayybee
Scratcher

Hopefully more people will finally view this thread.
I've seen tons of suggestions:
3D scratch!
Scratch on iPhones!
Chatrooms!
PMing!

And all the rest of the things on this thread.

#146 2011-02-21 19:36:53

Chrischb
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hey Chrischb,

Sure, go ahead  tongue

Changed. Made it in All Caps, too. If that doesn't catch the attention of people posting repeat suggestions I don't know what will.

yikes  When I first saw that I jumped xD

I know it should help, but it sort of makes me look like one of those people that goes "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP POSTIN' YOUR STUFF AND READ THIS FOR ONCE" things  tongue

I'll put a note in the topic post. ;P

#147 2011-02-21 20:13:04

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Chrischb wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Sure, go ahead  tongue

I know it should help, but it sort of makes me look like one of those people that goes "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP POSTIN' YOUR STUFF AND READ THIS FOR ONCE" things  tongue

Yeah, I know, it's rather overbearing, but sometimes screaming "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP POSTIN' YOUR STUFF AND READ THIS FOR ONCE" will get Scratchers to at least take the time out to read the sticky thread before posting a suggestion (this especially for new Scratchers who may not yet be familiar with topics that have been suggested [and rejected] already). ^^;

#148 2011-02-22 04:21:20

Chrischb
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Yeah, I know, it's rather overbearing, but sometimes screaming "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP POSTIN' YOUR STUFF AND READ THIS FOR ONCE" will get Scratchers to at least take the time out to read the sticky thread before posting a suggestion (this especially for new Scratchers who may not yet be familiar with topics that have been suggested [and rejected] already). ^^;

Heh heh... and along with the fact that they only need to read the contents to see what's resolved and what's not, it seems like things are gonna improve  big_smile

#149 2011-02-22 10:06:43

cpumaster930
Scratcher

I just read that whole thing xD

http://i.imgur.com/Qd0lu.png

#150 2011-02-23 21:16:07

aweman
Scratcher

So sorry, I had a real comment here, but I just realized it's in the wrong place. I'll move it right away  smile . You can just delete this post if you want.

Last edited by aweman (2011-02-23 21:17:27)

Board footer