This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-07-22 03:51:34

spacetime
Scratcher

Next step after Scratch

I wonder what should be the next step after teaching Scratch?
What programming language is suitable to teach after Scratch?

Thanks.

#2 2009-07-22 05:35:47

markyparky56
Scratcher

Re: Next step after Scratch

im not really an expert on this bit, but i would persoanly move onto either ruby or python, or something like them.

Ruby

Python

or you could move onto a more advanced visual programing its not exactly visual, but its incredibly powerful. it does 2D and 3D

Gamemaker

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#3 2009-07-22 09:53:25

golfer3
Scratcher

i'd move to python.  Its pretty cool.

#4 2009-07-24 01:15:38

spacetime
Scratcher

Thanks, I have no experience with Ruby or Python but I will take a look.

#5 2009-07-24 12:30:38

chrisg
Scratch Team

Almost any language is a reasonable next step after scratch. I think which language is best depends largely on what you're trying to accomplish with that language, or what type of programming you're most interested in doing.

For example, in the CS50 course at Harvard David Malan uses Scratch as a brief introduction before launching into Java programming.

I think Ruby and Python (links above) are also reasonable choices, as is Processing

All of the above also have the advantage of being free and multi-platform.

But the question is really what is the point of the 'next' language? Are you looking to  teach object oriented programming - pick something that was designed as an object oriented language (like Ruby), not something with OO added in later (e.g., C++). Do you want the programs you write to be able to run in a browser - pick something like Java or Processing, which can run as Java applets. Processing is also a good choice if you want to do animation and cool visual effects. Interested in 3D simulations? take a look at Starlogo TNG. Want to develop web applications - maybe PHP is a good choice although you can do web applications in other languages like Python and Ruby as well. So basically, I don't think there's any one right next language - there are many of them.

In the end, you'll just need to pick something and see what you can do with it.

Board footer