This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 Wednesday - Roll call?

#1 2009-06-13 13:07:13

Room243
Scratcher

Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 Wednesday - Roll call?

I am looking forward to the Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 coming up this Wednesday - Anyone else joining me? 

Here is the description of it:

"Learn how to create interactive stories, games, and animations in this one-day, hands-on workshop. We'll explore the use of Scratch, a free, multi-platform programming language, to create music, art, and other media. We'll also analyze examples of Scratch projects that students have designed, built, and shared with the world through Scratch's worldwide collaborative community. Finally, we'll look at how Scratch can reinforce 21st century skills such as collaboration, creativity, and mathematical and logical reasoning skills."

Here is a link for more information - http://www.edtechteacher.org/workshops2009_Scratch.html

It is held at a strange time of year (last day - half day, at my school) but I still have a little more energy in me to absorb this conference before summer break.  I have used Scratch in the classroom this year but I am looking forward to building on my knowledge, networking with others and learning from other Scratch users.

Anyone coming?

Lisa

#2 2009-06-13 14:12:44

dkiang
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 Wednesday - Roll call?

Hi Lisa,

I'll be joining you at the Scratch workshop this Wednesday... Yikes! Looks like I'm teaching it! :-) I'm hoping that you will share how things went with your classes using Scratch. We have a great roster of other educators signed up to join us, and I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and brainstorming new ones. Let me know if there is anything else you are interested in learning. I'm looking forward to seeing you and everyone else!

--Douglas Kiang.

#3 2009-06-13 16:33:59

Room243
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 Wednesday - Roll call?

Hi Doug -

I teach technology in Massachusetts at the middle school level.  I know how beneficial Scratch is and see value in teaching it.  I struggle with how much time I should devote to it - it doesn't directly hit on the state frameworks for technology that I base my program on. (Maybe you could elaborate on that at the conference?)  I only see these kids once a week for 45 minutes so I need to have a solid base on why I would spend a month on Scratch... other than I love it  wink

I would love to see how others are using it and if there are any "super projects" hitting the frameworks through Scratch.  For example a school project on Internet Safety using the Scratch platform. 

Looking forward to it...

Lisa

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Massachusetts Workshop 6/17 Wednesday - Roll call?

Board footer