This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-10-07 01:11:38

JoelP
Scratcher

More realistic Overdrive guitar

the overdrive guitar sounds like a church organ.

do you want to see  real 3D ? come here and have a 3D runaround. the game will soon be a fighting game, as you can see when you press space   http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/JoelP/33274

#2 2007-10-07 11:57:53

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: More realistic Overdrive guitar

The sound of the instruments depends on the MIDI player used.  You will get somewhat different sounds from the Java implementation than from the Squeak implementation (and there are different sound libraries that can come with the Java implementation).  I don't know if the Squeak implementations have different sounds on the PC and the Mac, but I think that they do.

Thus, it is not enough to say "the overdrive guitar"---you have to say on which implementation (Java applet on the Web site or Squeak version that is standalone), on which platform (Mac OS X or PC), and (for Java) which sound library was installed.

#3 2007-10-08 01:05:30

JoelP
Scratcher

I don't get all this Java-Squeak implementation stuff,  we don't do much IT at school.

Last edited by JoelP (2007-10-08 01:06:32)

do you want to see  real 3D ? come here and have a 3D runaround. the game will soon be a fighting game, as you can see when you press space   http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/JoelP/33274

#4 2007-10-08 12:41:32

DrJim
Scratcher

Kevin pretty well covered the Java-Squeak issue.  If you are running on the web site, you are running a Java applet. If you have downloaded the program to your own computer, you are running the Squeak version.

What really counts for MIDI, however, is what sound library you have installed - regardless of whether you are Mac or PC.  This is not always obvious,  since a lot of software installs its own set of sounds - plus the default set seems to change with each release of the OS.  Quite a few audio editors will actually allow you to explicity assign a sound to each MIDI voice but I don't know if this is true for any of the free editors.

Bottom line, however, is that for the downloaded version of a program the sounds you get will depend on what is installed on your machine which is something the Scratch team can't change.

Last edited by DrJim (2007-10-08 12:43:25)

#5 2007-10-08 20:23:39

JoelP
Scratcher

well, our computer is eleven years old (with very few software improvements), so i suppose that could be why.

Board footer