This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2009-06-19 01:55:57

ElPapa
Scratcher

Re: Preliminary Version of Scratch 1.4 Available for Testing

Umm... I kinda have a complaint about it. The painting Pallette is not as full as it once was. I am finding it very hard to do respriting with the lack of colours now avalible on it. And yes, I know about the other thing to choose exactly but it is too hard to get the right colour on it.

Spider Monkey is finished! ...Not that any of you will know what I'm talking about, but please check it out.  smile  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ElPapa/1021823

#127 2009-06-19 09:26:59

ZapperX
Scratcher

^ that's basically what i said; i'm not even going to switch to 1.4 unless they bring back the old menubar, or even the whole look, and the color picker. i think they could just make it 1.3 + the new blocks + the new display modes. all other changes are unnecessary!

#128 2009-06-19 10:57:55

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

ZapperX wrote:

^ that's basically what i said; i'm not even going to switch to 1.4 unless they bring back the old menubar, or even the whole look, and the color picker. i think they could just make it 1.3 + the new blocks + the new display modes. all other changes are unnecessary!

A lot of the other changes were necessary to make it work on computers with very small display areas.  Making it so that Scratch runs on those computers opens up Scratch to lots more people around the world.  I even found it useful when I was traveling with just my cheap Netbook PC (with an 800x600 screen) and I found that I could use Scratch 1.4 even on that machine...it was very cool!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#129 2009-06-19 11:33:42

SmartIrishKid
Scratcher

For the color picker, I would recommend an option to be bigger or smaller.  Even better, it could expand like the rainbow picker does.

Discuss future Scratch RPGs, online games, and more!

#130 2009-06-19 17:29:13

Imic
Scratcher

Have you guys at the scratch team decided on a date for the final release of scratch 1.4?

#131 2009-06-19 19:35:51

DarthPickley
Scratcher

the glitch that I found was that when I tried to do
[blocks]
<point towards( <{ Spritename }> )>
[/blocks]
it didn't work. a feature they said they included didn't work even one bit! and that's what I call a glitch!  sad

#132 2009-06-19 19:38:51

DarthPickley
Scratcher

and I wish they could add the mesh again, just as a hidden feature. like shift-click "share" or something and it will be included as a choice in the menu, to enable it. or that you have to hack it or something somehow to get it, or they could release a version where it is enabled. then the new scratch users don't have to worry about it!!

#133 2009-06-19 19:39:11

jake451998
Scratcher

johnadmin wrote:

Curious about Scratch version 1.4? Willing to test a pre-release version to help us find bugs?

The preliminary version of Scratch 1.4 (officially known as "Scratch 1.4 Release Candidate") is now available at:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_1.4_Release_Candidate

The final version of Scratch 1.4 is expected at the end of June. It will include improvements to the sample projects, updated translations, and fixes to any major bugs that show up during testing.

If you try this preliminary version, you should update to the final version when it becomes available.

-- John (for the MIT Scratch Team)

Hey,guys! cool I found a bug:If your project is too long and won't load on scratch.mit.edu then it won't save  sad

jake451998 out!

#134 2009-06-20 21:50:58

aquastarfan
Scratcher

johnadmin wrote:

Curious about Scratch version 1.4? Willing to test a pre-release version to help us find bugs?

The preliminary version of Scratch 1.4 (officially known as "Scratch 1.4 Release Candidate") is now available at:

The final version of Scratch 1.4 is expected at the end of June. It will include improvements to the sample projects, updated translations, and fixes to any major bugs that show up during testing.

If you try this preliminary version, you should update to the final version when it becomes available.

Okay. I found a bug in the Windows XP Version. Every time I open it, and I click the Maximize button(to make it bigger) It maximizes, but ends up looking strange. The actual Border maximized, but the program looked like it did before, and when I press a button,It becomes normal again.

#135 2009-06-20 23:05:43

Oldschooler2
Scratcher

A suggestion here: you know when ever you load up large png files or whatever (as sprites), and the "sprite" shrinks down and ends up screwing up the resolution, could it be possible to eliminate that in the final version of Scratch 1.4? Such as enlarging the scratch world, I meant.

#136 2009-06-21 20:46:43

greatpopcorn
Scratcher

I wanted mesh so bad! And sense I don't have admin priviliges, I can't do Snyff. Man, I started last year and they still don't have mesh. I mean come on scratch team, there are over 100 fourms basicly pleading for mesh! OK, so some people don't want mesh. So make mesh an optional add-in! I want mesh as bad as anyone else. So why not scratch team, why not?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Signature yet to be approved.

#137 2009-06-22 06:13:58

GoaldNRoar
Scratcher

I like 1.4 I'm going to use it now! [blocks]<move( 100 )steps>[/blocks]

#138 2009-06-22 08:18:25

marcsteene
Scratcher

A few bugs/additions i would like in the latest Scratch release:

-Optimise it to run faster (Both the project and the coding section. Lots of <Touching (Sprite)> blocks literally eat the FPS)
-An FPS counter, much like the timer, which can be shown by the user. It is already possible with variables, but it would be nicer to just have it there and available.
-Being able to set a variables X, Y, and show settings (such as slider etc.). I hate having to show my variables before saving, and if i forget, I have to re-place them all.
-When copying/editing a costume, the scroll bar goes back to the top. This has cost me a lot of time when dealing with lots of costumes  sad
-A 'Hide Mouse' option, which will hide the mouse when playing a game
-A Hide/Show list option

Also, in Scratch 1.4, the program occasionally mistakes my left clicks for right clicks. And sometimes when I do right click, it takes a while for the options to appear (if it all).

That's all I believe should be added to 1.4. For future versions, you should consider:

-Efficient Mesh network to allow for online play
-Using vector based graphics, rather than bitmaps. This means when a sprite resizes it won't pixelate, and it won't look displaced when it rotates.
-An option to increase the stage resolution to a max of, say, 960x720 (double the current). It is optional.
-There should be a 'Volume' block which controls the volume of the entire project and not a single sprite.

#139 2009-06-22 10:13:04

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

I found a bug, and I have a Question.

The Bug is: When you import 2 or more sounds, and the first time you try to play the second or any sounds after that, it will play the first sound if in presentation mode. It stops  when you play the sound in work mode.

My question is: WHERE IS THE MESH FEATURE? that is what i've really been looking forward to in 1.4,  yikes

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#140 2009-06-22 10:17:37

Oneandonly
Scratcher

aquastarfan wrote:

johnadmin wrote:

Okay. I found a bug in the Windows XP Version. Every time I open it, and I click the Maximize button(to make it bigger) It maximizes, but ends up looking strange. The actual Border maximized, but the program looked like it did before, and when I press a button,It becomes normal again.

I'm on XP, but that never happened.

#141 2009-06-22 10:53:20

ClubMario
Scratcher

I was one of the first to get 1.4, and I love it. But it the final version, you should be able to export sprites from other projects like in older versions. Also, you should be able to delete a sprite by just right-clicking on it then clicking on delete, also in older versions. Other than that, it's pretty fun!

~ClubMario~ClubMario
~ClubMario~ClubMario

#142 2009-06-23 17:17:57

m44
Scratcher

you need to have carbon block font in 1.4

METAL SLUG is out!!! (here) and M44's BESTShttp://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6673/msbanner.jpg

#143 2009-06-23 18:02:11

PebblesRox
Scratcher

hmnwilson wrote:

YES!!
Edit 2: Unfortunately, they still haven't fixed the annoying bug in the costumes tab that makes it go to the top of the list every time you edit/copy/delete a costume. I was really hoping that had been fixed, but this is only the beta, right?

I agree, please please change this annoying feature.  It makes it extremely tedious to make changes to costumes when a sprite has more than seven costumes.

#144 2009-06-23 18:33:16

ActionCat210
Scratcher

********************DO NOT GET RID OF THIS ANN. FOURM, THIS IS IMPORTANT********************

Now, that the 1.4 release candidate of Scratch is out for beta (for awhile now actually) the scratch world has been upgraded a lot, but one thing is for 1.5, I'm taking a vote for 1.5 new scripts to be added, for example a mini-recieve block (in other words a smaller recieve block) cause 1.4 is frozen in ice, so, here is a pic of what I mean by mini

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Desktop/Mini%20block%202.GIF

(Remeber thats only a EXAMPLE of what I mean by mini.)
(I don't know if the pic show up though) but I'm taking a poll on this block, leave me a note on one of my projects if you like this idea.And I have more scripts that you might like if you like this one, and it would help a lot of peoples games, scripting and it would open a whole new realm for scripting for everyone.

Scratch Team asked me to post my idea for everyone to read for new 1.5 scripts, when it comes out, please if you have help questions about this ask, me, or if you have any ideas for the next version of scratch (Scratch 1.5) e-mail Scratch Team (and also, if you have the e-mail for Scratch Team, e-mail them your ideas or if you have ideas but don't have their e-mail, ask me for it cause I'll be happy to give it to you) and this is important, cause, if you have seen projects by archmage or Paddle2See, they might be able to help you pending.OK, thats all for now,   Thanks,
                                                                               ActionCat210

(P.S.-I can also get you the 1.4 release candidate link to download if you want it, and if so, just tell me on one of my projects.)
(P.S.S.-DO NOT ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE A MAC, I AM ONLY AVALIBLE FOR HELP FOR WINDOWS ONLY *in other words a PC*)

#145 2009-06-24 16:07:26

PebblesRox
Scratcher

johnadmin wrote:

Vista Issue

I've gotten a report from a Vista user that Scratch is not re-painting the screen when the window is resized. This problem will be fixed in the final version. It seems to work fine on Windows XP.

-- John

I'm using XP and when I click the maximize button, the blue frame expands but the grey part inside stays the same size.

The sprite editor could use a bigger color palette.  Another useful change to the sprite editor would be to allow the eye dropper tool to select the font color as well as the normal paint color.

#146 2009-06-25 02:02:01

billyedward
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

johnadmin wrote:

Yes, the experimental "mesh" feature was removed.

The "mesh" feature was a way to connect two (or more) computers running Scratch so that they could communicate. It appeared in one of the beta versions so that we could try it in a workshop session at MIT Scratch Day. It clearly has a lot of potential, but in that version it was also difficult to set up a mesh (e.g. you had to type in raw IP addresses) and some aspects of the communication were confusing.

Networked Scratch has potential, but it needs more work. We will continue to think about it and perhaps it will appear in a future version of Scratch.

-- John

Ok - I understand.

And I beleive it is better to keep it out some time. But that means we can still give suggestions on it?

And to everyone else who thought it would be really useful, If I am allowed to (John?) I might give out a version of the Scratch beta with networking once I manage to edit out the share button xD. Believe me, it is not as useful as you might think it is.

Here's how to get rid of the share button:
1) open the browser.
2) navigate to Scratch-UI-panes > ScratchFrameMorph > initialisation > createToolbarPane.
3) You will see on the 10th line of the function  ('Share!' #share 'Share this project online') [note that this line wraps around a couple times]
4) simply delete this definition.
5) if you want to be really thorough, you can delete the associated function, too. But anyone who can get at that will surely think of the alternate methods of sharing a project from a spin-off of scratch. (which I won't say here  smile  )

"I'd love to change the world, but they haven't released the source code yet."
Check out the latest version of Streak --> http://billy.scienceontheweb.net/Streak

#147 2009-06-25 02:07:47

billyedward
Scratcher

PebblesRox wrote:

johnadmin wrote:

Vista Issue

I've gotten a report from a Vista user that Scratch is not re-painting the screen when the window is resized. This problem will be fixed in the final version. It seems to work fine on Windows XP.

-- John

I'm using XP and when I click the maximize button, the blue frame expands but the grey part inside stays the same size.

The sprite editor could use a bigger color palette.  Another useful change to the sprite editor would be to allow the eye dropper tool to select the font color as well as the normal paint color.

It can. Here's what you do:
1) Use the select tool to get the right colour.
2) Click the two colour previews to switch them.
3) select the text tool.
4) Click the two colour previews to switch them back.
5) And type away!

"I'd love to change the world, but they haven't released the source code yet."
Check out the latest version of Streak --> http://billy.scienceontheweb.net/Streak

#148 2009-06-25 22:40:27

Animax
Scratcher

BetaTesting wrote:

um... so if i download via windows installer, will it overwrite 1.3.1? will i lose the projects i created on that? i made this acc for 1.4, as i'm worried i'll lose my progress in 1.3.1. What will happen if i download it? will all my projects and scripts remain untouched?

Yes they will, I install the new version of Scratch all the time (including now) and my Scratch projects are all still there, taking up a full gigabyte of computer space.

#149 2009-06-28 10:57:26

dsi72
Scratcher

i didn't find any glitches. 1.4 is AWESOME!!!<go to front>

#150 2009-06-28 17:53:43

jojo88
Scratcher

downloading it  smile  thank you thank you  smile  ^_^ ok cheack out this gallry i think it could become fetured after i add more of the art stuff that i do http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/51933

Board footer