This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#926 2010-01-01 15:45:49

scmb1
Scratch Team

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

Hello! I think I applied a while ago, but I've done a lot of thinking since then.

As curator, my goal would be to give more attention to projects that have less views than they deserve. I won't set a limit on views, since it should depend on the age of the project and how good it is. I'd be much more likely to curate an amazing year-old project with 100 views than an good week-old project with 20 views. I will certainly not curate projects because of bribery or begging and will not curate a user's project just because he or she is my friend. That, of course, does not necessarily mean that I will not curate a friend's project, but I will use the same criteria on his or her project as everyone else's.

I especially enjoy math and science tools and simulations, as well pen design projects,  but appreciate all well made projects. I will try to curate a wide range of project types, in an attempt to satisfy as many users as possible. I enjoy math, but I realize I am older than many Scratchers, so the math projects I curate will be understandable and enjoyable by most users.

I will look for projects in my favorites, my galleries (especially "We Recommend" and "scmb1's Picks"), other users' favorites and galleries, and in the "Proposed projects to get featured (experimental)" thread in the Show and Tell forum. If I get chosen to be curator, I will plan out the projects to curate in advance and will put extensive effort into choosing. Like some past curators, I will make a topic in Inspiration and More to explain my choices.

I have been Scratching for a few months less than a year. At first, I was completely unknown. Since then, I have been lucky enough to be on the front page a few times, so I know how great it feels! I want to give more people that experience. I have helped many people during my time on Scratch and often look in "All About Scratch" to find a question I can answer. I have made many math projects meant to help others with their projects (ie "The Parabolator," "The Ellipserator," and "Circle Works"). Early in my Scratch career I created a gallery, "Use This!", for projects like these, and still add projects there
regularly.  I often go to the "Recent Visitors" and "Newest Members" parts of the front page to find user I haven't heard of. I then look at their projects and give feedback. I am always looking for new ways to help!

Thank you for reading my application and I hope you will consider me for a future curating position. Happy New Year!

Last edited by scmb1 (2010-01-01 16:00:08)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#927 2010-01-01 16:40:52

slitherds
Scratcher

I would like to be one, I love games and animations, i also like how to toutouriols

#928 2010-01-02 10:38:16

coolperson
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

coolperson wrote:

I have posted here a bit, I don't hang around this thread alot because I want to give the scratch team time to think about my posts here. I've decided to try again.
I've been on scratch a long time. But not since early 2009 did I really get into scratch.
aybe it was because I played more videogames than I made them. It could be a long list of things. That dosen't really matter though. But scratch taught me how to program. As of me writing this, it has taught approximately 96,729 people how to, including me. I recently started a gallery called "Projects worthy of the front page". I find projects that I belive people spent a lot of time at, and deserve more than what they got. I may be very accurate, too. I put the game Inkball Power Play in my gallery. It was on the front page in a matter of days. I only put games from people who have a very low fame rate. I started the gallery because I wanted to try curtating. The gallery hasn't gotten much fame yet, but maybe it will as time goes on. If I get picked as curtator, I will try to find projects, (As every curtator has,) like the ones that I have put in Projects worthy of the front page None of the projects will have gotten on the front page before. They will all be deserving.
Please, please, please, consider me for a curtator. I know that you all are very busy, and some people should be in front of me in the line, but if this is what makes you decide on me as the curtator in 20 years, I'll be happy.

Werent you curator before?

No, that was coolstuff.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#929 2010-01-03 11:35:11

DarkMark3
Scratcher

I am hoping to become a scratch curater mainly because I would like to show lots of one sprite one script games that don't get many veiws that are not copys, games with good physics, and projects about not quitting  smile

[blocks]<when green flag clicked>[/blocks]
[blocks]<say[ never quit ]for( 10 )secs>[/blocks]
[blocks]<forever>[/blocks]
<turn cw( 10 )degrees>[/blocks]

Last edited by DarkMark3 (2010-01-03 11:37:48)

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7403/vamp3m.gif

#930 2010-01-03 15:11:52

funkymonkey
Scratcher

I have an idea. If I become the curator this is what I would do (and the next curators can do this too if they want): I am going to look at all of the projects that are in the thread about proposing projects to be featured and feature the ones that I see that are really good. I will try to select non-violent ones that can appeal to every age group, and that are well programmed and have good graphics, that people can benifit from seeing. Thanks!

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/hprules_photos/banner2.jpg
Kuzimu: Dawn of a New Age                                                                                                  Coming May 2010

#931 2010-01-04 01:41:26

BroomMop
Scratcher

I would very much like to be a curator. I really like to give new people a chance to be on the front page. I would choose new exiting things that would make people go, 'wow! Why havnt I heard of this before!?' I'd choose all different variety of things such as scroller, animation, funny, simple, complicated... Etc. I promis, if you choose me as a curator you won't be disapointed.

-BroomMop

#932 2010-01-04 05:35:05

doogle26
Scratcher

Awesome idea, i would love to be a part of this. im into the scrollers, first persons, highly detailed games that can woow anyone!
i also like 3d, anything that gets the blood flowing, which can hard even for multi million doller companys.
Thats why we need to focus on our community, because whats coming out from it is, well, amazing!!
Please consider me as a Curator, thanks!

#933 2010-01-04 05:38:30

ribbledude
Scratcher

If I were curator -I would choose preojects that are interesting, inventive and innovative. Projects that engage the person viewing it and that are imaginative and offer something fresh, different and well made, it doesn't have to be a Mona Lisa but something that makes you say ""how interesting" or "I wonder how they thought of this!!" I think projects that have obvious labor put into them and that display enginuity, creativity, and depth. Not just a replication of something already great, no matter how impressive the results (tetris,bejewled,castle defender, etc.) but something new. Idk that's just me

Last edited by ribbledude (2010-01-04 05:45:58)

#934 2010-01-04 12:38:28

eeve11
Scratcher

I would REALLY like to be a curator i've never been  before. I would choose inspirating and exiting projects.(i really hope this wasnt to short)

Last edited by eeve11 (2010-01-04 12:43:07)

http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/scratch/wanthelp/images/scratch-logo-wanthelp.gif
Founder of TP Titanium Productions want to join?: Join here!

#935 2010-01-04 16:22:34

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Thanks to Sparks for curating!   smile
The next curator is MRN.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#936 2010-01-04 16:50:12

gettysburg11
Scratcher

I would like to be curator because I feel that there are too many Scratchers that make great projects, but don't get the credit they deserve because of the way the Scratch community works, in that the popular users stay popular, and the unsung stay unsung. I'll try to curate games and animations, because I feel that both can contain good programming, even though most people stereotype against animations. It's a new year, and I'd like to see Scratch take a new turn as well. I feel that some of the projects I'd curate might bring back the welcoming feel of Scratch, to show that anyone can become a popular user. That is why I would like to be a curator.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#937 2010-01-04 17:09:59

gbrox
Scratcher

wink  Im Good With 3d Stuff  wink

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-ha more than 2 lines

#938 2010-01-04 18:27:19

Dev775
Scratcher

i would choose projects that are 100% cool and projects that are made great but are not geting enough credit

Last edited by Dev775 (2010-01-04 18:27:35)

#939 2010-01-04 20:08:13

coolperson
Scratcher

coolperson wrote:

I have posted here a bit, I don't hang around this thread alot because I want to give the scratch team time to think about my posts here. I've decided to try again.
I've been on scratch a long time. But not since early 2009 did I really get into scratch.
aybe it was because I played more videogames than I made them. It could be a long list of things. That dosen't really matter though. But scratch taught me how to program. As of me writing this, it has taught approximately 96,729 people how to, including me. I recently started a gallery called "Projects worthy of the front page". I find projects that I belive people spent a lot of time at, and deserve more than what they got. I may be very accurate, too. I put the game Inkball Power Play in my gallery. It was on the front page in a matter of days. I only put games from people who have a very low fame rate. I started the gallery because I wanted to try curtating. The gallery hasn't gotten much fame yet, but maybe it will as time goes on. If I get picked as curtator, I will try to find projects, (As every curtator has,) like the ones that I have put in Projects worthy of the front page None of the projects will have gotten on the front page before. They will all be deserving.
Please, please, please, consider me for a curtator. I know that you all are very busy, and some people should be in front of me in the line, but if this is what makes you decide on me as the curtator in 20 years, I'll be happy.

Anybody think anything about this?

#940 2010-01-05 10:21:55

Anime4ever
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Lots of Scratchers have told us they want to show their favorite projects on the Scratch homepage. So we created a new role called "Scratch curator."

You can find more information here:
http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Become_a_Scratch_Curator

If you'd like to become a curator, reply to this forum thread. Tell us the kind of projects you'd like to show, and why you want to show them. We'll choose curators that represent the diversity of the Scratch Community - girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds! We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

I support the idea. i would like to be curator. i would chose animations, games, projects that aren't gettong as much as the deserve and such

#941 2010-01-05 11:33:47

tom5X5
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator if possible, I dont mind which projects are shown, the reason i want to be a curator is because i want more views,i dont have many  sad
Thank You
smile

[blocks]<switch to costume[ very happy face [/blocks]

#942 2010-01-05 13:56:16

Oramis
Scratcher

OK, time for a real reason:
I really like cool game and animation projects, but unfortunately, now some silly remix projects, and chain letters are becoming popular. I wanted to spread the good word about some great games and animations, that often (Unfairly) don't get any attention. I think that I could let others know about REAL projects, which are created by many dedicated Scratchers for HOURS, and are ignored, solely because their creator is not a "celebrity". I'd like to help with getting these projects more attention, without being bias, and looking for "celebrities".

WOAH! That was one, thoughtful post XD

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9660/oramislogo.png if you're creative, and enjoy world-building and character-making.
http://i.imgur.com/JeF62.jpg

#943 2010-01-05 18:58:30

laser100
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator, and i like games.

#944 2010-01-05 19:19:24

funkymonkey
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Thanks to Sparks for curating!   smile
The next curator is MRN.

congrats to neptune  big_smile
did she even make a speech? lol i would like to see it if anyone knows the page number

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/hprules_photos/banner2.jpg
Kuzimu: Dawn of a New Age                                                                                                  Coming May 2010

#945 2010-01-05 23:12:53

xXMikeyPXx
Scratcher

I have been interested in becoming a scratch curator. Although I have my favorites, I'm always interested in finding new types of projects and programmers on the Scratch Website. I pick projects based on originality, smooth animation, impresive programming, art and humor. I will also select projects that i personally like and ones that i think arent getting the attention and praise it deserves. I want to make sure the people of Scratch will be able to see the greatest projects the website has to offer. Please take my request into honorable consideration. And Thank you very much for your time  smile

http://mikeyp-produckshunz.webs.com/forum%20signature.JPG

#946 2010-01-06 17:27:31

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Curators of Scratch

As of 2010-01-06

I   Cheddargirl
II   Toasty
III   Jasb
IV   Keroro645
V   Lanie
VI   Coolstuff
VII   Forest
VIII   Coka
IX   JSO
X   PetVet300
XI   Fullmoon
XII   Penguinsrock
XIII   The Whiz
XIV   Andresmh
XIV   SabGames
XV   ElPapa
XVI   Sparks
XVII  MyRedNeptune

In a year... someone will look at this and think: "wow, this must have been a LONG time ago!"

Last edited by illusionist (2010-01-06 17:28:40)

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#947 2010-01-06 21:36:54

coolperson
Scratcher

Oramis wrote:

OK, time for a real reason:
I really like cool game and animation projects, but unfortunately, now some silly remix projects, and chain letters are becoming popular. I wanted to spread the good word about some great games and animations, that often (Unfairly) don't get any attention. I think that I could let others know about REAL projects, which are created by many dedicated Scratchers for HOURS, and are ignored, solely because their creator is not a "celebrity". I'd like to help with getting these projects more attention, without being bias, and looking for "celebrities".

WOAH! That was one, thoughtful post XD

Uh, read 10 posts from people with reasons. They cover all of this. And you do knwo by saying

wrote:

WOAH! That was one, thoughtful post

You dampen you're chaces of getting curtator.

#948 2010-01-06 21:54:38

Chrischb
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Werent you curator before?

No, that was coolstuff.  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#949 2010-01-07 07:02:48

pinochio
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Final speech (Promise, as I have already made 4,000,000 speeches...)

I am pinochio, I have been on Scratch for a decently longt time (Almost a year), and over the course of that year I have learned MANY new things. I started off not knowing how to program anything, that did not involve the glide, Wait secs, and Hide block. So, I started asking for advice in the forums, downloading projects, and asking other experienced Scratchers. All of them have helped, to program pretty advanced, and creative things. And they have really taught me to use Scratch to its fullest potential. Now, people ask me for help, and I always gladly answer their questions, or upload a demo project.

I really do not care if I am on the front page sometimes, because it does not affect what projects I like, therefor, I would be a fair curator. I would pick Projects with many views, or little. For me it does not matter, as I pick projects that I like. Everyone always states they would pick projects with little views, but isn't the whole point of curator to show off projects you enjoy? Of course, I would still feature some projects without many views. I am on Scratch a lot, and would update the projects daily, or 2 projects every 2 days (I am still figuring that out).

I enjoy extremely creative projects, and programming is not the MAIN part of what type of things I would choose. If I think the project is entertaining, (Even if it was simple) I would most certainly curate it. I also like Gadgets, tools, and OS' as they show what type of potential Scratch has, and all the cool things that can be made with it. Generally, I will do my best to curate all categories of projects, whether they are absolute uncanny, fun, happy, or tragic projects.

The Scratch team wants to pick Scratchers who have been nice and helpful on this website.... This is the one point where I do not achieve maximum points at. I love to help people, as stated above, but in all honesty, I may have said some rude things on the website. Sometimes I use mild insults, do not use appropriate language, or upload projects with some music on it that has bad words in it. For all this, I apologize. I believe though, that over the past 3 months I have stopped doing the occasional bad thing, and my overall Scratch'havior has improved. In this paragraph, it seems like all I do is bad things, well that is wrong. It is just occasional.

I hope you may consider me being a curator, and that perhaps that will happen someday. I will try not to post in this thread anymore (No promises...) and I will just see what happens.

Thanks, and Scratch on,

Pinochio

Flat Out G

#950 2010-01-07 11:55:55

MrMunchkin
Scratcher

I'd love to be a curator! I prefer the platformers and scrolling games, as these utilize a lot of skills and more people will be realised for the projects they make... The majority of the projects curated aren't platformers/scrollers, which is a shame.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrMunchkin/958570 http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrMunchkin/1074952
Check Them Out!

Board footer