This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#5701 2013-04-01 18:30:46

gwas
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

the and . Pico is scary

#5702 2013-04-01 19:13:21

use643
New Scratcher

ill do it

#5703 2013-04-02 05:56:13

imadrainpipe
Scratcher

newnewfew wrote:

I think I should be a curator because I would curate simple but good projects, not really advanced ones which have lots of complicated maths functions. I would curate projects which most young people can understand and are suitable for young people. If someone has put a lot of effort into a project and it isn't very popular, I would curate it as well.

I think I'll be good at it because I have a good idea what most young people will enjoy and understand. I'd choose projects that are mostly made up of scripts like this:

when gf clicked
go to x: (0) y:(0)
forever
 turn cw (2) degrees
 move (10) steps
 change [color v] effect by (1)
end
Not this:

when gf clicked
go to x: (0) y: (0)
forever
 stamp
 change y by ([sin v] of ([cos v] of ([tan v] of (pick random (0) to (99)))))
 change x by ([sin v] of ([cos v] of ([tan v] of (pick random (0) to (99)))))
 clear
end
For example, My Fix it Felix project fits my requirements (although of course I won't curate my own projects).

I would curate any type of simple project, as long as it's suitable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
-Newnewfew.

Complex ones deserve to be curated much more than simple ones

#5704 2013-04-02 11:00:00

knifekathikarti
Scratcher

In my view a project should be creative , interactive and enjoyable.I need the project in this way,because

For gamers: It is used to improve remixing the games even if they don't know to enter scripts ,like changing a mario gme by taking the mario and make the mario as driving by painting.

For animators:Used to make the animation enjoyable and thinkable.

For children:As  u  know it is used to improve their creativity in the young age itself.

The only thing i wish to say is "give me a CHANCE"

I end my note by saying 2 words "thank you"

#5705 2013-04-02 13:45:19

qwerts9000
Scratcher

knifekathikarti wrote:

In my view a project should be creative , interactive and enjoyable.I need the project in this way,because

For gamers: It is used to improve remixing the games even if they don't know to enter scripts ,like changing a mario gme by taking the mario and make the mario as driving by painting.

For animators:Used to make the animation enjoyable and thinkable.

For children:As  u  know it is used to improve their creativity in the young age itself.

The only thing i wish to say is "give me a CHANCE"

I end my note by saying 2 words "thank you"

Nice speech!

#5706 2013-04-03 15:59:13

CaptainDoritos
New Scratcher

I want to be a curator! I promise to find games that have less than 50 views, 10 love-it's, and 5 remixes & downloads. I also promise to curate games that are in less than 10 galleries. I'll try as many times as I have to to be curator!

#5707 2013-04-03 19:57:21

zevbo
Scratcher

I am applying to be curator because I think I would be curator. I have seen many great projects without many views. I think I can help. I have been doing scratch for 6 years now and I would always have loved to be curator. At times, I would spend 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day. With my experience I have thought of some key thing I like to see in projects, even though the things I normally look for aren't everything. I look for creativity. I love games that have a creative idea. A game or optical allusion that you've never seen. If something is a remix I always look at the project it was remixed on. I judge the original project by the changes. I won't curate drawings if they and I won't curate animations unless if the animation is just a bunch of pictures. I like projects that make you learn something. More so if theres a lot of programming to make special effects. This brings me to my third thing. I like complicated code that is as simple as possible and runs as smoothly as possible. After all, programming is the point!(thats why I don't really like drawings. There fine, but there not for a programming website) If it's a good project but one of there first projects it will have a better chance of getting curated. That shows a bright future and hard work! I won't curate projects from famous scratchers or projects that have +100 views. This is one  of my favorites. Under 100 views. Optical allusion. Not by someone famous. Creative. The only thing it doesn't have is very hard to make code.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/tosco97/2275867
I can't wait!  big_smile

#5708 2013-04-04 11:15:52

Aqibaslam123
Scratcher

Ok here it goes it's the 7th time but still I thing curating is fun I curate projects for the sake of the work he has done not for getting it more views I make it like an award for the maker of the project!

Experience Real car racing here now with save and load system!!
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Aqibaslam123/3206807

#5709 2013-04-04 17:11:48

Firedrake969
Scratcher

I suppose I should retry now:

Greetings Scratch Team:

I would like to apply for curator.  I have applied a few times before, but I'd like to apply again.  I have been working with Scratch for years now, and would like to have a say in what projects reach the front page.

First, the projects.  On the front page, especially in the Top Remixed section, I see OK-quality projects.  Then, while browsing the forums, I see users with good projects, but they only have a few views!  Those users generally don't advertise on the forums, but their projects deserve views, unlike some others that sometimes get to the front page.  I will, however, do every effort to put projects on the front page that have less than 50 views.

Second, the project types.  As with the projects themselves, I will only put unique projects.  Traditional projects, such as platformers, coloring contests, art dumps, and AMVs wouldn't be curated unless they were very unique, as some unnoticed have proved to be.  I would curate the new, unique projects out there by unknown Scratchers.  For example, Digimath's project is an amazingly unique way to create a text-based game, and it doesn't use lists!  Another example is TheSupremeOverLord's projects.  She has a moderate amount of views, but has progressed quite a bit from her first account.  Her trampoline is amazing.  Another unique one is Pong Reverse, the opposite of Pong, by Snowdrift.  I would not take into consideration how famous the Scratchers were, but how long the projects had been out divided by the views, in addition to my own reckoning of how unique the project is.  The larger the number I got, the more likely it would be curated.  I would not curate any projects younger than a week, like the Featured Projects row.  However, I would take all requests, and if there were a simply amazing project, I would curate it, providing it had minimal views.

If I become curator, thank you.  If not, thank you still.  I love Scratch and want it to continually grow.  Harvard already uses it in its computer science course.  Who knows, one day Scratch may be the worldwide programming language for children!

Thank you for your time in reading my speech.  I am hopeful, and am excited for this opportunity.  I wish all of my opponents luck in becoming curator!

Sincerely,
Firedrake969

Last edited by Firedrake969 (2013-04-04 17:13:45)

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#5710 2013-04-04 19:45:41

ImagineIt
Scratcher

imadrainpipe wrote:

Speech

newnewfew wrote:

That is  a terrible misconception. Different projects have different values that make them good other than complexity.

#5711 2013-04-04 20:13:11

Sellout
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

imadrainpipe wrote:

Speech

newnewfew wrote:

That is  a terrible misconception. Different projects have different values that make them good other than complexity.

I don't think it's a misconception as much as it's just a differing opinion than the one you've got. Some people value complexity more than you might, but there aren't definite limits to how much every person should value everything and it isn't your place to dictate how other people should appreciate projects

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#5712 2013-04-04 20:25:13

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

imadrainpipe wrote:

Speech

I don't think it's a misconception as much as it's just a differing opinion than the one you've got. Some people value complexity more than you might, but there aren't definite limits to how much every person should value everything and it isn't your place to dictate how other people should appreciate projects

Why are you telling me only not to dictate people's opinions when they did the exact same thing to the person before them?

#5713 2013-04-04 20:31:13

Sellout
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

Why are you telling me only not to dictate people's opinions when they did the exact same thing to the person before them?

It isn't as though I was siding with that person, I didn't actually read what they wrote. If it's applicable to them too, then it's applicable to them too.

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#5714 2013-04-05 12:09:08

jkl0l
Scratcher

I would love to be curator because I want projects out there that are unique and good quality to be recognized. I really like animations, art games, and platformers. I won't pick any games with blood, violence, harsh language, or context against another scratcher. I also won't pick any projects from "Famous People" like Astro, minecraftpe123, or iaoumeur. I will not pick projects that have many views or that are from my friends. I would easily curate projects that are unique, Haven't gotten enough attention, or that are good quality in general. That means I won't pick something like Vector or Minecraft 3D. I will curate projects like this  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ComputerNinja/3211957  (simple animations)  or this, http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ctc397/3197808  Funny game, also, a cool, simple game, http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/vienna7363/3204688 just like the real one!  I will do an occasional remix, ,so long as it is credited! I want to be curator because I want people to feel appreciated and feel like they have done well. I am active and helpful on the scratch website, so please pick me as curator!

Last edited by jkl0l (2013-04-07 20:20:34)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2q3c8b5.png

#5715 2013-04-06 17:02:34

ComputeMan
Scratcher

I would like to be curator.

#5716 2013-04-08 14:11:04

D-Man9293
Scratcher

ComputeMan wrote:

You will never get the job that way. Try something like this.

I would like to apply for curator because I believe it would be a great opportunity for me and the Scratch Community. I have been helping people with scripts in the forums, and I have been posting constructive criticism on other people's projects to make sure they get the benefit of my help for their project-whatever the project it may be. Games, animations, stories, educational slide shows, and more! I'm not too picky when it comes to curating, and I want to give unknown Scratchers with a talented ability a chance to have a spot in the limelight.
I also think curating is important, and that the unknown Scratchers benefit from their project being curated, and greatly enjoy it. I know I did when I was curated! Anyway, without the curated section, Scratchers with great abilities who are unknown, would be very sad without the curator.
Some examples of projects I would curate are shown below. Some are well-known,and some are older, but I would show less known projects to the public, that are fresh from the community.

Games:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/kittyflier/3000357 I chose this project because of how much effort went into it, and the hard work really shows. The game is enjoyable and fun to play, and the Scratch community would enjoy it.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/richjones69/3108799 I chose this project as an example because the game is next to glitch-free, and is a good example of hard work and effort, though the Scratcher is well known.

Animations:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/GriaMolar/3116632 This project has great timing and hard work put into it

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrPikachu/3145684 This animation is very smooth and has a lot of effort into it. It is well known though.

Interactive Projects:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/zevbo/3033423 This project went unnoticed by the Community, and I have no idea why. It's form is perfect in its own way, and no one has seen it.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/SFollis/3014118 This project is simple but fun to play with, because of it's ingenuity.

P.S.-Thanks to pokemongardevoir, because I went off of her speech, and made  mine!

P.P.S- Even though some of those Scratcher's are my friends, that is not why I picked those projects. I did because I thought they were great examples of the projects I would curate.

P.P.P.S.-Please consider me. I put a lot of time and effort into thinking up this speech, and I want to benefit the Scratch Community.  big_smile

Check out my signups for the game show  Scratch Island Survival!

#5717 2013-04-08 21:00:13

megamastergamer
Scratcher

Scratch Team,

I feel that I am fitted to be a curator because I have seen many great projects that do not have much views and try to get word to people about those projects. I think I am good for the position of curator because I help people with their scratch projects. I would curate any project that has little views, is unique from others, and is very fun or interesting. A project that I would curate would be this one: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/nathmorr/2895248 it has accumulated 44 views in 5 months yet is very unique, fun, and enjoyable.

Thank You,
megamastergamer

#5718 2013-04-08 22:31:00

OrcaCat
Scratcher

D-Man9293 wrote:

ComputeMan wrote:

stuff

What I meant was this: the speech is not necessarily what will make you curator; a good record on Scratch for finding good projects and being helpful to the community. That being said, generally, new Scratchers will not be selected as curators because of the reasons above. If a new Scratcher wrote a long speech, he/she would have a much worse chance than a Scratcher who simply states what he/she will choose and why he/she should be selected.

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-04-09 17:52:29)

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#5719 2013-04-09 03:20:48

NYPrehistory
Scratcher

You know, I would choose projects that are new and original. Stuff that hasn't yet been noticed on the whole. I would select projects carefully, the projects would vary in category. I would try to select something that people may enjoy seeing and yet haven't seen much like it. I would choose projects that inspire and trigger new types of projects. I would choose projects that help others create. I would give everyone a chance to be noticed. I would love to have this opportunity.

#5720 2013-04-09 04:45:55

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

OrcaCat wrote:

D-Man9293 wrote:

ComputeMan wrote:

stuff

Objection! My speech was one sentence and I'm going to be the 105th curator  big_smile

Nevermind, I made a new one that is five sentences.

The application post you make here is only one of the things we look at when we pick curators.  We also look at your projects and comments and how you get along with others in the community.   The application post is important though, and worth spending some time on.  Because if it doesn't attract us and show us that you are serious about taking the position and doing a good job with it - we move on to the next applicant.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#5721 2013-04-09 10:28:35

Rumanti
Scratcher

Aqibaslam123 wrote:

Ok here it goes it's the 7th time but still I thing curating is fun I curate projects for the sake of the work he has done not for getting it more views I make it like an award for the maker of the project!

To make a good speech, you must write more than that. Why you think you'd do a good job, what kind of projects, what kind of projects you wouldn't curate, and more.

Scratch Transition Team
Helps you survive the  BING BANG! (big bang)

#5722 2013-04-09 12:26:19

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

Just so you know, long speeches have nothing to do with it if they're not good quality.  HINT:  They can recognize copy and pasting the same thing over and over...

Alt of Firedrake969.

#5723 2013-04-09 17:52:05

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

D-Man9293 wrote:

Objection! My speech was one sentence and I'm going to be the 105th curator  big_smile

The application post you make here is only one of the things we look at when we pick curators.  We also look at your projects and comments and how you get along with others in the community.   The application post is important though, and worth spending some time on.  Because if it doesn't attract us and show us that you are serious about taking the position and doing a good job with it - we move on to the next applicant.

What I meant was this: the speech is not necessarily what will make you curator; a good record on Scratch for finding good projects and being helpful to the community. That being said, generally, new Scratchers will not be selected as curators because of the reasons above. If a new Scratcher wrote a long speech, he/she would have a much worse chance than a Scratcher who simply states what he/she will choose and why he/she should be selected.

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-04-09 17:52:50)

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#5724 2013-04-10 07:56:58

sharu_dubz29
Scratcher

Hello.I am Sharu_dubz29 and I want to be a curator in the future:
*I think I should be a curator because I go on scratch reguarly and I like giving improvements to scratchers so they could make their projects more unique and attractive.
*Many people have remixed a lot of projects but the actual creator is not displayed any where near the projects or not have been given credit.So a solution to that problem is to inform everyone  who actually made it.BUT I tried to reply to everyone single comment but in the end the scratcher deletes it.I want to be one of the curator because I like telling the truth even if it makes me into trouble.
*I might curate projects which capture my sight and are attractive.
I will download it to see what type of programming they have used since there are lots of ways to do it.If I curated any good projects,scratchers might want to make a sprite which might run like the sprite which is in a the project which has been selected.People might have great talent in programming but are hidden from viewers.
*I wil give my best to give as much improvements and suggestions as I can to make a projects brighten up and make it better.

Thank you for reading my message.
I hope you like what I wrote and In the future I might become a curator who gives suggestions and always speak the truth and give credit.
Thank You.
P.S.Sorry about the spelling and I want to tell you this,I got to one of the top schools in the country,CRGS- Colchester Royal Grammar School

#5725 2013-04-10 16:00:36

D-Man9293
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

D-Man9293 wrote:

ComputeMan wrote:

Yeah, that's true, I'll keep on trying, even if I know I won't get it. Thank you, Paddle2see.

Check out my signups for the game show  Scratch Island Survival!

Board footer