This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2801 2011-02-06 11:57:48

lucari0
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

Being curator sounds awesome! I've seen that slot around on scratch alot and I always hoped that I could be the curator. Well, I like alot of cool games and I know alot that deserve way more views and love-its than they actually get. There are also many simulations out there that deserve the front page. So it would be nice to see some really nice games in there, we often see simulations there though, but I guess that just fits me for the job. I'd also love to curate awesome OS's, in fact, mine is in the curation section right now.. I always love to see a project like that with a ton of hard work into it. I can always tell if a project took a while, or if they did it in a couple of minutes.

What I will curate:
*Projects with less than 70 views.
*Unknown users.
*Games, not like Call of Duty, but games that represent good physics and gravity and what-not.
*Well-made simulations.
*VERY good tutorials to help out new scratchers. I've only seen one or two of those ever on the front page and they should probably be there more than anything else.
*Operating Systems.
*Artwork, but only if it blows my mind
*AMV's

What I won't curate or maybe will once or twice:
*Animations
*Slide-shows
*Games that don't have anything special to them.

I think I have what it takes, I've been around Scratch for a year, I'd be willig to do it whenever needed, and I think I'm worthy and trustable for the job. Please pick me! ~ lucari0

Last edited by lucari0 (2011-02-21 10:53:11)

Don't walk the plank until you've experienced the ship.

#2802 2011-02-06 18:38:49

dinomaster26
Scratcher

I would like to be a Scratch Curator for the Star wars projects out there. There are some really awesome games and not many of them are recognized. Please let me be it!  smile

#2803 2011-02-06 18:44:58

kayybee
Scratcher

Again,

c-u-r-a-t-e.

#2804 2011-02-06 18:57:03

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

The spelling doesn't matter - it's the speech and intention.  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2805 2011-02-06 20:06:30

pannulaa1
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

thanx  big_smile  in my next proposal ill spell curate right

#2806 2011-02-06 20:47:49

yoshi-fan
Scratcher

If it's possible, I would like to become a curator. I think it is a great idea to let scratchers pick projects they like. If only one got to pick, then they would always be the same types of projects. I would like to become a curator to pick a great diversity of projects. I also think some projects that are great don't get viewed enough. There wouldn't be a use of curating really popular projects. I think the users that work hard on their projects, put time into it, and still don't get more than 50 views should be curated. I go on Scratch whenever I get a chance, or at least 4 times a day, so if it's possible I would like to become a curator.  smile

A project that would be interesting to me would have...

Different challenges and levels if it's an adventure game.
Projects that anybody would like.
A good storyline if it's an action/adventure game.
Games that offer a variety of difficulty to viewers.
Games without glitches.

Last edited by yoshi-fan (2011-02-06 20:54:52)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/Goopggg/AllAboutScratchLogo.png

#2807 2011-02-07 00:05:58

kayybee
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

It might make reading the speech easier though.

#2808 2011-02-07 07:11:51

adab21
Scratcher

I would love to be a curator it sounds so fascinating I have been on the front page before for only two days though.

#2809 2011-02-07 20:37:06

jadesayade
Scratcher

if I were to be chosen as a curator I would put out the games that I thought were the best In all of scratch. it's so hard to find good games wading through all of the ones with glitches (this includes my own by the way)

#2810 2011-02-07 20:43:58

SYJI
Scratcher

I think that just because your not famous dosen't meen you cant make an epic project I would love to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2811 2011-02-08 11:50:20

Jake361
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator for a lot of reasons. There are a lot of good projects out there that barely get noticed, whether they're games or stories, or whatever. And that's one of the main reasons. I want to at least show a few, so that they can get noticed, and won't cause (and this happens quite often) people getting mad at them for spamming their projects in galleries where they don't belong. So that's why I want to be a curator.

Warriors: Omen of the Stars Book 4: Sign of the Moon (Next Warriors book)

#2812 2011-02-09 07:03:14

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

pannulaa1 wrote:

smile  yay new page  smile  time for me to repost

Let's not try to get carried away with reposting.

It takes a long time for the Scratch Team to go through the list, so reposting an application every time a new page is created won't help.

From what I been hearing lately, a person usually doesn't hear from the Scratch Team about curation until after several weeks have passed. You may want to consider maybe reposting after a month to help reduce posting clutter (and that goes for everyone who has posted multiple applications in this thread!)  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#2813 2011-02-09 09:05:08

ian528
Scratcher

I really want to be a curator!
I like projects with visual effects, or games with good graphics.
I also like art projects.
Here is an example:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/harry_hello123/1532595
Thanks for reading!  wink

#2814 2011-02-09 15:13:30

pannulaa1
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

pannulaa1 wrote:

smile  yay new page  smile  time for me to repost

Let's not try to get carried away with reposting.

It takes a long time for the Scratch Team to go through the list, so reposting an application every time a new page is created won't help.

From what I been hearing lately, a person usually doesn't hear from the Scratch Team about curation until after several weeks have passed. You may want to consider maybe reposting after a month to help reduce posting clutter (and that goes for everyone who has posted multiple applications in this thread!)  smile

lol yes but if you looked at this post and last post i added more... maybe i shouldnt sa YAY... time to repost but YAY... time to edit it and make it look better for the scratch team XD sorry for posting to much tho

#2815 2011-02-09 20:37:24

kayybee
Scratcher

if you're going to add more, maybe try deleting your first post?

Well, I love breaking things people think are rules, that aren't quite established, so...

I'm applying to be curator again! It's been half a year. No one said I couldn't!

Dear Scratch team:

I have noticed that on the front page of the Scratch website there is a section of: Projects Selected by [username]. I have found that the slot left for [username] is the current curator, or a person who chooses an exhibit to display. In this case, it is Scratch projects.
       The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) definition is as follows: curator |ˈkyoŏrˌātər; kyoŏˈrātər; ˈkyoŏrətər|noun-a keeper or custodian of a museum or other collection. I would like to apply for this job to display wonderful yet unknown projects. These projects should be fine, superior, excellent, superb, outstanding, magnificent, marvelous, and satisfactory. In other words, good.
       There are many great reasons of why I should become the next Scratch curator that include:
•I would like to show interesting, good yet simple projects that I believe should be revealed to the world that currently are not.
•I would like to make people feel better about their skills on Scratch by making some users get on the front page.
•This position is very interesting and makes me want to run again.
•I will always make sure there are more than one type of projects. (games, animations, etc.)
•I would like to make more new friends and discover projects more often.
• There are plentiful amounts of unknown projects that people have worked on for an abundance of time; yet no one ever pays attention to them.
•Many people have great projects, but are quitting because of unpopularity, so I would like to try to convince people to stay by getting them more popular.

I believe I am qualified enough to become a curator for the following reasons:
•I think I am a very good Scratcher, nevertheless good at evaluating.
•I can judge the quality of a project not just based on how much I like it, but how much the community would like it and compared to their Scratching skill.
•I have been on Scratch for quite a while now (more than a year), and have become accustomed to it. I can tell which projects had a lot of work put in, and which people didn't try on.
•I can pick a diverse variety of projects and will always make sure there are different types of projects that I curate.
•I am on Scratch every day and I was on Scratch everyday since I started, so I can view new projects every day.
•I will not just pick games or art, I will also pick educational projects.
•I will not just judge projects by how good they are, but how good they are compared to their level.
•I have been curator before, so I know what projects the community will like, and also, have experience with the process. To see projects I have curated before, you can go to my favorites. Those are the top eleven ones.
•I will most likely not pick anyone that has been on the front page, or on the front page in the past 6-12 months or so.
•I will pick projects with less than 50 views (before I curate it) and less than 10 love its.
Some examples of projects I might curate are: backyard, Board Game, and many others.
      I have noticed that if you are not logged in, the website will not show the [newest projects] because they are not as good as [featured] or [curated] or [what the community is...]. I believe you are trying to persuade them to join scratch, so I will do just the thing. I can choose awesome projects that will make them want to join.
      I do not believe I am better than everyone else that applies, but I would be on the top of the world if I were to be selected for the position (again). Thank you for spending your valuable (or not so valuable) time to read this.
      Once again, thank you for reading this and I hope you select me to become a curator. Scratch on!

-kayybee  smile

#2816 2011-02-10 07:57:44

ian528
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

Well, I love breaking things people think are rules, that aren't quite established, so...

I'm applying to be curator again! It's been half a year. No one said I couldn't!

Dear Scratch team:

I have noticed that on the front page of the Scratch website there is a section of: Projects Selected by [username]. I have found that the slot left for [username] is the current curator, or a person who chooses an exhibit to display. In this case, it is Scratch projects.
       The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) definition is as follows: curator |ˈkyoŏrˌātər; kyoŏˈrātər; ˈkyoŏrətər|noun-a keeper or custodian of a museum or other collection. I would like to apply for this job to display wonderful yet unknown projects. These projects should be fine, superior, excellent, superb, outstanding, magnificent, marvelous, and satisfactory. In other words, good.
       There are many great reasons of why I should become the next Scratch curator that include:
•I would like to show interesting, good yet simple projects that I believe should be revealed to the world that currently are not.
•I would like to make people feel better about their skills on Scratch by making some users get on the front page.
•I will always make sure there are more than one type of projects. (games, animations, etc.)
• There are plentiful amounts of unknown projects that people have worked on for an abundance of time; yet no one ever pays attention to them.
•Many people have great projects, but are quitting because of unpopularity, so I would like to try to convince people to stay by getting them more popular.

•I can judge the quality of a project not just based on how much I like it, but how much the community would like it and compared to their Scratching skill.
•I have been on Scratch for quite a while now (more than a year), and have become accustomed to it. I can tell which projects had a lot of work put in, and which people didn't try on.
•I can pick a diverse variety of projects and will always make sure there are different types of projects that I curate.
•I am on Scratch every day and I was on Scratch everyday since I started, so I can view new projects every day.
•I will not just judge projects by how good they are, but how good they are compared to their level.
•I have been curator before, so I know what projects the community will like, and also, have experience with the process. To see projects I have curated before, you can go to my favorites. Those are the top eleven ones.
•I will most likely not pick anyone that has been on the front page, or on the front page in the past 6-12 months or so.
•I will pick projects with less than 50 views (before I curate it) and less than 10 love its.
Some examples of projects I might curate are: backyard, Board Game, and many others.
      I have noticed that if you are not logged in, the website will not show the [newest projects] because they are not as good as [featured] or [curated] or [what the community is...]. I believe you are trying to persuade them to join scratch, so I will do just the thing. I can choose awesome projects that will make them want to join.
      I do not believe I am better than everyone else that applies, but I would be on the top of the world if I were to be selected for the position (again). Thank you for spending your valuable (or not so valuable) time to read this.
      Once again, thank you for reading this and I hope you select me to become a curator. Scratch on!

-kayybee  smile

Wow. You're good.

#2817 2011-02-10 13:59:18

georgehollambie
New Scratcher

That could be a good idea! Im also interested in the educacional projects.

#2818 2011-02-10 19:24:24

kayybee
Scratcher

ian528 wrote:

kayybee wrote:

my long message is below, be warned.

Code:

Dear Scratch team:

•I would like to make [i]more[/i] new friends and discover projects more often.

Some examples of projects I might curate are: [url=http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/aki-w/1372498]backyard[/url], [url=http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/PapaPierrePizza/1516184]Board Game[/url], and many others.

-kayybee :)

Wow. You're good.

Thankies!  smile  I've done this before  smile .

#2819 2011-02-10 19:48:25

pannulaa1
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

Dear Scratch team:

-kayybee  smile

oh ok XD forgot i could delete posts i will

#2820 2011-02-10 21:39:04

pannulaa1
Scratcher

I think that being a curator sounds like a great idea! But i undersand only the most Vibrant curating post will get you curated so... here it goes  smile

Why i am qualified to be a currator
1.I have been on scratch for a while know and I know how good a project must be in order to be featured!
2.I go on scratch every day so you would get projects more frequently posted.
3.I have a stock of projects in my gallery "when im curator" this helps assure i wont run out (if you whant to know more about my gallery it will be farther down in the post)

Why I would be a good curator
1.I would pick projects I think enjoyable for the scratch community.
2.I would take suggestions from the cummunity and I would interperet there ideas and try to bcone a better curator.
3.Every day once or twice i check the newly releaced category and search for projects that deserved to be curated.
4.My gallery when im curator i think serves as a great base for any curator, sometimes i even think other curators go there when there out of ideas because a few i put in there got curated by others.  smile

What I will curate
1. I will rarely if ever curate animations, sorry
2. I will curate games and models that show good scripting few glitches and such
3. Any project that is good and fun that has also pushed scratch boundries to expand the knoledge of us scrtchers today.
4. I will NEVER curate project that brake rules for scratch projects to be featured NEVER

About my gallery "When im curator"
My gallery when im curator was made to help give me a base for being a curator (f i ever got elected) . This gallery has about 2full pages of projects. If you go there and think,"wait this doesnt deserve to be curated" thats ok because the projects put there are nominees by me, they dont in any way  reflect exactally what i will curate. If you are interested in seeing my gallery by all means check it out and suggest nominees. http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/107229

-Thank you scratch team and all scratchers alike, I hope you consider me  tongue
-scratch on!

#2821 2011-02-10 22:45:45

kayybee
Scratcher

Oh, let me add one more section to my speech.

What and how I will curate:
~-~What I will Curate~-~
I will curate projects that show creative, innovative, and new ways to use Scratch or ideas for projects. (e.g. using Scratch as a formula calculator, as in Pythagorean Theorem, distance formula, etc.) Some examples of projects I might curate:
•games-this includes many different types, and will be the main portion of the projects I will potentially curate
••new games-this is part of "games". this will be the main portion of "games". new games means: games with a new gameplay or rules, that uses Scratch's different block in a creative and innovative way.
••old games-part of "games". this means: games like a lot of other games on Scratch (platformers, mazes...), but have something special to them that makes them stand out from the rest. (like "Blocks" that I curated last time. That was a mix between old and new. The part of platformer is like many other, but being able to place blocks and change the landscape is new.)
•animations-I might curate one or two animations along the way, if I see any good ones. "good" defined as: animations that use blocks not often used in animations or projects in general, or some interactive animations.
•educational-I will curate good educational projects definitely. if I find them. ... Anyways, I will curate educational projects that teach anything, from a biography of a person, to a chemistry lesson, to how to simplify radicals... anything of that sort.
•simulations-I might curate some OS's and other simulations, if I find good projects in this category.
~-~How I Will curate~-~
This is a big part of this, first of all, I will talk about how, as in putting it on the front page. I will curate three on the first day (of course), and wait three to four days. After that, I will curate a new project every one to two days. That way, each project will be on the front page for at least three days, and also, it doesn't make project likers have to wait a long time for a new one, only one to two days, where as when many people do three at a time, people must wait longer.
How I will curate as in... curate, it.
I will "judge" the project according to the following form:
What I like about this project:
What is innovative about it:
What could be fixed:
Additional comments:

This way, curatees (yes, I made that word up  tongue ) will know what they did well and what they could do a little better to make better projects for next time.

I hope you consider me, again as I have said, with this new information you have learned (hopefully you read it), and have learned more about how and what I would curate if I were curator.

Thanks, and Scratch on!

~kayybee

#2822 2011-02-10 22:55:59

pannulaa1
Scratcher

Here kayabee why dont you delete your old post and make it one new post?

Dear Scratch team:

Oh, let me add one more section to my speech.

What and how I will curate:
~-~What I will Curate~-~
I will curate projects that show creative, innovative, and new ways to use Scratch or ideas for projects. (e.g. using Scratch as a formula calculator, as in Pythagorean Theorem, distance formula, etc.) Some examples of projects I might curate:
•games-this includes many different types, and will be the main portion of the projects I will potentially curate
••new games-this is part of "games". this will be the main portion of "games". new games means: games with a new gameplay or rules, that uses Scratch's different block in a creative and innovative way.
••old games-part of "games". this means: games like a lot of other games on Scratch (platformers, mazes...), but have something special to them that makes them stand out from the rest. (like "Blocks" that I curated last time. That was a mix between old and new. The part of platformer is like many other, but being able to place blocks and change the landscape is new.)
•animations-I might curate one or two animations along the way, if I see any good ones. "good" defined as: animations that use blocks not often used in animations or projects in general, or some interactive animations.
•educational-I will curate good educational projects definitely. if I find them. ... Anyways, I will curate educational projects that teach anything, from a biography of a person, to a chemistry lesson, to how to simplify radicals... anything of that sort.
•simulations-I might curate some OS's and other simulations, if I find good projects in this category.
~-~How I Will curate~-~
This is a big part of this, first of all, I will talk about how, as in putting it on the front page. I will curate three on the first day (of course), and wait three to four days. After that, I will curate a new project every one to two days. That way, each project will be on the front page for at least three days, and also, it doesn't make project likers have to wait a long time for a new one, only one to two days, where as when many people do three at a time, people must wait longer.
How I will curate as in... curate, it.
I will "judge" the project according to the following form:
What I like about this project:
What is innovative about it:
What could be fixed:
Additional comments:

This way, curatees (yes, I made that word up   ) will know what they did well and what they could do a little better to make better projects for next time.

I hope you consider me, again as I have said, with this new information you have learned (hopefully you read it), and have learned more about how and what I would curate if I were curator.

Thanks, and Scratch on!

~kayybee

#2823 2011-02-11 07:31:01

meeyou
Scratcher

wow cool  big_smile

#2824 2011-02-11 09:12:51

WIzzarde
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator. I like games that's well made and all kinds of space projects.

#2825 2011-02-11 12:32:23

superyoshifan
Scratcher

I would like to be a Scratch Curator please. The projects I will pick are godd animations/AMVs by lesser-known Scratchers!! Scratch on!
___________________________________________________________________________________
Hi. I liek Yoshiz. And Mudkipz.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/197/628/157hvk5.gif

Board footer