This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-09-24 14:05:22

Zen
Scratcher

how do you get the code from Scratch

if you could down load Scratch and have it in Sqeak people can like have other Scratch websites and other plces where you could make games like SCRATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

#2 2007-09-24 15:13:55

Jens
Scratcher

Re: how do you get the code from Scratch

Hi Zen, you might want to check out my tutorial on how to get Scratch in Squeak:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Jens/22355
Also, you might want to check SquakMap for my patch on how to export / import Scratch scripts to and from XML.

Jens Mönig

#3 2007-09-26 00:09:16

delza
Scratcher

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the tips.  I've tried before to get "behind the scenes" with Scratch, but I'm not familiar enough with Squeak to have much (or any) success.  With your tutorial and patch I should be able to get somewhere.

One of my side projects is making a Scratch-like environment in Python, and ideally I would like to be able to save projects in the same format, and to open Scratch projects. So being able to get into Scratch will make a huge difference.

Now I have to go explain XML to Zen.  He think's it is yet another programming language ;-)

Thanks again,

--Dethe (Zen's Dad)

#4 2007-10-03 19:42:13

Zen
Scratcher

----------------------Hi jens-------------------

How can you get the code from XML and put it in sqeak
                                    becuse you didn't say how to get the code in
                        XML...

--------------Hi jens again-------------
                it would be nice if you reply to
                 this...

#5 2007-10-04 03:45:30

Jens
Scratcher

Hi Zen, I'm not sure if I understand your question. Also, I'm not sure if it is okay to discuss these 'hacker subjects' in this forum, because this is supposed to be a place to talk about Scratch projects.

In the link I pointed you to above I'm explaining how can exploit a bug in the Scratch source code to bring up a Squeak debugger, and how to get to the Squeak core of Scratch. Once you've gotten there you can do just about anything, because Scratch *is* a Squeak image, and contains everything you need to modify it (i.e. the whole Squeak IDE). That is, you can change anything and everything, provided you know the Smalltalk programming language. You can e.g. create your own blocks and features and write your own programming tools for Scratch. I have used this method to write a little patch that allows you to file out Scratch scripts (stacks of blocks) to  external xml files, and to import such external xml files back into Scratch as stacks of blocks. I've done this actually after a discussion with some teacher friends of mine who complained about not being able to edit Scratch projects with a text editor. You can find the patch along with installation instructions on SqueakMap. If you (or your dad) are a programmer, it'll be easy to use, if not, you better leave it (!).

Also, if you have any further questions, you can e-mail me directly at jens at moenig dot org. I'll be glad to help you out offline. Hope that's what you wanted to know...

Jens Mönig

#6 2007-10-04 12:33:45

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Jens, discussing source-code additions to scratch does fit as an "Advanced Topic", though perhaps at the "very advanced" end.

Board footer