This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-05-14 04:58:25

puneri
Scratcher

Tranlating Scratch to Marathi

We have translated Scratch to Marathi. Have defined Win-font in .po file to Ansi Unicode MS / Mangal for indic fonts. However when using SAY construct, I see ??? whenever I type any key instead of Marathi character.

any help will be appreciated.

Please note the fonts work fine in notepad/ word etc. If I copy paste from notepad, it works. I will however like to be able to type directly in Scratch.

Thanks.

#2 2009-05-18 16:08:53

evhan55
Scratcher

Re: Tranlating Scratch to Marathi

puneri wrote:

We have translated Scratch to Marathi. Have defined Win-font in .po file to Ansi Unicode MS / Mangal for indic fonts. However when using SAY construct, I see ??? whenever I type any key instead of Marathi character.

any help will be appreciated.

Please note the fonts work fine in notepad/ word etc. If I copy paste from notepad, it works. I will however like to be able to type directly in Scratch.

Thanks.

Dear Puneri,

Unfortunately Yes, this is a known problem in Scratch.  The system that Scratch is built on is very outdated, and it does not support the entry of Devanagari or Marathi characters by default.  We have not implemented this in Scratch, and we not have time to implement it until a future version of Scratch.

We would like to include your Marathi translation in the next version of Scratch, would you be willing to upload it to our new translation server if I send the appropriate instructions?

Sorry for the inconvenience with the input characters, in a future version of Scratch we should use a modern enough system to support this.

Best,
Evelyn
MIT Scratch Team

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#3 2009-05-21 00:13:32

puneri
Scratcher

evhan55 wrote:

Dear Puneri,

Unfortunately Yes, this is a known problem in Scratch.  The system that Scratch is built on is very outdated, and it does not support the entry of Devanagari or Marathi characters by default.  We have not implemented this in Scratch, and we not have time to implement it until a future version of Scratch.

We would like to include your Marathi translation in the next version of Scratch, would you be willing to upload it to our new translation server if I send the appropriate instructions?

Sorry for the inconvenience with the input characters, in a future version of Scratch we should use a modern enough system to support this.

Best,
Evelyn
MIT Scratch Team

Dear Evelyn,

Thanks for the response. Is there a problem rendering open type fonts?

Kindly send the instructions to upload Marathi translation. Will upload as soon as the review is completed.

How does one go about translating the help and reference materials?

regards
Vipul

#4 2009-05-23 16:39:49

evhan55
Scratcher

puneri wrote:

evhan55 wrote:

Dear Puneri,

Best,
Evelyn
MIT Scratch Team

Dear Evelyn,

Thanks for the response. Is there a problem rendering open type fonts?

Kindly send the instructions to upload Marathi translation. Will upload as soon as the review is completed.

How does one go about translating the help and reference materials?

regards
Vipul

Dear Vipul,

Thanks for your message.  What do you mean by open type fonts?  Is something not rendering correctly for you?  I should be able to help you.

Regarding the upload of the Marathi translation, our translation server will be ready in the next couple of days, and you will receive an email inviting you to upload your translation.

For help and reference materials translation, there is also a new system that will be ready in the next few days.  The person who will be able to help you with this is Amos on the Scratch Team.  You can reach him via help@scratch.mit.edu.  I believe he may be sending out an email too explaining how to translate the materials.

Sincerely,
Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

Board footer