This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » New Scratchers
  •  » Can I choose the spot on a sprite that another sprite moves towards?

#1 2009-04-05 15:28:39

Nanner
Scratcher

Can I choose the spot on a sprite that another sprite moves towards?

I want to make a pencil that writes.  I have a pencil sprite, but if I do "pen down" and write with it the writing comes from the center of the sprite, rather than the tip.  I tried making a second "writing" sprite, but if I keep moving it towards the pencil sprite it of course moves towards the same spot.  I either need to make the point of the pencil the "hot spot" to write with, or get the writing sprite to stick to the pencil's point.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 2009-04-05 15:54:41

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: Can I choose the spot on a sprite that another sprite moves towards?

The "hot spot" of any sprite is its rotation center. To change the rotation center, go to the costumes and open the Paint Editor. Click on the 'Set rotation center' button on the bottom left hand of the screen; a set of intersecting lines will show up, and the point where these lines meet is the point of rotation. Move the lines around to set the rotation center to the desired spot, then press 'OK'

Hope this helps, and welcome to SCRATCH!

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#3 2009-04-05 16:17:36

Mike_W
Scratcher

Re: Can I choose the spot on a sprite that another sprite moves towards?

Another way to do this - is have the first sprite include a loop that posts it's x , y and direction.

You can then set a second sprite's rotation center off set so you can spin the pencil and it looks right - the 2nd sprite follows the pencil and does the writing. Yeah more complex but it allows for a more natural rotation on the sprite.

• Index
  •  » New Scratchers
  •  » Can I choose the spot on a sprite that another sprite moves towards?

Board footer