This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-03-10 02:05:03

Jawt94
Scratcher

How to make a board game?

Hey everyone i need to create a board game for my project and need to know how to go about doing it. will anyone be able to teach me? thanks

#2 2009-03-10 04:08:30

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Re: How to make a board game?

Why don't you start by taking a look at an example...here's a nice one I found by typing "board game" into the search field...

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bernatp/744

The motion around the board was cleverly choosen to be circular which simplified things a lot!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#3 2009-03-10 06:57:31

bosox397
Scratcher

Well I started a board game but it's a scrolling board game. So if you still want me to post the link just tell me.

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#4 2009-03-10 11:46:23

yambanshee
Scratcher

you could look and download this: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/yambanshee/309444

#5 2009-03-11 08:30:07

bigonroad
Scratcher

Are there any tutorials on making a board game?

#6 2009-03-16 08:30:14

Jawt94
Scratcher

yeah my exact questions are there any tutorials?
Paddle2see my boardgame that i wanna make is not intended to be so simple, i want to make something that really looks like a board game...

yambanshee thats not what i mean either.
the board game i wanna make is probably similar to those of monopoly, except probably much less complicated. i would like to make a board game with boards, using dices and characters. the characters will then move across the board, encountering questions etc.

#7 2009-03-16 08:38:51

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Jawt94 wrote:

Paddle2see my boardgame that i wanna make is not intended to be so simple, i want to make something that really looks like a board game...

the board game i wanna make is probably similar to those of monopoly, except probably much less complicated. i would like to make a board game with boards, using dices and characters. the characters will then move across the board, encountering questions etc.

For that game I would make simulated dice that when clicked choose a random costume. I'd paint a board and make certain areas where you'd won't questions to appear. Then make character figures that begin at start when it's one persons turn they would click on the dice and move the indicated amount. If they landed on a space with a question then a new screen would pop up with the question and you'd answer using 'a' 'b' 'c' or 'd' if you got it correct you'd advance else you'd move back a certain number of spaces.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#8 2009-03-16 21:40:30

Jawt94
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

Jawt94 wrote:

For that game I would make simulated dice that when clicked choose a random costume. I'd paint a board and make certain areas where you'd won't questions to appear. Then make character figures that begin at start when it's one persons turn they would click on the dice and move the indicated amount. If they landed on a space with a question then a new screen would pop up with the question and you'd answer using 'a' 'b' 'c' or 'd' if you got it correct you'd advance else you'd move back a certain number of spaces.

yes that would be it! the exact thing i want to do. but how would i be able to make a simulated dice? also, what abt the character figures?

#9 2009-03-16 22:13:56

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Jawt94 wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

Jawt94 wrote:

yes that would be it! the exact thing i want to do. but how would i be able to make a simulated dice? also, what abt the character figures?

For the dice you would have each die have 6 costumes with numbers 1 - 6 and then if it is the player's turn and the dice are clicked then it would do something like this:
<when[ die ]clicked>
<repeat( 6 )
<next costume>
<end>
<switch to costume[ <pick random( 1 )to( 6 ) ]
<set{ roll }to( <costume number> )
<broadcast[ playerMove ]
<end>
Then in the player sprite you would have a good looking costume and have this script:
<when I receive[ playerMove ]
<repeat( <{ roll }>
<go to x sad ((  item <{ space# } of postitionX <+> 1 ))> )y sad  (  item <{ space# } of postitionY <+> 1 ))
<change{ space# }by( 1)
<end>
<broadcast[ moved ]
That would be the basic script the whole game still needs alot of work, if you wanted I could make a version of the game that you would learn from.

Last edited by demosthenes (2009-03-16 22:14:29)

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#10 2009-03-18 08:55:00

qwertyu63
Scratcher

I would try a list approch to the spaces (i.e. Make 2 lists SpaceX and SpaceY With the space X and Y listed) and form space "reading" use the touching color block. This setup allows for more than one board (Just have to be same size and shape).

#11 2009-03-29 06:41:46

tomgalaxyzoo
Scratcher

how on earth would you make monopoly in scarth?  yikes  yikes  yikes  smile  smile  smile  smile  smile  wink  wink  wink

<forever> Galaxy Zoo!
smile  smile  smile  smile  woof woof!  smile  sad  big_smile  yikes  wink  hmm  tongue  lol  mad  roll  cool

#12 2009-03-29 07:20:15

yambanshee
Scratcher

tomgalaxyzoo wrote:

how on earth would you make monopoly in scarth?  yikes  yikes  yikes  smile  smile  smile  smile  smile  wink  wink  wink

its possible. I might go ahead and try making one in flash

#13 2009-03-29 15:49:40

bosox397
Scratcher

yambanshee wrote:

tomgalaxyzoo wrote:

its possible. I might go ahead and try making one in flash

I'm kinda making one. ITs a scrolling game

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#14 2009-04-05 20:50:07

bando
Scratcher

I'm making a board game called Go. There is two different colors: black, and white. the board is a 9 line x 9 line grid. If you can help me make it I would love it. I am having a lot of trouble with it.  yikes   yikes   yikes  :p :p

#15 2009-04-06 05:41:43

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

bando wrote:

I'm making a board game called Go. There is two different colors: black, and white. the board is a 9 line x 9 line grid. If you can help me make it I would love it. I am having a lot of trouble with it.  yikes   yikes   yikes  :p :p

What part are you stuck on right now?  One of the trickier things to deal with for board games is making sure that the pieces only go where they are supposed to go.  One way to deal with that is to use a little math to round the position to the nearest legal position.  Decide on the size of one of your grid squares (40 would be a good choice because that would exactly fit 9 squares in the 360 steps that make up the vertical size of the stage) then calculate your legal postion by using the Round block.

X Legal = Round ( X / 40 ) * 40
Y Legal = Round ( Y / 40 ) * 40

so the script to make a sprite go to a legal position and stamp would be something like

[blocks]
<when green flag clicked>
<hide>
<forever if> <mouse down?>
<set x to( <round( (( <mouse x> </> 40 )) <*> 40 )
<set y to( <round( (( <mouse y> </> 40 )) <*> 40 ))
<show>
<stamp>
<hide>
<end>
[/blocks]

#16 2009-04-09 18:45:26

bando
Scratcher

Thanks!  smile

#17 2009-04-11 09:41:09

piko_12
Scratcher

Where can I find a monopoly board icon ?? Please answer me!!!

#18 2009-05-10 09:16:17

stacky
Scratcher

I need help about a monopoly sort of game in Scratch for windows.

I want to make a combination of a monopoly style with Cognifit's manner (I have even found a mention about them here in the forum, they made "e-mindfitness" games, and have got more new [commercial link removed by Forum Moderator] brain fitness software[/url] and some more brain "solutions" and games).

Also tried to find any inspiration from the featured projects in here but didn't found any suitable ones  smile

Last edited by Paddle2See (2010-06-04 20:26:20)

#19 2009-05-16 23:12:20

Jawt94
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

Jawt94 wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

For the dice you would have each die have 6 costumes with numbers 1 - 6 and then if it is the player's turn and the dice are clicked then it would do something like this:
<when[ die ]clicked>
<repeat( 6 )
<next costume>
<end>
<broadcast[ playerMove ]
<end>
Then in the player sprite you would have a good looking costume and have this script:
<repeat( <{ roll }>
<go to x sad ((  item <{ space# } of postitionX <+> 1 ))> )y sad  (  item <{ space# } of postitionY <+> 1 ))
<change{ space# }by( 1)
<end>
<broadcast[ moved ]
That would be the basic script the whole game still needs alot of work, if you wanted I could make a version of the game that you would learn from.

hey sorry i dont really understand the player's script....
what does item mean?

#20 2009-05-17 06:01:06

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Jawt94 wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

Jawt94 wrote:

<when[ die ]clicked>
<repeat( 6 )
<next costume>
<end>
<broadcast[ playerMove ]
<end>
<repeat( <{ roll }>
<change{ space# }by( 1)
<end>
<broadcast[ moved ]

hey sorry i dont really understand the player's script....
what does item mean?

It looks like that might be a List of X and Y positions.  To see the blocks related to Lists, go to Variables and make a list, then you will see a number of new blocks show up.  One of those blocks is the "item __ of __" which returns whatever is in the list at the List item number you give it.  You can use lists to store X and Y values (two separate lists, one for X and one for Y) and then use the values to move things around using the Goto block, as shown in the example above.

#21 2009-11-21 08:33:57

Lellowsfuzz
Scratcher

Jawt94, if you are going to make a Monopoly-ish game, I have a lot of experience with Scratch AND Monopoly, so if you would let me help, I'd be very happy.

#22 2010-05-02 23:53:02

JacobTrowbridge
Scratcher

How exactly would you get a "trivia" screen to appear, where the user is forced to answer a question before continuing?

Board footer