This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#151 2009-11-02 17:31:44

lonwol
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Violent Scratch Projects

rico wrote:

PS - I just "flagged" the Scratch at the link in my original posting with this explanation: "Violence with blood and human victims." I'll continue to do this if I see students viewing... well viewing violence with blook and human victims. We'll see how it goes. I hope my flags don't become a bother.

No offense rico, but if youflag a project with a warning in the beggining you have issues.

I host servers for money ya?

#152 2009-11-07 05:37:25

Locomule
Scratcher

Rico:"I have been using and promoting Scratch as a way to introduce students in grades 3 through 5." Introduce them to what, incomplete sentences? Bad diction?

"We have enjoyed what we've done very much, and the students and I have learned a lot with lots more to learn." Again, this sentence reads like a punch drunk fighter.

"We've always had these rules:" Actually I think you mean you have always imposed these rules on your students...

"#1. No human victims, #2. Nothing violent." Oh really? Tell me please, does your school have a sports program? Football, perhaps? Or any competition involving actual children in thinly veiled feats of combat where someone always loses? Losers who usually suffer public humiliation as well as creating a legacy of failure that may result in various negative impacts on their ability to succeed as students in the future, snowballing into mental blocks which may impede their lives for many years to come? Wanna see most males lose their * minds? Emasculate them in public. Violence 101.

What I find far more appalling and frightening than simulated violence in Scratch video games is educators who think that they have the right to dictate the social morays of future generations based on nothing more than there own personal whims.

"Can anything be done to clean up Scratch, or should I abandon its use at our school and block the site?" Ahhh, the inevitable threat. Personally, I think you should resign. But seriously though, lets back up a bit...

"And now my students have shown me Scratch programs like this one: " Ok, I am making an assumption here but I suspect that it is true. That being that apparently, in spite of your 'protective' posturing you have in fact been allowing your students "grades 3 through 5" unmonitored access to parts of the internet. I think I am beginning to see why you feel that others should fix this "problem" as you seem somewhat incompetent in dealing with the obvious shortcomings of your own mismanagement. Maybe you should get them unmonitored cable access and then complain to the cable companies that they should change their programing. Even a basic familiarity with Scratch would be enough for someone, especially an educator, to realize that you could just download and host the specific projects that are deemed MOST appropriate for your students. There is an entire section of Scratch devoted to nothing but educators using Scratch in the classroom environment. That is where they discuss something called curriculum, I bet you've heard that term before.  Curriculum which is being tailored to match the individual needs of each educator be it Math, Physics, Science, etc. Somewhat of a different concept then just handing the kids the keys to the Ferrari and demanding that they drive safely.

"If I'm the only one who thinks this type of violence is inappropriate then that's what I'll have to do. It's been fun while it lasted, however. I've got students watching the Naruto Christmas Special over and over again." The threat of punishing the students through denying them knowledge is repeated and now we are warned that the threat will be carried out unless we agree with Rico. And those darn troublemakers are REPEATEDLY watching that Naruto Christmas Special, hosted by scratch, and co-hosted by Rico.

Ok, in some fairness to Rico, it is fairly easy to tear someone's post apart limb by limb (whoops, I just simulated human violence right there! I meant trees?!!?) and I am probably exaggerating my point somewhat. So I will now give my $2000.02 worth (here is where this post really gets long, lol) on this debate that is older than most of the Scratch users themselves.

Violence in video games. I do not have generally a problem with it because it is one of the most ridiculous theories I have ever heard. Living creatures exist by eating other creatures that were once alive. Like it or not, it is the natural order of things. If you doubt that, I hardily invite you to coat yourself down with honey and peanut butter and spend a few nights deep in the heart of some select National Forests. Yes, we have conditioned ourselves to generally be repulsed by some random Animal Planet show with actual footage of sharks eating seals. Yet we have little to no problem watching those same seals and sharks snacking on some random fish species.
We practice a very selective and almost humorously incongruent form of deciding what is right and wrong. Blowing someone's head off is a terrible crime... unless you are a police officer or are in the military and protecting the oil rights of some multi-billion dollar company. In those cases, you are most likely a hero. Violence against humans is terrible right? Does your school have a ROTC program? Are there, as is so common now, armed security guards patrolling the campus? When we got caught up in the "school shooting" media hype frenzy and allowed it to affect our education system, we ruined far more lives than all the school shootings combined. We took a percentage of students who were and will always be prevalent within the system and renamed them from class clowns and potential dropouts to criminals. What a sense of ambition we have inspired there! Previously you failed because you were stupid. Now, there is an implied chance that your inability to fit in, make grades, gain peer acceptance, etc. may be because YOU are the prison fodder for which the security officers are ever vigilant. I suppose we should also quickly edit all the History books as I have never in my life read any other literature which imparts so much importance on real, documented human violence.
I could go on until my keyboard breaks. Check out the Star Spangled Banner some time on the Wiki. Our National Anthem is a song about a war battle, with a melody taken from a British drinking song, containing lyrics such as "And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air." By your own definitions Rico, a Scratch game or animation based on our National Anthem would most surely have to be banned. Or would you deem it ok because you could personally justify that content for such usage? Ahhh, the conundrums we create and then fall headfirst into.

Personally, I wonder how many of the people demanding that we stop teaching our kids violence through simulated violence in video games have ever found themselves in the midst of some violent activity only to resend their actions after realizing that the 'video games made them do it.' The entire notion is absurd to the point of being insulting. Their are many other far more damning, tangible injustices being committed against our children in our school systems. So many kids in a class that the teacher becomes more of a referee. Administrators who intimidate teachers  into compromising their positive impact on students for reasons that have nothing to do with the best interests of the students. A federal government who was intentionally cut out of overseeing public education (ever wonder why out of so many things taken into consideration in our Constitution, never is there mentioned a necessity of the government regulating education?)  and yet has done so anyway by subsidizing schools who comply with Federal academic proposals while withholding money from schools who won't just play ball. How about administrations who recognize the seriously harmful gap created by parents who largely remain uninvolved in their childrens' schoolwork, yet do nothing to fix this. I mean, there is a Facebook site dedicated to parents who are angry at teachers for promoting No Child Left Behind! These parents are showing their ignorance to an embarrising extreme. Teachers have almost universally spoken out against this very thing!

As parents, we may be the most to blame. We tell bedtime stories where the good guys always win. Bullies are thwarted, injustices righted, and then we tell her that she is the most special little princess in the whole wide world. Awwww... Hey, I do it too! I'm certainly not claiming to be better than anyone else. ut I think we are all heroes as well as villains. I believe that it is far more dangerous to classify the world in black and whites as opposed to shades of grey. Because everything is relative.
Kids instinctively know this. They laugh at the wrong things, are unashamed to stare at someone with a physical deformity, and will quickly threaten each other with every conceivable disaster up to and including violence if they don't reap the rewards of their own selfish demands. School itself is based entirely on a system of rewards and punishments. We lie to our kids and tell them "if you work hard enough, you will get ahead." Imagine a world where magically, students were each and everyone successful and made straight A's. Who is gonna dig the ditches? Clean the toilets? Sweep up your room and empty your trash at the end of the school day? The scam is perpetuated by and deeply ingrained in every level of our society, but don't think for a minute that everyone falls for it. The poor kids who grew up watching their parents and grandparents fight unsuccessfully against things like racism may not make it into Mensa, but they know that they are far less likely to wind up driving a Porche home from their corporate CEO position than winding up in dilapidated homes and being eyed by potential employers as though they are there to rob the place. So we separate the wheat from the chaffe, the bomb builders from the great unwashed. Kids play violent video games because they are fun. If they don't find them fun, they play something else. The games don't twist our little darlings, they come out of the womb with far more an inclination towards violence than most people would ever want to admit. It is called human nature. You show me a philosophy of education that damns violence, sexuality, and all the other uncomfortable little quirks of human existence and I'll show you one that is so unrealistic that to follow it is pure folly. Now you are telling kids that they are bad for expressing qualities that they were born with yet are fundamental to our survival as a species?!?! Um, they are not idiots, you know? Even they know that this debate is trite and unrealistic. You can propose that we all just 'be good people' but whose fault is it when you get angry because it doesn't happen?

You may think the solution to inspiring the lives of our children is to lock them away from the things that personally offend you but I disagree. You have no right. It is not your job, mine, or anyone else's to mold them with razor-edged cookie cutters. Besides, that doesn't work. What does work is inspiring them by giving them knowledge, showing them that ultimately they will have to mold themselves, and providing alternatives to the status quo of current social commentary. Yes, there will always be gratuitousness in any arena which is frustrating but still is not worth locking the kids up in a self-riteous bubble. But I don't care how over-the-top, blood guts and gore silly a game is, it will never bear remotely as much impact on lives as our own basic human instincts. Fight or flight, aka. eat or be eaten. It is no coincidence that we have emerged at the top of the food chain! Of course I'm not advocating an hour a day of Call of Duty time for kids at school. But claiming that fantasy violence in video games is the smoking gun behind criminally bound futures is worse than silly, it is like proposing a treatment without finding out what is wrong with the patient.  Physician, heal thy self! Ae you certain that a more important factor might not be something like right or left-handedness? A 2004 study conducted by Faurie and Raymond complementing ethnographic data with a discussion of the success of left-handers in certain sports, to demonstrate that left-handed individuals have a competitive advantage in combat. The rate of left-handedness appears to correlate with the amount of violence in a given society (taking homicide rates as a measure). How about the staggering number of people killed through history for religious reasons and causes? I'll leave it up to you Rico to take on the churches. Good luck with that too.
All right, I'm through. My last comment will be about how this takes me back to my Dungeons and Dragons days circa 1983. If commonly touted insights into the impending doom of any hapless child caught within the satanic tendrils of that game were true, I guess that would explain most of the violence in America today. In my opinion, we actually just had a lot of fun and garnered an amazing amount of historical and and generally geeky knowledge. We just didn't get the marked improvements of reaction time and hand eye coordination and along with it! > tongue  The reason violence shows up repeatedly in video games is because, like it or not, it is simply entertaining. Not to everyone, just the vast majority. I wish that we could all evolve beyond our out-dated needs for and preoccupations with violence, materialism, racism, cultism, etc. I also wish that magic was real. Wouldn't that be cool?

But hey, I always try to remember that I could be wrong. Peace.

aka Pain from DragonSpires, Delrith Online, BotBattle, Urban Dead etc etc lol

#153 2009-11-12 00:09:51

bobfredproductions
Scratcher

rico wrote:

I have been using and promoting Scratch as a way to introduce students in grades 3 through 5. We have enjoyed what we've done very much, and the students and I have learned a lot with lots more to learn. We've always had these rules: #1. No human victims, #2. Nothing violent. And now my students have shown me Scratch programs like this one:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Comcastc99/71491

Can anything be done to clean up Scratch, or should I abandon its use at our school and block the site? If I'm the only one who thinks this type of violence is inappropriate then that's what I'll have to do. It's been fun while it lasted, however. I've got students watching the Naruto Christmas Special over and over again.

GO AWAY [insulting reference removed by Forum Moderator] LOOK AT THE REST OF THE INTERNET [insulting reference removed by Forum Moderator]

Last edited by Paddle2See (2009-11-12 04:29:08)

#154 2009-11-12 01:12:20

bobfredproductions
Scratcher

Locomule wrote:

Rico:"I have been using and promoting Scratch as a way to introduce students in grades 3 through 5." Introduce them to what, incomplete sentences? Bad diction?

"We have enjoyed what we've done very much, and the students and I have learned a lot with lots more to learn." Again, this sentence reads like a punch drunk fighter.

"We've always had these rules:" Actually I think you mean you have always imposed these rules on your students...

"#1. No human victims, #2. Nothing violent." Oh really? Tell me please, does your school have a sports program? Football, perhaps? Or any competition involving actual children in thinly veiled feats of combat where someone always loses? Losers who usually suffer public humiliation as well as creating a legacy of failure that may result in various negative impacts on their ability to succeed as students in the future, snowballing into mental blocks which may impede their lives for many years to come? Wanna see most males lose their * minds? Emasculate them in public. Violence 101.

What I find far more appalling and frightening than simulated violence in Scratch video games is educators who think that they have the right to dictate the social morays of future generations based on nothing more than there own personal whims.

"Can anything be done to clean up Scratch, or should I abandon its use at our school and block the site?" Ahhh, the inevitable threat. Personally, I think you should resign. But seriously though, lets back up a bit...

"And now my students have shown me Scratch programs like this one: " Ok, I am making an assumption here but I suspect that it is true. That being that apparently, in spite of your 'protective' posturing you have in fact been allowing your students "grades 3 through 5" unmonitored access to parts of the internet. I think I am beginning to see why you feel that others should fix this "problem" as you seem somewhat incompetent in dealing with the obvious shortcomings of your own mismanagement. Maybe you should get them unmonitored cable access and then complain to the cable companies that they should change their programing. Even a basic familiarity with Scratch would be enough for someone, especially an educator, to realize that you could just download and host the specific projects that are deemed MOST appropriate for your students. There is an entire section of Scratch devoted to nothing but educators using Scratch in the classroom environment. That is where they discuss something called curriculum, I bet you've heard that term before.  Curriculum which is being tailored to match the individual needs of each educator be it Math, Physics, Science, etc. Somewhat of a different concept then just handing the kids the keys to the Ferrari and demanding that they drive safely.

"If I'm the only one who thinks this type of violence is inappropriate then that's what I'll have to do. It's been fun while it lasted, however. I've got students watching the Naruto Christmas Special over and over again." The threat of punishing the students through denying them knowledge is repeated and now we are warned that the threat will be carried out unless we agree with Rico. And those darn troublemakers are REPEATEDLY watching that Naruto Christmas Special, hosted by scratch, and co-hosted by Rico.

Ok, in some fairness to Rico, it is fairly easy to tear someone's post apart limb by limb (whoops, I just simulated human violence right there! I meant trees?!!?) and I am probably exaggerating my point somewhat. So I will now give my $2000.02 worth (here is where this post really gets long, lol) on this debate that is older than most of the Scratch users themselves.

Violence in video games. I do not have generally a problem with it because it is one of the most ridiculous theories I have ever heard. Living creatures exist by eating other creatures that were once alive. Like it or not, it is the natural order of things. If you doubt that, I hardily invite you to coat yourself down with honey and peanut butter and spend a few nights deep in the heart of some select National Forests. Yes, we have conditioned ourselves to generally be repulsed by some random Animal Planet show with actual footage of sharks eating seals. Yet we have little to no problem watching those same seals and sharks snacking on some random fish species.
We practice a very selective and almost humorously incongruent form of deciding what is right and wrong. Blowing someone's head off is a terrible crime... unless you are a police officer or are in the military and protecting the oil rights of some multi-billion dollar company. In those cases, you are most likely a hero. Violence against humans is terrible right? Does your school have a ROTC program? Are there, as is so common now, armed security guards patrolling the campus? When we got caught up in the "school shooting" media hype frenzy and allowed it to affect our education system, we ruined far more lives than all the school shootings combined. We took a percentage of students who were and will always be prevalent within the system and renamed them from class clowns and potential dropouts to criminals. What a sense of ambition we have inspired there! Previously you failed because you were stupid. Now, there is an implied chance that your inability to fit in, make grades, gain peer acceptance, etc. may be because YOU are the prison fodder for which the security officers are ever vigilant. I suppose we should also quickly edit all the History books as I have never in my life read any other literature which imparts so much importance on real, documented human violence.
I could go on until my keyboard breaks. Check out the Star Spangled Banner some time on the Wiki. Our National Anthem is a song about a war battle, with a melody taken from a British drinking song, containing lyrics such as "And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air." By your own definitions Rico, a Scratch game or animation based on our National Anthem would most surely have to be banned. Or would you deem it ok because you could personally justify that content for such usage? Ahhh, the conundrums we create and then fall headfirst into.

Personally, I wonder how many of the people demanding that we stop teaching our kids violence through simulated violence in video games have ever found themselves in the midst of some violent activity only to resend their actions after realizing that the 'video games made them do it.' The entire notion is absurd to the point of being insulting. Their are many other far more damning, tangible injustices being committed against our children in our school systems. So many kids in a class that the teacher becomes more of a referee. Administrators who intimidate teachers  into compromising their positive impact on students for reasons that have nothing to do with the best interests of the students. A federal government who was intentionally cut out of overseeing public education (ever wonder why out of so many things taken into consideration in our Constitution, never is there mentioned a necessity of the government regulating education?)  and yet has done so anyway by subsidizing schools who comply with Federal academic proposals while withholding money from schools who won't just play ball. How about administrations who recognize the seriously harmful gap created by parents who largely remain uninvolved in their childrens' schoolwork, yet do nothing to fix this. I mean, there is a Facebook site dedicated to parents who are angry at teachers for promoting No Child Left Behind! These parents are showing their ignorance to an embarrising extreme. Teachers have almost universally spoken out against this very thing!

As parents, we may be the most to blame. We tell bedtime stories where the good guys always win. Bullies are thwarted, injustices righted, and then we tell her that she is the most special little princess in the whole wide world. Awwww... Hey, I do it too! I'm certainly not claiming to be better than anyone else. ut I think we are all heroes as well as villains. I believe that it is far more dangerous to classify the world in black and whites as opposed to shades of grey. Because everything is relative.
Kids instinctively know this. They laugh at the wrong things, are unashamed to stare at someone with a physical deformity, and will quickly threaten each other with every conceivable disaster up to and including violence if they don't reap the rewards of their own selfish demands. School itself is based entirely on a system of rewards and punishments. We lie to our kids and tell them "if you work hard enough, you will get ahead." Imagine a world where magically, students were each and everyone successful and made straight A's. Who is gonna dig the ditches? Clean the toilets? Sweep up your room and empty your trash at the end of the school day? The scam is perpetuated by and deeply ingrained in every level of our society, but don't think for a minute that everyone falls for it. The poor kids who grew up watching their parents and grandparents fight unsuccessfully against things like racism may not make it into Mensa, but they know that they are far less likely to wind up driving a Porche home from their corporate CEO position than winding up in dilapidated homes and being eyed by potential employers as though they are there to rob the place. So we separate the wheat from the chaffe, the bomb builders from the great unwashed. Kids play violent video games because they are fun. If they don't find them fun, they play something else. The games don't twist our little darlings, they come out of the womb with far more an inclination towards violence than most people would ever want to admit. It is called human nature. You show me a philosophy of education that damns violence, sexuality, and all the other uncomfortable little quirks of human existence and I'll show you one that is so unrealistic that to follow it is pure folly. Now you are telling kids that they are bad for expressing qualities that they were born with yet are fundamental to our survival as a species?!?! Um, they are not idiots, you know? Even they know that this debate is trite and unrealistic. You can propose that we all just 'be good people' but whose fault is it when you get angry because it doesn't happen?

You may think the solution to inspiring the lives of our children is to lock them away from the things that personally offend you but I disagree. You have no right. It is not your job, mine, or anyone else's to mold them with razor-edged cookie cutters. Besides, that doesn't work. What does work is inspiring them by giving them knowledge, showing them that ultimately they will have to mold themselves, and providing alternatives to the status quo of current social commentary. Yes, there will always be gratuitousness in any arena which is frustrating but still is not worth locking the kids up in a self-riteous bubble. But I don't care how over-the-top, blood guts and gore silly a game is, it will never bear remotely as much impact on lives as our own basic human instincts. Fight or flight, aka. eat or be eaten. It is no coincidence that we have emerged at the top of the food chain! Of course I'm not advocating an hour a day of Call of Duty time for kids at school. But claiming that fantasy violence in video games is the smoking gun behind criminally bound futures is worse than silly, it is like proposing a treatment without finding out what is wrong with the patient.  Physician, heal thy self! Ae you certain that a more important factor might not be something like right or left-handedness? A 2004 study conducted by Faurie and Raymond complementing ethnographic data with a discussion of the success of left-handers in certain sports, to demonstrate that left-handed individuals have a competitive advantage in combat. The rate of left-handedness appears to correlate with the amount of violence in a given society (taking homicide rates as a measure). How about the staggering number of people killed through history for religious reasons and causes? I'll leave it up to you Rico to take on the churches. Good luck with that too.
All right, I'm through. My last comment will be about how this takes me back to my Dungeons and Dragons days circa 1983. If commonly touted insights into the impending doom of any hapless child caught within the satanic tendrils of that game were true, I guess that would explain most of the violence in America today. In my opinion, we actually just had a lot of fun and garnered an amazing amount of historical and and generally geeky knowledge. We just didn't get the marked improvements of reaction time and hand eye coordination and along with it! > tongue  The reason violence shows up repeatedly in video games is because, like it or not, it is simply entertaining. Not to everyone, just the vast majority. I wish that we could all evolve beyond our out-dated needs for and preoccupations with violence, materialism, racism, cultism, etc. I also wish that magic was real. Wouldn't that be cool?

But hey, I always try to remember that I could be wrong. Peace.

u r so wise

#155 2009-11-14 07:54:09

juststickman
Scratcher

rico wrote:

I have been using and promoting Scratch as a way to introduce students in grades 3 through 5. We have enjoyed what we've done very much, and the students and I have learned a lot with lots more to learn. We've always had these rules: #1. No human victims, #2. Nothing violent. And now my students have shown me Scratch programs like this one:

Can anything be done to clean up Scratch, or should I abandon its use at our school and block the site? If I'm the only one who thinks this type of violence is inappropriate then that's what I'll have to do. It's been fun while it lasted, however. I've got students watching the Naruto Christmas Special over and over again.

I thinks someone else said this too:
If you don't like this, you can't change it when most of the community is ok with it. No need to leave, but don't make us all suffer because of a small percentage of projects.
Oh yeah and I think more than half of all scratchers will quit/stop posting if violence is banned.

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#156 2009-11-22 11:59:05

lonwol
Scratcher

juststickman wrote:

rico wrote:

If you don't like this, you can't change it when most of the community is ok with it. No need to leave, but don't make us all suffer because of a small percentage of projects.
Oh yeah and I think more than half of all scratchers will quit/stop posting if violence is banned.

I won't. Thats like communism. I'll rebel against them.

#157 2009-11-22 12:12:44

Ssbrawl700
Scratcher

lonwol wrote:

juststickman wrote:

rico wrote:

I won't. Thats like communism. I'll rebel against them.

Liberty Prime (Fallout3) wrote:

COMMUNISM IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF FAILURE.

Can you beat the ever-so challenging Keyboard Khaos?

#158 2009-11-24 20:02:00

owetre18
Scratcher

JasonVoorhees wrote:

IS THERE A WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO STOP commenting on projects but let certain people comment?

yes you can and it's called ignoreing you put that person on the list and they can't comment on your project

#159 2009-11-25 03:06:56

juststickman
Scratcher

owetre18 wrote:

JasonVoorhees wrote:

IS THERE A WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO STOP commenting on projects but let certain people comment?

yes you can and it's called ignoreing you put that person on the list and they can't comment on your project

No, ignoring means that you won't see the comment. It will still be there.... RIght? Or did they change that?

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#160 2009-11-25 16:54:36

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

juststickman wrote:

owetre18 wrote:

JasonVoorhees wrote:

No, ignoring means that you won't see the comment. It will still be there.... RIght? Or did they change that?

When you put users on your ignore list, they will be unable to see your projects and galleries or comment on them when they log in (if the user is not logged in, they will be able to see your projects and galleries). Note that putting a user on your ignore list will also prevent you from seeing the ignored users projects and galleries as well (again, only applied when you are logged into the website).

Project and gallery comments that an ignored user made previously (that is, before having been added to the ignore list) will still show up on projects and galleries, but instead of the original comment, the comment will display a message saying the comment was posted by a muted account (this applied to both logged in members and viewers who are not logged into the website).

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#161 2009-11-26 19:35:07

nanonxt
Scratcher

I agree. I have done my fair share of reporting. I think A webmaster should go over the games. Could there possibly be a section for these types of games but should be restricted.

#162 2009-11-30 07:17:23

juststickman
Scratcher

nanonxt wrote:

I agree. I have done my fair share of reporting. I think A webmaster should go over the games. Could there possibly be a section for these types of games but should be restricted.

Read the last few posts about how many projects are posted a day. Also, about the second thing, people could just make an account with a false age to view.
AND you can't IP ban, that's just cruel.

And I think the original project example was actually an OK project, better than the real naruto ^_^

Last edited by juststickman (2009-11-30 07:19:46)

#163 2009-11-30 13:54:39

rdococ
Scratcher

#164 2009-11-30 13:57:10

rdococ
Scratcher

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/juststickman/715930
I like pie. If you like pie, paste this into YOUR (not your neighbor's) signature. 87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. __________________________________________
I like Pie!

#165 2009-11-30 13:59:12

rdococ
Scratcher

#166 2009-11-30 14:02:50

rdococ
Scratcher

Ok... Can scratch team un-mute users? NOTE: If you ignore yourself, you ignore everyone (even your projects and gallerys)!

#167 2009-11-30 14:06:18

rdococ
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

juststickman wrote:

owetre18 wrote:

When you put users on your ignore list, they will be unable to see your projects and galleries or comment on them when they log in (if the user is not logged in, they will be able to see your projects and galleries). Note that putting a user on your ignore list will also prevent you from seeing the ignored users projects and galleries as well (again, only applied when you are logged into the website).

Project and gallery comments that an ignored user made previously (that is, before having been added to the ignore list) will still show up on projects and galleries, but instead of the original comment, the comment will display a message saying the comment was posted by a muted account (this applied to both logged in members and viewers who are not logged into the website).

I found a nasty comment and ignored who posted it.

#168 2009-12-09 15:39:52

juststickman
Scratcher

rdococ wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

juststickman wrote:

I found a nasty comment and ignored who posted it.

That's good. You should also report it.

rdococ wrote:

I like pie. If you like pie, paste this into YOUR (not your neighbor's) signature. 87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. __________________________________________
I like Pie!

Erm... Thanks for being the first one to copy!

Now back on topic!
This is ending up as a thread where people say "I did ignore this guy!"... To those who are  posting those "I ignored this guy!" replies, good for you! But it doesn't really relate to this topic, unless you have an opinion like that person was being rude because you had a tiny bit of violence in your projects or something. So don't post something like that, just report it, be happy and move on. Or reply with something on topic (unlike what I normally do :F).

#169 2009-12-16 15:52:02

masterhand7
Scratcher

Hi, I stumbled on this and read quite a lot.
If games are reviewed by the Scratch Team before being posted, then what is "Ninja Man Hummer" doing on the front page? It is definitely a violent game, as the image on the front page shows Ninja Man holding a knife with a bleeding corpse next to him. So what is it doing on the front page?!?!!?  yikes

Click here to see the first iPhone virus!
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/MASTERHAND7PWNZ.jpg

#170 2009-12-16 20:23:36

TobiOlivers
Scratcher

masterhand7 wrote:

Hi, I stumbled on this and read quite a lot.
If games are reviewed by the Scratch Team before being posted, then what is "Ninja Man Hummer" doing on the front page? It is definitely a violent game, as the image on the front page shows Ninja Man holding a knife with a bleeding corpse next to him. So what is it doing on the front page?!?!!?  yikes

they can't check everything. Just like youtube, stuff leaks through. The stuff on the front page isn't monitered by the scratch team, the server does the "what the comunity is ____" stuff. If the community liked it, it was put up. Scratch Team members, correct me if what i just said was wrong.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/NintendoTobi/Meepsig.png
I Am Meep, yes.

#171 2009-12-21 22:57:27

Yumi9989_9989
Scratcher

ugh..no one understands anime anymore....I'm annoyed by everyone on this forum.Can't you just allow violence to a certain extent?we're kids,not prisoners!KIds come to scratch to ESCAPE being bossed around by adults,not to BE bossed around!that's y ppl r quitting!half the mods now r trying to earase every trace of violence on scratch...and now everyone's projects are getting flagged...once i saw one with the most cute little shibi thing of Duncan from TDI,the next day i meant to that project to see it again-it was flagged.

http://dragcave.net/incubators/incubator_yumi9989_9989.png

#172 2009-12-21 23:15:41

TobiOlivers
Scratcher

Yumi9989_9989 wrote:

ugh..no one understands anime anymore....I'm annoyed by everyone on this forum.Can't you just allow violence to a certain extent?we're kids,not prisoners!KIds come to scratch to ESCAPE being bossed around by adults,not to BE bossed around!that's y ppl r quitting!half the mods now r trying to earase every trace of violence on scratch...and now everyone's projects are getting flagged...once i saw one with the most cute little shibi thing of Duncan from TDI,the next day i meant to that project to see it again-it was flagged.

some of us like me are 13, but there are alot of little kids on here that are like 5. Some just are not appropiate for 5 year olds. I like anime alot, but it has alot of bad stuff too, alot of *. In japan, manga and anime is meant for adults, not like in america where comics are ment for kids. Not all of us are mature enough.

I Am Meep, yes.

#173 2009-12-22 19:14:19

scratch_yoshi
Scratcher

TobiOlivers wrote:

Some of us like me are 13, but there are alot of little kids on here that are like 5. Some just are not appropiate for 5 year olds. I like anime alot, but it has alot of bad stuff too, alot of *. In japan, manga and anime is meant for adults, not like in america where comics are ment for kids. Not all of us are mature enough.

*points to your sig* I don't believe that game is even appropiate to 5 year-olds. I just flagged it for having blood.

Retired from Scratch, but just the language itself. Not the forums.

#174 2009-12-22 23:00:40

TobiOlivers
Scratcher

scratch_yoshi wrote:

TobiOlivers wrote:

Some of us like me are 13, but there are alot of little kids on here that are like 5. Some just are not appropiate for 5 year olds. I like anime alot, but it has alot of bad stuff too, alot of *. In japan, manga and anime is meant for adults, not like in america where comics are ment for kids. Not all of us are mature enough.

*points to your sig* I don't believe that game is even appropiate to 5 year-olds. I just flagged it for having blood.

mad  mad  mad  thats not nice, and i don't see even goryer games flagged! I have a warning, you must be mature. and don't think your so cool because you flagged someone!

Last edited by TobiOlivers (2009-12-22 23:06:36)

I Am Meep, yes.

#175 2009-12-23 13:55:04

lonwol
Scratcher

scratch_yoshi wrote:

TobiOlivers wrote:

*Ahem* S-C-R-E-W OFF

Board footer