This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2009-04-07 22:12:00

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Re: ITopic: Violent Scratch Projects

JasonVoorhees wrote:

IS THERE A WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO STOP commenting on projects but let certain people comment?

Not exactly...but you can add people that are annoying you to your Ignore list.  Then their comments won't appear.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#52 2009-04-08 08:21:50

bosox397
Scratcher

But you will still see the ignore message wont you? which is just as annoying

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#53 2009-04-16 06:38:59

TheoMarr
Scratcher

Shall I be on a patrol for violent Scratch programs and so they deserve to be removed? (By the way, I think Naruto Christmas Special I think is only just okay; mild violence and blood and bad language should be accepted)

#54 2009-04-16 07:56:52

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

TheoMarr wrote:

Shall I be on a patrol for violent Scratch programs and so they deserve to be removed? (By the way, I think Naruto Christmas Special I think is only just okay; mild violence and blood and bad language should be accepted)

I'm not sure you need to do anything special...just keep watch as you view projects, that would be very helpful!

#55 2009-04-16 11:56:59

DsGameMaker
Scratcher

Scratch has gotten many visitors of young kids lately so it will be good if we take off games with alot of violence to some extent.

#56 2009-04-16 16:52:26

keroro645
Scratcher

If I ever have a game with blood, I give warning. But I never include bad language,  I use the substitute words as i think of them, like dang or *...

Violence should be ok I guess, I always have violent games, to where it goes as far as shooting. I don't understand how people are like that.

I see on the news people on Grand Theft Auto then act it out for real and like killed a taxi driver. I don't see why I would do that, I know the consequences.

#57 2009-04-16 17:11:50

DsGameMaker
Scratcher

Even if you use subsitutes for the bad words you are trying to say people will understand them and say them more often (Which is not good!)

#58 2009-04-19 04:18:14

TheoMarr
Scratcher

I'm proud I'm on Scratch - And I'm not an adult. I haven't removed any projects yet because I haven't seen any too violent games or films yet! But if I do, you can ask me for what projects I have deleted. I'll be more than glad to tell you any updated info!

#59 2009-04-20 23:51:00

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

At TheoMarr: You need not post multiple times; if your post was the last, you need only to edit the last post and add your changes.  smile  Also, I would suggest you keep the names of projects you have flagged to yourself (I don't think you want to start a flame war between you and the project owner).

Last edited by cheddargirl (2009-04-20 23:51:15)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#60 2009-04-21 04:57:53

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

cheddargirl wrote:

At TheoMarr: You need not post multiple times; if your post was the last, you need only to edit the last post and add your changes.  smile  Also, I would suggest you keep the names of projects you have flagged to yourself (I don't think you want to start a flame war between you and the project owner).

Thank you cheddargirl - those are both very good points! 

Folks, when you flag a project, please don't mention it here in the Forums.  When you flag something it automatically sends a message to the Scratch Team and they will review the project.  Telling people here in the forums what you have flagged is just going to give free advertising to a project that you don't think people should see, right?  Thanks.

#61 2009-04-28 15:40:43

filo5
Scratcher

something offtopic, but it can help a lot.
I tried to copy Scratch Web Player and i've done a good job. That's what you have to do:
1. Download the Starter Package (Simpliest HTML with applet embedded + Web Player incl. Soundbank + sample project) from here > http://rapidshare.com/files/226850287/S … e.zip.html
2. Edit the code of index.htm to create the thing you need
3. Tell students to save their projects to /projects dir in folder where you place index.htm, /applet and /projects
You can avoid downloading applet from the MIT server using this method, so you'll save the bandwidth (we all know the bandwidth isn't unlimited).

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

#62 2009-04-28 20:02:17

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

filo5 wrote:

something offtopic, but it can help a lot.
I tried to copy Scratch Web Player and i've done a good job. That's what you have to do:
1. Download the Starter Package (Simpliest HTML with applet embedded + Web Player incl. Soundbank + sample project) from here > http://rapidshare.com/files/226850287/S … e.zip.html
2. Edit the code of index.htm to create the thing you need
3. Tell students to save their projects to /projects dir in folder where you place index.htm, /applet and /projects
You can avoid downloading applet from the MIT server using this method, so you'll save the bandwidth (we all know the bandwidth isn't unlimited).

Maybe you should repost that as a separate thread in the "Advanced Topics" section of the forum (or wherever you feel is best appropriate).

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#63 2009-04-29 06:18:46

TheoMarr
Scratcher

It's ok now

#64 2009-05-06 11:29:20

pokemon_master12
Scratcher

I definitely agree with that filter idea, but Paddle2See is right, it is not affordable and takes up power. And I do think that some people on Scratch post inappropriate or useless projects just to become popular and get attention by sharing half-hearted projects, for the sake of sharing a project.  sad  It's sad to hear of things like this happening on the most safe site that I've ever signed up on!

My Dragon Egg! http://dragcave.net/image/5YUA.gif
Visit my blog: http://freyasworld.wordpress.com/

#65 2009-05-08 14:39:19

TheoMarr
Scratcher

Yes, alright, I've now deleted all of those comments if you noticed. You do not need to explain about the "Posting multiple times" problem anymore because I understand

#66 2009-05-11 23:02:25

onethousand
Scratcher

If I ever made a game that was violent with shooting or something (which I will sometime in the future).
I would give a fair warning like... "rated PG-13 by me" or something similar so people would know the content.

Ready? Defend!
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/onethousand/741108

#67 2009-05-12 07:05:40

bosox397
Scratcher

I recommend putting it actually IN the project, cause people don't always read the project notes

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#68 2009-05-14 17:46:20

trae13
Scratcher

as a student in the eight grade i find some scratches extremly funny but others kind of gory. my friends and i like watch and talk about gory movies. i think that violence is just a way for kids to express how they feel. but at the same time games or videos with people dying can be unacceptable, especially at a web site like scratch. i think scratch should be a safe place and a clean site. i don't think that your students realize that in this day and age people in places like high school drawing there class mates dying or there teachers dying isn't all that far fetched. for instance the shooting at columbine could have been predicted by what that group of students were doing and saying. i think that your students should try to remove those videos or games from scratch. i know it might make them mad but everyone who visits the scratch will thank you for preventing gory games and videos especially if a 1st or 2nd grader sees it.

#69 2009-05-21 10:45:27

HalenTheOne
Scratcher

Well, there's a fine line between unacceptable an acceptable. In my opinion, Christmas Special is acceptable, and is rather poorly drawn, almost to a humorous effect. All that aside, I beleive we should instate the TIGRS ratings. They're royalty-free and easy to understand. Oh, and this is my first post ^^;;...

#70 2009-05-21 19:31:17

Foxgirlgamer
Scratcher

NO! Don't block the site! I love Scratch!! I really do! I agree with the no blood thing, it is just wrong

Random unpopular scratch member: banan007! SUPPORT THEM! http://scratch.mit.edu/users/banan007

#71 2009-05-22 14:15:06

andy321
Scratcher

a fight with swords being innapropriate? even if it's really mild? I think that's just dumb. If a kid's parent is way too strict on violence, then screw them.

#72 2009-05-24 20:10:18

GoogleplexPlus
Scratcher

Gosh, rico is so strict... I don't like you  mad . Loosen up! Super Smash Bro. Brawl is voilent, and it only got a T because of W-A-R-I-O.

#73 2009-05-25 05:27:31

justbanana
Scratcher

rico wrote:

I have been using and promoting Scratch as a way to introduce students in grades 3 through 5. We have enjoyed what we've done very much, and the students and I have learned a lot with lots more to learn. We've always had these rules: #1. No human victims, #2. Nothing violent. And now my students have shown me Scratch programs like this one:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Comcastc99/71491

Can anything be done to clean up Scratch, or should I abandon its use at our school and block the site? If I'm the only one who thinks this type of violence is inappropriate then that's what I'll have to do. It's been fun while it lasted, however. I've got students watching the Naruto Christmas Special over and over again.

Nothing violent? That's just a bit unfair. Shouldn't it be something like no excessive, limb-removing bloody violence or something. I am under 15 years old and think absolutely no violence really restricts creations to very basic games (no enemies, no traps, no bombs, no weapons all pretty much lead to a boring creation). Maybe no blood, but no violence is just...(haha i don't believe I'm saying this...)wrong...
Ok that sounded weird. But anyway, please think about the violence thing.

#74 2009-05-25 06:42:04

justbanana
Scratcher

GoogleplexPlus wrote:

Gosh, rico is so strict... I don't like you  mad . Loosen up! Super Smash Bro. Brawl is voilent, and it only got a T because of W-A-R-I-O.

Oh so thats why

#75 2009-05-25 18:09:26

sanda427
Scratcher

scratchcritic564 wrote:

big-bang wrote:

PokemonMaster64 wrote:

If you have those three rules, I would suggest banning computers and internet altogether. We all try to hide from these things, but you can't be young and innocent forever... violence... is something we can't hide from. I don't get what you mean by no human victims. Killing aliens is still violent. Also, mindless? Isn't it OK to be a little crazy sometimes? Also, you never mentioned blood. Blood does not always go along with violence. There could be a project with someone who os injured in it. That could have blood too. You would have to live in a box to live by rules that are that strict!
[blocks]<stop all>[/blocks] contact with computers if you want to keep those rules!

I agree. Sword fighting games? Those are... unrealistic... and lego.com tries to be appropriate. And (random) example: Goomba stomping - try doing that, you'll pull a leg muscle. Sometimes, "Cartoon Violence" is to keep people from really doing violence. But games without blood are scary to - one of the Resident Evil designers says that he makes gory games because otherwise, a guy getting sliced in half and not bleeding could lead to a misconception that doing an unspeakable act will not cause much pain. There's no perfect way out, unfortunately.

I agree. no offesnse, rico, but you obviously have problems, if you have to ban a site because of a few games with cartoon violence. as i've noticed, adults are always overprotective when it comes to violence. seriously, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is very non-violent, but somehow it got rated teen. and on scratch, blood is basicly nothing more than red stuff created in the paint editor.

i COMPLETELY agree. SSBB has no blood, no cuts, when you hit someone they fall backwards; or fall of the screen.  that Specific progect was bloody, But Kids aren't kids forever, Are they? They grow into teens, and then adults. They need to start handling things like this.

http://squiby.net/view/2246392.png

Board footer