This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-03-12 18:27:35

andy321
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Violent Scratch Projects

pokemon_master12 wrote:

I agree with you completely. I've searched using Google before and it's come up with inappropriate images and sites. And I saw a user who seems to just share useless, inappropriate projects, and they'd made one about Pokemon being gay, which I think is very offensive and rude.

agree with who?

#27 2009-03-14 06:06:28

Darkpulse
Scratcher

he probably agreed with red neptune

anyway violence isnt all 'evil and bad' sometimes games with minor violence in can be something to pass the time with.
As long as it doesn't swear and stuff and inappropriate (bad spelling) pictures aren't in it I dont mind

#28 2009-03-14 13:37:17

scratchcritic564
Scratcher

Darkpulse wrote:

anyway violence isnt all 'evil and bad' sometimes games with minor violence in can be something to pass the time with.
As long as it doesn't swear and stuff and inappropriate (bad spelling) pictures aren't in it I dont mind

lots of times, violence isn't as bad as the esrb says. like in legend of zelda twilight princess, the violence is VERY mild, and is no more violent than a lot of E rated games. and brawl, that's just cartoon violence, and very unrealistic (like warios fart attack. how are you supposed to use a fart to send people flying and launch yourself into the air).

#29 2009-03-15 03:49:59

mattb348
Scratcher

scratchcritic564 wrote:

Darkpulse wrote:

lots of times, violence isn't as bad as the esrb says. like in legend of zelda twilight princess, the violence is VERY mild, and is no more violent than a lot of E rated games. and brawl, that's just cartoon violence, and very unrealistic (like warios fart attack. how are you supposed to use a fart to send people flying and launch yourself into the air).

Yea I have to agree with you there. Unless a game is along the lines of say, grand theft auto, then for the most part, I too think that the esrb may not always be all that accurate of a rating. Just my 2 cents though.

Last edited by mattb348 (2011-05-09 00:41:34)

#30 2009-03-30 02:01:45

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

andresmh wrote:

When people flag projects as inappropriate there are two things that could happen:

1. If the project receives one or just a few flags, the Scratch Team reviews the project and makes one of the following decisions:
a) censors the project, this sends a notification to the creator asking him or her not to post that kind of project
b) marks it as "for everyone" when we think it's something we would show to any person. For example, an animation of a ball or a scientific simulation.
c) marks it as "not for everyone" when the project show mild violence, are OK in the cultural context of the US media, but that we would rather not emphasize. Projects like this cannot make it to  the front page.

Hello, I just stumbled onto this thread, and I have a few questions regarding the (c) option.

I'm currently working on a platform game in SCRATCH, it's been an ongoing hobby of mine for the last few months, and the game involves the main character using a sword to beat down monsters (the monsters, in this case, are mostly somewhat of half-human half snake demon creature, and a really giant flying snake); in addition, the game is bloodless and there is no hacking of creatures to bits (they just disappear on contact with the sword) as well as no textual references of death (If anybody is familiar with 4Kids Co. guidelines approach when it comes to editing Japanese anime shows, the approach to my game is similar in that respect).

In the context of US media rating, the game would most likely be given a fantasy violence rating. This leaves me concerned now, because chances are is that my game might probably fall under the "not for everyone" category.

My first question is: What is SCRATCH's guidelines on what constitutes as "mild violence"? I understand it falls under the context of US media, but, being that different countries have different cultural contexts, I'd like to know a more definite answer.

My second question: Is there a way for a user to automatically label their own projects as "not for everyone"? Or are all projects subject to the opinion of the SCRATCH community when they see it (that is, it's assumed all projects, when uploaded are okay unless the project is flagged)?

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#31 2009-03-30 17:22:10

Bingo_chao
Scratcher

I don't think they allow violence..........

The WOOTER In Coolness Cuz Of www.roblox.com

#32 2009-03-31 00:36:50

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Bingo_chao wrote:

I'm still surprised that something like the Naruto Christmas Special can still manage to stay on SCRATCH.

I'm hoping someone from the SCRATCH team is able to answer my question.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#33 2009-03-31 05:21:00

Rolers_sonic_tails
Scratcher

Bingo_chao wrote:

Bingo i agree with you

http://planetsmilies.net/cool-smiley-8942.gif
cool! click the color-changing people to go to where i found it!

#34 2009-03-31 05:22:56

Rolers_sonic_tails
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Bingo_chao wrote:

I'm still surprised that something like the Naruto Christmas Special can still manage to stay on SCRATCH.

errrrrrrr maybe it has no violence and scratch is not pure capitals

#35 2009-03-31 07:44:21

Rolers_sonic_tails
Scratcher

Pronto reply:Don't quote him...

#36 2009-03-31 07:46:16

Rolers_sonic_tails
Scratcher

Rolers_sonic_tails wrote:

Pronto reply:Don't quote him...

Ok?

#37 2009-03-31 14:17:42

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Rolers_sonic_tails wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Bingo_chao wrote:

errrrrrrr maybe it has no violence and scratch is not pure capitals

The Naruto Christmas Special has a substantial amount of blood, so it's considered violent, but since it's still online, I'm assuming it falls under the guidelines of what is acceptable mild violence in U.U. media culture. Again, recall what I have said before: that different countries have different cultural standards. I would like to know in more detail what is the SCRATCH Team's approach is when determining what and what not constitutes as mild violence.

I know SCRATCH isn't pure capitals, but the logo has it in pure capitals, and I've gotten used to typing it that way.

So, does anybody know the answer regarding my "mild violence" question?

#38 2009-03-31 14:19:44

BoltBait
Scratcher

I wonder if my Hangman game would be considered violent.  big_smile

Animated sigs must be banned!
http://boltbait.com/j.pnghttp://boltbait.com/s.pnghttp://boltbait.com/d.pnghttp://boltbait.com/a.pnghttp://boltbait.com/p.png

#39 2009-03-31 16:29:47

Bokonon
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

My first question is: What is SCRATCH's guidelines on what constitutes as "mild violence"? I understand it falls under the context of US media, but, being that different countries have different cultural contexts, I'd like to know a more definite answer.

My second question: Is there a way for a user to automatically label their own projects as "not for everyone"? Or are all projects subject to the opinion of the SCRATCH community when they see it (that is, it's assumed all projects, when uploaded are okay unless the project is flagged)?

Hi Cheddargirl,
I'm happy to answer your questions about this. 
Projects are marked as "Not for everyone" when they contain violence of the kind you might see in Naruto, Tom and Jerry, or my personal favorite, Samurai Jack.  Projects are only reviewed once they are flagged, and the classification is up to the moderators who are monitoring the site that day. Projects that are not for everyone may have violence that is cartoonish, not overly explicit, and not suggestive.  Crossing over this line or depicting realistic violence in detail will result in a project being censored.

It's important to understand why we came up with this system. We want Scratch to be a way for kids with many different interests to express themselves. A lot of kids really like cartoon shows that have some violence, and we didn't want to exclude them or their projects from the site. At the same time, some parents feel that cartoon violence may not be appropriate for their children to see, and we didn't want to exclude them or their kids either. So as a compromise we made it so projects that contain a certain amount of cartoonish violence can still be viewed on Scratch, just not on the front page.  And we are in the process of developing a portal to the Scratch site that contains only projects that are marked "For Everyone."

From the description of your project, it sounds as though it may be marked Not For Everyone (but just barely), but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing it. This is different from a project that has (for example) a shark eating fish - that would be considered "For everyone" because it's a natural process, and it doesn't show a violent action that a person could do.  Also, a starfighter attacking other starfighters is pretty abstract, so it would probably be 'for everyone,' whereas combat with swords usually falls into the 'not for everyone' category.

As to your second question, we don't ask users to classify their own projects this way. We don't want to give the impression that marking a project as "not for everyone" would allow users to make projects that are inappropriate, or violate the Scratch website Terms of Use.

I hope this answers your questions.

#40 2009-03-31 21:34:52

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Ah, thank you so Bokonon. Having been part of two cultures that have different approaches to media culture, your post clarifies so many things for me.  smile

Last edited by cheddargirl (2009-03-31 22:01:33)

#41 2009-04-01 22:58:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

Just asking; violent projects aren't allowed, but what if you put a warning, CLEARLY letting the user know about the violence, before he sees the project? And what if the violence is optional, letting the user disabling it?

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#42 2009-04-02 12:42:43

Bokonon
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Just asking; violent projects aren't allowed, but what if you put a warning, CLEARLY letting the user know about the violence, before he sees the project? And what if the violence is optional, letting the user disabling it?

Hey technoguyz... I like your intentions, but I can still imagine problems with doing it this way.  Young kids who are browsing alone may choose to ignore the warnings, and look at stuff that is really too scary or violent for them.  Warnings like you describe are not quite the same as parental warnings on video games - those are there so that the parent can choose whether or not to buy the game.  Warnings about violence on Scratch projects don't give the parents that choice.  And it's important to us that we are respectful of parent's wishes about what their children see on the Scratch website.

#43 2009-04-02 12:44:50

Bokonon
Scratcher

oh and Cheddargirl, you are very welcome - glad it was helpful.  smile

#44 2009-04-03 12:33:47

technoguyx
Scratcher

Bokonon wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

Hey technoguyz... I like your intentions, but I can still imagine problems with doing it this way.  Young kids who are browsing alone may choose to ignore the warnings, and look at stuff that is really too scary or violent for them.  Warnings like you describe are not quite the same as parental warnings on video games - those are there so that the parent can choose whether or not to buy the game.  Warnings about violence on Scratch projects don't give the parents that choice.  And it's important to us that we are respectful of parent's wishes about what their children see on the Scratch website.

Ok. So no violence in my upcoming project... Oh well.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#45 2009-04-05 18:31:18

capitain47
Scratcher

No problem with violence. Other websites have worse things. Therefore, you should let them watch this little joke because they are young people and deserve to play with violent things they don't understand. It improves their sense of humor and gives your students a good laugh.
Block the scratch website won't solve the problem if they have internet at home.
I think violence and blood should be accepted, but removed when "playing" with real issues (religious, political, criminal, etc). If violence is just in cartoons, there's no problem with that. Violence and blood would not jump out from your screen and kill you. After all, violence is part of our world and sometimes our lives and play with it make violence seems stupid and unhelpful. Nobody can hide violence from kids for ever, because soon or late they will find it, no matter what you do.
One more question: When your kids saw for the 1st time the animation, what have they done? Have they stated throwing Christmas trees to you?
This is my opinion and if scratch is thinking to change the rules, I think we should voting this issue.

#46 2009-04-05 21:15:27

keroro645
Scratcher

What does it mean in the ESRB ratings when they say "Suggestive Themes"?

#47 2009-04-05 21:35:45

keroro645
Scratcher

This is a rating for a game in the iTunes store.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3516/wierdratings.png

#48 2009-04-07 09:44:24

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

keroro645 wrote:

Extremely mild representations of any ESRP rating stuff, but with no actual strongly expressed concept - for example a girl wearing tight and/or slightly revealing clothes.
Nothing bad, actually. ^_^

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#49 2009-04-07 18:23:43

keroro645
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

keroro645 wrote:

Extremely mild representations of any ESRP rating stuff, but with no actual strongly expressed concept - for example a girl wearing tight and/or slightly revealing clothes.
Nothing bad, actually. ^_^

Oh ok, I just wondered. Thanks

#50 2009-04-07 21:57:29

JasonVoorhees
Scratcher

IS THERE A WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO STOP commenting on projects but let certain people comment?

Board footer