This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-01-23 22:37:02

jkibbe
Scratcher

Looking for feedback! :)

Hi,

I teach middle school gifted students and plan to teach them how to use Scratch next week.  I made a standard fish game from a tutorial then added some extra features like an instruction page, timer, scoreboard, and a 'game over' screen.

I'm looking for advice and feedback about the game to learn how to use Scratch better.  What would you do differently?  How could the code be improved or simplified?  What are some other features you would add?

The game is located at http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/jkibbe/390836

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

#2 2009-01-24 02:12:45

mrweston
Scratcher

Re: Looking for feedback! :)

Hi Jason,

I'm also a middle-school gifted teacher, and use Scratch quite a bit with the kids (and with others as young as 8, who also love it). I'll take a look through your project when I'm not falling-down tired -- would be happy to chat code with ya.

cheers,
john

#3 2009-01-24 08:31:01

jkibbe
Scratcher

Thanks, John, I really appreciate it!   smile

#4 2009-01-24 15:55:01

mrweston
Scratcher

Hey again,

Looks pretty good to me, overall. Fairly straightforward code, and works as intended. Where I'd go from there:

- Try to reduce code repetition by pulling out common bits and calling them with broadcasts (or in other ways). Thinking of the string of [if...else] statements on the shark, for example.

- Try to reduce the number of [forever] loops, again with broadcasts. Instead of having the fish looping forever, checking for [touching shark], have the shark broadcast the hit to them.

- Where possible, keep code of the same "nature" in the same place -- for example, anything to do with the scorekeeping should probably be in the same chunk of code; adding/removing/setting points, playing good/bad point sounds. Makes management easier.

- What I might do at this point is start adding some state tracking with variables, so that (for example) if the shark has hit a bad fish, the other events (eating good fish, hitting more bad fish) don't happen during that time.

Anyway, lemme know if any of that doesn't make sense. It's all pretty subjective, so feel free to disagree.  smile

cheers,
john

#5 2009-01-24 18:01:40

room209
Scratcher

You might be interested in a handout Keith B and I made, walking through the steps of making this style of "player touches or avoids something" game.

It is posted the middle of the way down on this wiki page, titled "game directions, updated."

http://wiki.classroom20.com/Scratch+Lesson+Plans

Karen R.

#6 2009-01-27 14:40:12

jkibbe
Scratcher

Karen & John,

Thanks for your feedback.  I plan on learning how broadcasts work and like some of the extras I can add to the game.  I have also printed out the game direction handout (and more) and plan to put them to good use!

Thanks again!

Jason

Board footer