This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-01-12 01:28:51

tcb
Scratcher

My computer won't cooperate with the scratch board

Its not even that. The vista won't install the driver. I've done it before on an xp and that was a lot easier. But please can some one tell me what is going on?

it's a windows home premium if that makes any difference.

http://goo.gl/eCQLihttp://goo.gl/sK54shttp://goo.gl/jC0dehttp://goo.gl/yhGLQhttp://goo.gl/wqvsQ

#2 2009-01-12 06:41:50

Lutz
Scratcher

Re: My computer won't cooperate with the scratch board

Is the USB>Serial cable showing up in the device manager? It can be found in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager  and within the device manager there is an expandable menu called Ports. Let me know if the cable shows up there when plugged into the computer. Feel free to email me if you would like regarding the issue.
danny (-at-) plyafulinvention (-dot-) com

#3 2009-01-12 07:55:54

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Lutz wrote:

...Feel free to email me if you would like regarding the issue.
danny (-at-) playfulinvention (-dot-) com

Should that be "danny (-at-) playfulinvention (-dot-) com ?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#4 2009-01-13 08:06:18

Lutz
Scratcher

wow....i guess I should have my coffee in the morning before hitting any forums! I fixed the original post. Thanks for the spelling correction!

Ok...... Well....... is your Vista 64bit or 32 bit? There is currently no 64bit drivers that we have tested that work with that particular cable.

Does your login account have admin rights? You would need to have admin rights to install drivers.

Is UAC (user account control) blocking the installation?

Are there any error messages

The only other times Vista won't install the driver (that I know of) is if the driver was removed from the build- this is usually only in Universities or institutions where they want to reduce the package deployed to all their computers......so a (32 bit) home version of Vista should be ready and willing to install the driver.

keep us posted.

#5 2009-02-10 06:24:30

kimroggie
Scratcher

I have windows vista, 32 bit, admin rights, no UAC bothering and no computer at a university or something like that. But still I can`t find any drivers for the picoboard. The only message I get is that my computer can`t find any drivers.

what can I do about this

thnks

#6 2009-02-11 08:16:38

Lutz
Scratcher

The drivers are out there on the internet. Try in google " PL2303 vista driver"

#7 2009-04-01 05:30:27

mornski
Scratcher

I too am unable to get the picoboard working with vista.

vista sees that the device is plugged in but doesn't recognise it nor have a driver for it. This is just an out-of-the box home laptop. Many such are now 64-bit.

I'm going to look for the driver as suggested above but feel annoyed - how do I know the drivers offered out there are kosher? I expect either the device to work, as stated on the picoboard website, or to be offered the driver from that website. One of the advantages of both scratch, and the picoboard - so far - is that they "just work". Scratch isn't for experts and neither has been (so far) the picoboard!

I picked up a driver from a site called prolific and this seems to work. I have been working with a lot of local schools using scratch and picoboards but they're not going to be happy picking up random drivers - they'll expect one either from the picoboard website or one linked to form there.

Suggest a documentation change!

Morna

#8 2009-11-20 02:59:31

rdococ
Scratcher

#9 2009-12-19 10:16:27

ThePCKid
Scratcher

More like PictoBoard 404!

#10 2009-12-19 10:28:11

theThomasG
Scratcher

mornski wrote:

I too am unable to get the picoboard working with vista.

vista sees that the device is plugged in but doesn't recognise it nor have a driver for it. This is just an out-of-the box home laptop. Many such are now 64-bit.

I'm going to look for the driver as suggested above but feel annoyed - how do I know the drivers offered out there are kosher? I expect either the device to work, as stated on the picoboard website, or to be offered the driver from that website. One of the advantages of both scratch, and the picoboard - so far - is that they "just work". Scratch isn't for experts and neither has been (so far) the picoboard!

I picked up a driver from a site called prolific and this seems to work. I have been working with a lot of local schools using scratch and picoboards but they're not going to be happy picking up random drivers - they'll expect one either from the picoboard website or one linked to form there.

Suggest a documentation change!

Morna

I may get a Picoboard soon. I wanted to get it for a while already.

#11 2010-02-03 17:39:36

SOScratch
Scratcher

If your computer won't work with Scratch, then maybe you have a computer program that doesn't work or is not comatible with scratch. When downloading Scratch, you should always look at the computer program that is compatible. The other thing that could happen is that maybe you installed some other peice of software that made another program (scratch for example) to not be comatible anymore. That once happened to me. The only thing to do then is that you should take out the software that is causing the problem and then download scratch and then redownload the program you deleted or took off into a CD.

-SOScratch
Scratch On!

Board footer