This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-01-08 16:34:46

jensax
Scratcher

Class Specific logins

Does anyone created a 'class account' for students to use and upload their projects?  If so, how do you manage it?

Cordially,
Wanda Kurtcu
Computer Instructor/Educational Technologist
DRMS

#2 2009-01-09 14:49:57

Toasty
Scratcher

Re: Class Specific logins

I don't think that that is possible at the moment. You could make a shared acount for them all to use, or you could let them make there own accounts and create a gallery for all the projects to go in

http://i44.tinypic.com/263wpxe.png
Lovin' Toast

#3 2009-01-11 10:58:19

room209
Scratcher

This account is a combination of my own and student projects.  When we first started Scratch, I wasn't sure what the web site would turn into, so if I did it again I would probably separate the two.  On the other hand, it has been nice for the class to feel like we have a group identity on the site that carries over from year to year.

The way I work the student part is that when someone finishes a project, they hit the share and enter the user name, then I add in the password.  Pretty much anything they want to post can go on our general site, then I put representative examples into galleries for specific purposes. 

Mostly, I haven't had kids make their own log-ins for school purposes, due to the e-mail address request line and wanting parent permission before creating on-line presences for their kids.  To do this for math class and an after school Scratch club, I first sent home permission slips.

I hope this helps some,

Karen R.

#4 2009-02-03 14:53:49

Magnie
Scratcher

Maybe For A Suggestion You Could Ask To Make It So The Password Can't Be Changed If You Check The Box Then You Won't Have To Worry Students Changing It. I'm Not A Teacher Or Adult But Some Idea's  smile

#5 2009-02-04 07:10:48

lisadgogo
Scratcher

Great post... I am trying to figure out what is the best way to "share".  I have a few student who have taken the step to create an account. 

I have a vision of just making my account a class publishing site and having them in class give me the project and I will be the one to "share" it.  I worry about inappropiate postings (nothing harsh but normal middle school bathroom humor - lol)  I would like to keep it ar a certain standard if it is under my name.

#6 2009-02-04 21:50:20

room209
Scratcher

Yes, and also having it be your class collection, the projects posted become sort of your own community identity.  It is fun to go back through our "archive" to see where we've been, and other people get a picture of how Scratch gets integrated in our class.  That is harder to pull together when kids are posting to their own accounts, even with galleries.  The kids with the interest still can do their own sharing and add to galleries we set up.

I'd like to find more classroom collections, whether posting to a single log-in or to gallery.  Anyone reading this who has one, are you willing to let us know?

Karen R.

Board footer