This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-12-24 22:58:32

iwansuryo
Scratcher

Scratch Tutorial for Children and Beginner

I come from Indonesia, and I have translate Scratch into my own language, Bahsa Indonesia. Maybe I am the first Indonesian people who introduce Scratch programming in the classroom. I have got many techniques and tricks from this forum, but most of discussions in here are not for children consumption. So it will be hard to show the solution of some problems just by showing thread in this forum to my student, even though they are can read and speak english fluently.

So I have decided to create Scratch Tutorial blog that especially dedicated for children and very beginner.
                                    http://scratch-time.blogspot.com/
All of the material in my blog have been discussed in here, but I describe it again with step by step explanation. I think Scratch has opened very wide possibilities to script our games and programs, and we always can choose the easy way and the hard way. I will always choose the easy way, because I am a teacher and I want to teach other people about the simplicity of creating games, just like they are playing games.

I didn't give the source code, because it's very easy and hope that everybody who wants to learn would try to script it by himself or herself. This is how I teach my student in the classroom. But I would give summary of many aspect of education software too, that have connection or can be introduce with Scratch.

I will update this blog periodically. I will try to help everyone who ask me to give a brief explanation of some topics or issues in Scratch. But don't ask me about the advanced issues about complex problem that usually come when creating professional games. It is beyond my concern.

IWan Suryolaksono

#2 2008-12-25 05:49:42

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Re: Scratch Tutorial for Children and Beginner

Hi IWan -  I like your Scratch blog...it looks like a great start to a useful educational resource.  I'm going to move your post over to the Educators forum as it looks like a better fit there.  I hope that is okay with you.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#3 2008-12-25 10:24:17

iwansuryo
Scratcher

I am sorry. I don't pay attention that there are Educators Forum, because for me, all of the Scratch material is for education purpose. Althouh I know that for many children, creating games with trial and error or just read other codes without good reasoning is very confusing. Thanks again.

Iwan S.

#4 2008-12-27 08:49:56

room209
Scratcher

Iwan,
Thank you for adding the resource to the Classroom2.0 Scratch wiki, too.  I put it under the blogging section where it might get more notice.

If your students would ever be interested in trading comments with some kids in Minnesota, USA, leave us a note on a project and we'll reply.

Karen R.

Board footer