This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-08-12 14:56:20

AlveKatt
Scratcher

Game resolution

Hello. I want to suggest that you implement the ability to set the resolution yourself as well as unlimited file size.

I searched through the forum and saw that your reasons for not having this was to make projects suitable for publishing on the net.

What I can't understand is why you just don't make a startup dialog that asks if you want to publish your game on the net. Click yes, you get all the usual restrictions. Click no and you get unlimited filesize, the choice of higher resolutions but no "Share!" button.

Of course, you can still zip it and upload it for others to download, but if you don't like that, just don't mention it.

Please! Imagine the cool games we could make!

#2 2007-08-12 15:46:44

AngelEyra
Scratcher

Re: Game resolution

AlveKatt wrote:

Hello. I want to suggest that you implement the ability to set the resolution yourself

Seconded. (but have a max resolution)

AlveKatt wrote:

as well as unlimited file size.

That is technically impossible: I believe the webserver requires a max filesize, or else no one will be able to upload anything. It's how the server software works.

AlveKatt wrote:

I searched through the forum and saw that your reasons for not having this was to make projects suitable for publishing on the net.

This is true.

AlveKatt wrote:

What I can't understand is why you just don't make a startup dialog that asks if you want to publish your game on the net. Click yes, you get all the usual restrictions. Click no and you get unlimited filesize,

The files themselves don;t have a max filesize. Just the upload.

AlveKatt wrote:

the choice of higher resolutions but no "Share!" button.

I'm sorry, can someone tell me what the third part of the scratch "motto" is? (Under the logo or in my signature.)

AlveKatt wrote:

Of course, you can still zip it and upload it for others to download, but if you don't like that, just don't mention it.

We wouldn't mind

AlveKatt wrote:

Imagine this: You're looking at this great game on the scratch website... so you click the link. Guess what? The scratch game window is even bigger than your screen. You have to scroll down and right to see the loadbar. Fine. Now you've just waited half an hour and the loadbar is still under 50%. Hmm... Maybe you don't want to play the game anymore.

eyra

Last edited by AngelEyra (2007-08-12 15:48:36)

AngelEyra's . MyScratchR . Blog
Think with portals
Sorry, Companion Cube... I didn't mean to...

#3 2007-08-12 16:45:31

AlveKatt
Scratcher

AngelEyra wrote:

AlveKatt wrote:

We wouldn't mind

AlveKatt wrote:

Imagine this: You're looking at this great game on the scratch website... so you click the link. Guess what? The scratch game window is even bigger than your screen. You have to scroll down and right to see the loadbar. Fine. Now you've just waited half an hour and the loadbar is still under 50%. Hmm... Maybe you don't want to play the game anymore.

eyra

I don't see your point. If you can make a high res game with a large filesize you would share it by zipping it and uploading it to a personal webspace, not by embedding it in a webpage... You can see the download size and decide if it's worth the wait before you have waited half an hour and just gotten to "50%". Besides, if you want to find someone using a system that can't manage 1024 * 768 you -really- need to make an effort...

At least give us 800*600? Please?

Don't get me wrong, this peice of software is great. After half an hour of fooling around I had learnt how to use the graphical script language. Now if you could just lift those silly and pointless restrictions a bit this would be one very powerfull tool.  smile

#4 2007-08-19 00:34:46

jamie
Scratcher

Now your talking!

Check out my flash game site at http://subgaming.net/

Board footer