This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

#26 2009-02-11 11:45:12

mrweston
Scratcher

Re: Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

Again, for OS X, I'll refer your programmers to the File System Overview documentation provided by Apple; it's a good place to start. From there, they should track down the proper way to determine the location of a user's Home Directory, then point the Scratch dialogs at ~/Documents. There really isn't any other acceptable way to do this, from a UI convention perspective.

#27 2009-02-11 21:30:49

alexpja
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

It's so helpful for us to hear about your classroom setup and preferences. Thank you!

Alexpja, if you get a chance, I am wondering if you can post the directory path for your class folder? It's interesting to hear about the work you're doing in your school.

such as: \\fairview01\classshare\FAIRm101 ?

we access the district (School District 54) folders basically. does this answer your question

Sorry for never being on... I'm on Onverse now. So get inside, and Onverse yourself. Cya 'round.

#28 2009-02-25 23:14:42

natalie
Scratch Team

Here's another question. If we create a subfolder (in the Documents folder) would you like it called:
Scratch Projects
or
ScratchProjects
?
In other words, is it okay if the folder name has a space in it?

#29 2009-02-26 03:45:54

mrweston
Scratcher

No problem with spaces under OS X.

#30 2009-02-26 05:13:23

gibbo
Scratcher

I'm also having a problem with file saving for pupils.

The pupils do not have any access to local drives, but have three network drives mapped when they log in.

I've changed the INI file and added the Visible Drives line with "H:"

H: is their user area.  In their profile the H drive is mapped to \\FILESERVER\INTAKE2007$\username

In Group Policy we do not redirect the "My Documents folder".  All references to this folder are hidden and or removed.

They also have access to two shared areas - one is read only to obtain resources and files, one is write only for them to save their work for the teacher to access. These are mapped as drives J and K.

The only other drive they have access to is a USB memory stick, which is always mapped to drive U with the application USBDLM.

My issue is that the user cannot save their files.  If they try and save their work to "Documents" it saves the file to C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\username\My Documents

This is no good because when our group policy is set so when they log off the changes and files in this area are not uploaded to their H drives.

I am sure that many other UK schools are configured the same way.

Last edited by gibbo (2009-02-26 05:16:41)

#31 2009-02-26 12:34:30

mrweston
Scratcher

gibbo: What happens when they navigate to their user area on H:, by first clicking the Computer button on the left of the file listing? This is what we need to do in one of my labs (for essentially the same reaon), but it works well enough.

#32 2009-03-04 10:47:52

gibbo
Scratcher

It doesn't show.  None of the network drives show.

If you try and click the various buttons you can end up showing C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\<username>\MY DOCUMENTS

It will save there, but obviously will not save that back to the server, since that profile's changes aren't replicated back to the server on logoff.

#33 2009-03-09 11:52:07

teacherhugh
Scratcher

Natalie, I want to try to save the pupil work to their individual folders.  As the projects are going to be long running, it is not feasible to continually be reloading and restarting.  Are you any further forward with this issue?
Hugh

#34 2009-03-21 07:00:25

lahope
Scratcher

What an excellent question.  As a teacher working in a secure network environment, I'd like my students to be able to navigate to a shared network drive where our other programming projects are stored.  This is neither obvious nor easy for them, howver they cannot run executables in their home drives (for security reasons) and therefore all our programming projects are stored in this shared area.

#35 2009-05-14 09:43:43

tornado13
Scratcher

Saving to the documents folder (on a Mac) would be first choice; desktop, second.

#36 2009-05-21 19:59:36

vandel
Scratcher

i just got it downloaded i wanna impress my classmates i can do a whole buncha stuff i understand it may not be possible 4 someppl but i like 2 just keep it running so u dont have 2 worry about files and bookmarks n ol at nonsense.

#37 2009-05-21 20:01:34

vandel
Scratcher

hmmmmmmmmmm

#38 2009-05-22 12:24:18

georgygrrl
Scratcher

I wish I had paid more attention to this discussion! I had  commented at an earlier date about this exact problem. I agree, getting kids to save to the correct place is hard enough and now with the new version, it's even HARDER!!
I want a default to the user's documents folder. That would be great! Oh we are in a Mac OS X environment.
Thanks!
Scratch on!

#39 2009-06-05 05:13:57

BevS97
Scratcher

Is there any resolution with this?  We are hoping to start using Scratch next week but I know with the current system a lot of work is going to be lost.

At the moment,  if I hit Save,  we get 4 buttons down the side,  Desktop and Home both take you to the C hmm  Desktop or Home    which is not where our students work needs to be saved.   However,  it looks like it is saving it in the correct place,  and I know that they will believe that they have saved it to 'my documents'  since that's what it says on the screen,   but as it won't be saved to the networked 'my documents'   then their work will be lost when they try and find it from a different pc the following week.

I can access the correct folder by selecting My Computer,  and then the H hmm  and then My Documents,    however it would be much easier if we had a My Documents button on the side which took you directly to the correct place,  this happens with all the other software that we use.

#40 2009-06-05 05:34:12

BevS97
Scratcher

just to add,  I have added VisibleDrives to the ini file,   this works in that when selecting My Computer  you can only see the H: drive,  however  Desktop and Home are still displaying the C Drive.

#41 2009-06-06 13:47:00

MarioTV
Scratcher

Why not have it so the user can change it? Like when it prompts to save you can click a button and select your default.

#42 2009-07-05 21:26:19

natalie
Scratch Team

Your comments on this thread helped inform the changes to Scratch 1.4. The default save folder on the Mac is now Documents. For information on how to customize the default save folder and other settings, please see: http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Network_Installation

#43 2009-07-05 21:44:04

keroro645
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

Your comments on this thread helped inform the changes to Scratch 1.4. The default save folder on the Mac is now Documents. For information on how to customize the default save folder and other settings, please see: http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Network_Installation

That is interesting, does that mean you can have more than one default sprite?

#44 2009-07-16 12:59:01

mrweston
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

THANKS!  smile

#45 2009-07-19 01:41:03

billyedward
Scratcher

Alright, Here's the fix you want:
Go to http://streak.t35.com, and click on the green download page button at the top.
Then, under the fileInnable add ons section, click to download bookmarks.cs
Save it to somewhere you'll remember.
Now open scratch.
You now need to cause a walkback error. (there are numerous ways of doing this)
Open bookmarks.cs into a plain text editor, and copy it all. (use CTRL + A and hen CTRL + C)
Now paste it (ALT + V) into the large pane of the red walkback.
Select it all (ALT + A) and right click it.
Click more... and then 'file it in.'
Now, erase it all.
type in: 'Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: false.'
Highlight it, right click, and select 'do it' (alt + D).

ET voila, now scratch has bookmarks for the explorer!

To change, use the extras menu.
To save a certain one in Bookmark 1, 2, or 3, change it before you save the image (with the snapshot:andQuit:).

Hope this helps!

"I'd love to change the world, but they haven't released the source code yet."
Check out the latest version of Streak --> http://billy.scienceontheweb.net/Streak

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

Board footer