This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

#1 2008-12-22 15:30:54

natalie
Scratch Team

Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

When clicking "Save" on Scratch, which folder would you like Scratch to save to? That is, which folder should the default for "Save" and "Save as"?

For example, if you are on a Mac, do you want it to save to the Desktop or your home folder or somewhere else?

If on the PC, to the Desktop or My Documents (Documents on Vista) or somewhere else?

(The Scratch team is also investigating the possibility of being able to change the default save drive and folder through the initialization file.)

Thanks for any feedback you have.

#2 2008-12-22 22:40:34

mrweston
Scratcher

Re: Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

Hi there!

I am terribly excited that you are asking about this  smile

Running Scratch in a networked OS X environment is... less than perfect. One of my major gripes has been with the default save location -- while 99% of apps respect the file-saving APIs and default to ~/Documents, Scratch doesn't. So yeah, it should really be doing a call to find the user's Documents folder, and defaulting to there.

(Saving documents inside the app's folder is a terrible practice, so that should probably be avoided. If you want to properly follow the OS X conventions, support files such as demo scripts should really be placed in ~/Library/Application Support).

While I'm here, could you please please please pleeeeease make Scratch respond to other system-wide API calls, such as user logout? I spend half my time in the lab trying to explain to kids why their computer refuses to log out -- it's Scratch, completely oblivious to what's going on.

Thanks!  big_smile

#3 2008-12-23 06:49:03

natalie
Scratch Team

Hi Mr Weston,
It's helpful to read your feedback. One question: Which version of Scratch are you currently using in your school lab? The default folder changed in version 1.3.

#4 2008-12-23 14:38:32

smancusi
Scratcher

This request for opinions relates to the question I am desparately seeking answers for - installing Scratch in a PC network environment.

I am an educator hoping to start my school's first  Scratch class - an 8th grade Unified Arts class for 6 weeks.  If I log on to our computers, I can download Scratch - but then it doesn't show up for any student users if they log on to the same computer. Apparently, it wasn't created for a network environment?

If I download the Scratch exe file and put it on a shared network folder where students can access it and install it, it can't complete the installation because it apparently has to access the C drive in order to do so. Our student have mandatory profiles and no access to the C drive on any computers in the school.

Is there any information or experience that anyone else has to share? I'm so excited about sharing this software with my students and am just heartbroken at the thought that it might not be possible.

#5 2008-12-23 15:28:36

mrweston
Scratcher

smancusi: It's definitely possible, as I'm using it in a networked PC environment in one of my schools. But I'm not the tech there, so I'm not sure how the guy got it working. I'll ask after the holidays, though, and see if he's got any tips.

natalie: I'm running 1.3.1 here at home and in the lab. I'm not sure what changed in 1.3, but I can confirm that saving always points you to the Projects folder, which is what it shouldn't be doing.

#6 2008-12-23 16:29:27

room209
Scratcher

Saving to the documents folder (on a Mac) would be first choice; desktop, second.

Karen

#7 2009-01-08 11:49:26

mrweston
Scratcher

Just checking back on this topic to see if the Team has any further thoughts... ?

Did you need clarification of the two issues I described? (defaulting to ~/Documents, and listening to the OS for "quit" commands)

Thanks for your time, as always!

#8 2009-01-08 18:47:36

jamie
Scratcher

On a Mac, I would like it to create a folder in the user's home directory called "Scratch Projects" and save in there.

This is what I do on my Scratch-equipped Macs.

Check out my flash game site at http://subgaming.net/

#9 2009-01-13 08:46:48

natalie
Scratch Team

It's helpful to see your responses.

For Mac, I see that some prefer a folder inside Documents, others inside the user's designated Home folder.

For Windows and Mac: Would you find it useful to be able to customize the .ini file  so that you can designate which drive and folder is the default save location?

#10 2009-01-13 11:37:57

mrweston
Scratcher

While some people may choose to put documents in their Home Directory root, it is not a recommended practice; please don't make it the default. Here's a document you'll want to read (or have your developers read): Apple's File System Overview doc.

#11 2009-01-13 11:41:07

mrweston
Scratcher

Customizing an .ini file won't really help most of the time, as we're talking about networked environments here. When every user has his own Home Directory, it's not possible to hard-code a path into a file like that -- we need the app to be able to make a simple system call to be given the path to the current user's Documents folder as a default, then the user can go elsewhere from there if she likes.

#12 2009-01-14 14:18:00

wbtech
Scratcher

I work in a district where we have networked PC's and the majority are running Windows XP while we still have a few stragglers with Windows 2000. Students all have their own logins to the computers giving them access to their own network save space (i.e. their own Documents folder). We would like the default save location to be the user's Documents folder on the network space. The problem we are running into is the default save location is local computer, not the user's networked Documents folder. Any suggestions? For now we're having the students save to a temp drive that they have easy access to, although this is no where near the ideal situation.

Thanks for any help!

#13 2009-01-14 17:22:36

mrweston
Scratcher

wbtech: You won't be able to set the default folder until the Scratch team makes an update, but your students should still be able to save their projects in their own Documents folders. You can get to network drives by hitting the "Computer" button on the left of the Scratch save dialog; should be able to get at the user homes from there.

#14 2009-01-16 13:20:27

wbtech
Scratcher

mrweston wrote:

wbtech: You can get to network drives by hitting the "Computer" button on the left of the Scratch save dialog; should be able to get at the user homes from there.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I can still access the user's networked documents folder from there, but then we run into a potential security/privacy issue with our students being able to access other student's documents folders. When I click on the drive I am brought to the list of all students in the school, so if we decided to have students navigate to their folders by this method, they would have to find their folder among all the other students. I'd just hate for Scratch to become a way for students to be malicious towards other students, intentionally or not.

#15 2009-01-16 13:35:47

jeffreyj
Scratcher

Mac OSX 10.4 on a network:
I would love to see a default to Documents, or maybe Documents/ScratchProjects.
I also like to see options in Preferences so I could change the default.

Definitely not in Home directory, nor any app-based folder or Library app support folder

In an elementary environment, it takes a lot of extra  time to teach kids anything that deviates from the norm - Save to documents folder. The interface is different enough to slow them down a bit. I'm using Scratch with 2nd through 5th graders.

#16 2009-01-16 13:58:13

mrweston
Scratcher

wbtech: If, when presented with the list of all the students, your students are able to save into a folder that isn't their own, then you've got other security concerns to worry about. If they are logging into their own user accounts, then they shouldn't have write access to anyone else's directory, even if they can see them in the list.

That said, we're still having to deal with finding the right place to save every time; I hope this is a high priority fix for the team.

#17 2009-01-19 11:33:16

TrickyGT
Scratcher

wbtech
When your students click on Documents does it not take them to their space on the server.  We run a Windows XP networked environment and although Scratch defaults to the C drive when Documents is clicked it does take the student to their own area.  This way they are not having to find their name.
To echo other comments it would be very useful to make the default save location the users home space, ie My Documents on an XP machine.
All I have to do now is try to get that set up correctly  smile
Thanks for a fantastic piece of software

#18 2009-02-02 13:40:59

wrivet
Scratcher

Hello everyone,

I have a different problem when saving.

Computers are all on Windows domain. Students all have individual logins which maps personal home directory (drive H smile . My documents folder is redirected to H:

When the student tries to save their work, the entire systems slows to a crawl. The mouse movement becomes jerky and it is virtually impossible to save. Every computer in our lab does this. Systems vary from PIII 500 - 1GHZ with 256-512MB memory - all Windows XP Pro.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Willy

#19 2009-02-03 07:22:11

lisadgogo
Scratcher

It does not really matter what the default saving file is... Our school is networked and the kids must find their file through a series of clicks.  I almost think it is a good practice for them to see the "source of their journey" so that when doing other projects they will understand the saving/computer dynamic in our building.

#20 2009-02-10 16:43:45

KevinA
Scratcher

On our school network if Scratch defaulted to "My Documents" the network SHOULD redirect this to their network home drive. Unfortunately it doesn't!
We use the ini file and restrict Drives to H. This means that a single click will take them to the correct place.

#21 2009-02-10 19:50:02

natalie
Scratch Team

The programming team is working to figure out what to do for the next release based on your comments.

Here are some more questions:

* Is the biggest problem at schools the fact that students try to save projects in the Scratch project folder and can't?

* Do you have students log on with their own username--or is there a shared account for all students?

The team is trying to figure out whether Scratch could automatically detect the student's Home/Documents folder.

* It sounds like many would like the defaul to save a subfolder in Documents called ScratchProjects. Is that right?

* If Scratch could detect the Home/Documents (or My Documents), would you still need to have a way to change the default?

thanks,
natalie

#22 2009-02-10 19:51:29

natalie
Scratch Team

One more thing: an idea that the programming team is considering is having the Sample Projects be read-only within the Scratch programs/applications folder, and the default when saving a Sample Project is to save to the user's home/documents.

#23 2009-02-10 22:05:38

room209
Scratcher

Having sample projects be read-only would prevent kids changing them, then saving, but being able to move them somewhere else to remix would be nice..  In general, I'd rather not have student projects mixed in with the ones that come with Scratch.  We have kids save to the Scratch project folder by mistake, then when we go to install a new version, loose projects because we replaced the old folder. 

Students log on with their own passwords on our desktop machines.  They use a generic log in for a laptop mobile lab because the airport connection to the server is so slow.

A Scratch folder within documents for default saving would work well--those laptops currently have Scratch files on the desktop, in the documents folder, in the Scratch folder... and kids often complain someone trashed their file when it just wasn't saved where they expected.

#24 2009-02-10 23:25:20

alexpja
Scratcher

In my class (I'm a awesome techy, nerdy 10 year old in 4th grade), we have laptops and we use the same account. We go on a server and click our folder (it says our name and other students can access each other's folders. I always organize the folders  smile  ) and we save our stuff there. other students need my help getting to their folder (they love me since im awesome at computers. well at windows comps) and it takes a while. we would like the default folder to be like the class folder and students can press their name and save. at home, on my windows xp media center SP2 laptop, i would like the default folder on a folder on my desktop (C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Desktop\ScratchProjects) or on my memory stick (or flash drive or whtever.) like: F:\ScratchProjects . Or I could just pick whatever folder i want. i rather chose the first one.

at school we also have our own accounts but we never use them. i only use them

Last edited by alexpja (2009-02-10 23:26:00)

Sorry for never being on... I'm on Onverse now. So get inside, and Onverse yourself. Cya 'round.

#25 2009-02-11 06:18:28

natalie
Scratch Team

It's so helpful for us to hear about your classroom setup and preferences. Thank you!

Alexpja, if you get a chance, I am wondering if you can post the directory path for your class folder? It's interesting to hear about the work you're doing in your school.

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Seeking opinions: Which folder do you want Scratch to save to?

Board footer