This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-12-11 16:23:04

Lucario621
Community Moderator

How should I bring scratch to my school?

Well being in 5th grade, I'm soon moving to middle school, and I want to in this case,  bring it to their school, whether its an actual after-school activity, a course, or something else. I have more than half a year to be able to do this, so, how? What should I show them?

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#2 2008-12-11 16:34:11

archmage
Scratcher

Re: How should I bring scratch to my school?

It probally won't be included in a course because that would involve a lot of paper work. It also depends on what your teachers are like and if they are open to this kind of thing. Just ask your tech teacher and hopefully if enough people are interested they can start a club.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#3 2008-12-11 16:35:36

zawicki1fromyoutube
Scratcher

First, do what I did. Talk to your teacher about your interests. If she is interested in Scratch, go over it with her, and tour her around the site, and tell her what each block does. Like my teacher, she may ask if you would like to teach it to the class. I talked to MY teacher, and actually, this Friday, because I am in a cyber-school, I get to teach her how to use scratch. And before X-mas break, I get to teach the whole class on how to make an account, how to use scratch, and how to upload projects in a school cyber-chat! So hopefully, your teacher will do the same!

|Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii Friend Code: 3519-4456-0013|
|Follow me on Twitter|Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

#4 2008-12-11 18:39:36

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Ok....

#5 2008-12-11 18:50:24

Zelda123
Scratcher

As an elective in my school, there's this half year computer course where we do PowerPoint, Scratch, Garage Band, etc. so the curriculum was already set and Scratch was already included. It really depends on your school, teachers, other variables, etc.

#6 2008-12-11 19:06:12

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

That's really great that you're trying to bring it to your school!  I don't have any experience of my own to help you out there, but talking to your Tech teacher (as suggested by Archmage) seems like a good approach.  Let us know how it turns out and if there is anything we can do to help.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#7 2008-12-12 11:01:13

JSO
Community Moderator

And... What if you don't have a tech teacher  big_smile  (Ugh... Belgium)

We don't have any computer science or whatever till we're 16 or so. I think I might start up some kind of club, in case I am allowed to. Any suggestions?

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#8 2008-12-15 11:31:05

chrisg
Scratch Team

That's great that you want to bring it to your school.  Although I'm a parent not a student, I went through the same thing trying to start a Scratch Club at our middle school. Basically the suggestions to get a teacher interested are the right way to go, and it's definitely a good idea to get started now for next year. You will need someone 'official' involved because you'll need to have someone who can request things like getting the Scratch software installed on the school computers.

The one thing I really want to point out though is that it doesn't have to be a 'Tech' teacher although that's possibly a good place to start. Scratch is appealing in so many different ways - it could be an Art teacher if there's an art teacher who's interested in electronic media, a science teacher who's interested in physics simulations etc. In fact my club got started with one of the Special Ed teachers who just happened to also be interested in programming.

Good Luck!

#9 2008-12-15 17:13:26

Lucario621
Community Moderator

chrisg wrote:

That's great that you want to bring it to your school.  Although I'm a parent not a student, I went through the same thing trying to start a Scratch Club at our middle school. Basically the suggestions to get a teacher interested are the right way to go, and it's definitely a good idea to get started now for next year. You will need someone 'official' involved because you'll need to have someone who can request things like getting the Scratch software installed on the school computers.

The one thing I really want to point out though is that it doesn't have to be a 'Tech' teacher although that's possibly a good place to start. Scratch is appealing in so many different ways - it could be an Art teacher if there's an art teacher who's interested in electronic media, a science teacher who's interested in physics simulations etc. In fact my club got started with one of the Special Ed teachers who just happened to also be interested in programming.

Good Luck!

Thanks!  tongue

Board footer