This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-08-02 03:15:36

Crumbnumber1
Scratcher

Scenes

It would be nice to be able to have seperate scenes that you could move between in a projects using 'go to scene' and/or 'next scene' functions. This would make things a lot more organized. For example, you could make a scene that is the main menu and from there you can go to the help scene, settings scene, etc. It would be a lot easier to do such things and take a lot less functions.

#2 2007-08-02 08:42:06

beny
Scratcher

Re: Scenes

what do you mean????? there's alreday a block like that, the brodcast block! you just make it say what scene then go into the people/objects and for all of them put in a "when i recive:__" block then it'll do what you want

more people like the letter B than the letter A!
i'm going for 250 posts!

#3 2007-08-02 16:38:09

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: Scenes

There is a notion of "scene" that might be useful, beyond just a background change or a broadcast block.  It can be useful to have scripts that only exist for certain scenes, so that key presses or mouse clicks can have different actions in different scenes.

This can be emulated currently by having a "scene" variable and having scripts that look like

when <space> pressed
     if <scene>==3
           <body>

but the script area can get awfully crowded and cluttered with all the different scenes' scripts mixed together.

I'm not sure that scenes are an important enough concept to incorporate in the next version of scratch, but I can see how they would be useful organizing principle, helping to teach code modularity.

Board footer