This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-05-04 07:18:22

daniel_j
Scratcher

Automatic Minecraft World Backup

Hello guys and girls  big_smile

If you are anything like me you may be fond of a game called Minecraft, you know, the game that likes blowing you up? What a great game it is, however it can be extremely frustrating, especially if you work for weeks upon weeks building an awesome town or mansion, only to have a creeper blow you and your house up, destroying your spawn pointed bed, and loosing all your items. You then re spawn in the middle of the woods, sword less and completely on your own. This has happened to me a countless amount of times. So I decided to put my noob-ish Minecraft skills to the side and pull out my real skill, programming.
This is a de compiled batch file that will back your Minecraft world up every minute, even while playing. To use this, you would need to save the below text as a .bat file, somewhere on your desktop (or anywhere you would like).
This script backs your selected world up to a folder on your desktop called "world_backup". To use it again, simply paste that folder into "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves".

Code:

@echo off
title Backing up Minecraft world
if not exist "%userprofile%\desktop\world_backup" mkdir "%userprofile%\desktop\world_backup"
cls
color fc
cls
echo.
echo This little script is useful to protect your world.
echo.
echo If you die, or a creeper blows your stuff up,
echo.
echo you have a backup!
echo.
echo Please enter your worlds name.
echo.

:res
set /p world=
if exist "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves\%world%" goto top
cls
echo.
echo Woops! I cannot seem to find your world...
echo.
echo Is it one of these worlds?
ping localhost -n 4 >null
dir %appdata%\.minecraft\saves
del null
echo.
echo Try again, enter the name now.
goto res
:top
cls
del null
echo.
echo   ###########################################################################
echo   #                                                                         #
echo   #                     Backing up your Minecraft world!                    #
echo   #                                                                         #
echo   #          Every minute your minecraft world will be backed up!           #
echo   ###########################################################################
xcopy /s /y /q /i "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves\%world%" "%userprofile%\desktop\world_backup"
ping localhost -n 61 >null 
del null 
goto top

REM Made by Dan Jones, for personal use, or you know, what ever :D

REM I wrote this script in like 6 minutes, sorry for any errors, it works for me :)

I hope this script would be of use to some people.
Feel free to modify it for yourself ^^
Thanks, Dan.

Last edited by daniel_j (2013-05-04 07:31:01)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2dhgnsx.jpg

#2 2013-05-06 02:53:53

nathanprocks
Scratcher

Re: Automatic Minecraft World Backup

I made a similar batch script a while ago that automatically backs up the minecraft folder when Minecraft is closed. I used a Batch to EXE compiler to make it run "invisible" (so the cmd window is hidden) and I put it in the startup folder so that it runs when I logon.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#3 2013-05-06 04:17:44

daniel_j
Scratcher

Re: Automatic Minecraft World Backup

Yeah, I have used bat2exe, and it works wells, but trend micro likes deleting it because it actually dumps the batch file somewhere on your computer ^^ This is slightly different because it backs up as you play ^^, if you backup your world when MC closes, any damage, or if you die, that will be saved too, xD

http://i50.tinypic.com/2dhgnsx.jpg

Board footer