This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-04-18 22:37:16

Sellout
Scratcher

Re: Why is gender a requirement for signing up?

mikebmac wrote:

Why not just added an "other" with a text box (to elaborate if they feel the need) for selection process. Best of all worlds: you are respecting transgender people and collecting statistics for further development.

Cheddargirl said that would probably end up with people putting silly things in like vegetables instead of their actual gender identity

Also I can't imagine having an "Other" option would skew data too much and even if it does it's data that doesn't matter. What percent of people do you think actually put in their real birth year when they sign up? Are we taking extra special measures to make sure that's truthful?

Sure most people are male or female, but were most people born in 2013 or 1885?? You still let those be selected as options for birth year, but an "other" option for gender is totally out of the question??

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#27 2013-04-18 22:41:49

Sellout
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

blah blah

What I'm saying here why allow totally uncommon birth years that are probably 99% of the time just selected as a joke but not a real, useful and simple third option for gender, even if it does occasionally get selected when it isn't actually applicable

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#28 2013-04-18 22:53:36

veggieman001
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Sure most people are male or female, but were most people born in 2013 or 1885?? You still let those be selected as options for birth year, but an "other" option for gender is totally out of the question??

interestingly there hasn't even been any known living people in the world born in 1885 since before scratch was created

#29 2013-04-18 23:19:43

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Sellout wrote:

Sellout wrote:

blah blah

What I'm saying here why allow totally uncommon birth years that are probably 99% of the time just selected as a joke but not a real, useful and simple third option for gender, even if it does occasionally get selected when it isn't actually applicable

Some computer survey systems are bound to leave in some crazy birthday options. This isn't the first time I've seen year options for the late 1800's, and I've seen some that let users choose a date in the future.

Most of the time, computerized surveys let users choose a birthday within the last 100 to 120 years of age or so (improbable, though not unrealistic since there are people who have managed to live over the age of 100). When a new year passes, it doesn't kick off the oldest year on the list, it just adds on another year (or sometimes a set of year ranges). The result is some crazy and wacky year range that users can choose from, which gets crazier and wackier as time passes. O.o

Last edited by cheddargirl (2013-04-18 23:35:23)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#30 2013-04-18 23:29:55

FramedApollo4
New Scratcher

My advice try an angry email or just deal with it.

-----------------------------------------
SAYS THE INTELLIGENT PERSON

#31 2013-04-19 08:36:18

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Sellout wrote:

blah blah

you pretty much just went against the first post

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#32 2013-04-19 09:44:44

Champ99
Scratch Team

Detriment wrote:

I am physically a male but I do not identify with either of the terms male or female, and I find it an invasion of privacy that the site requires me to choose between the two. There should be a third option, "Other", or better yet, remove it entirely. I just got here and I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot, but this is very tiring for me to have to deal with everywhere that I go.

Hi Detriment, I'm one of the developers on the Scratch 2.0 website and as the person who coded up the registration page I can confirm we will have a text box for gender identities that don't align with just male or female. Personally, I agree with your points, and feel strongly that it should be there!

#33 2013-04-19 11:04:39

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

@the weird transgender thing about how adding this other option would free them; transgender people normally align with the gender binary
genderqueer is the word youre looking for

goodby scrat on pont fore

#34 2013-04-19 16:31:34

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Champ99 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

I am physically a male but I do not identify with either of the terms male or female, and I find it an invasion of privacy that the site requires me to choose between the two. There should be a third option, "Other", or better yet, remove it entirely. I just got here and I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot, but this is very tiring for me to have to deal with everywhere that I go.

Hi Detriment, I'm one of the developers on the Scratch 2.0 website and as the person who coded up the registration page I can confirm we will have a text box for gender identities that don't align with just male or female. Personally, I agree with your points, and feel strongly that it should be there!

Woah, I've never heard of you! And glad to see there's an option - While I'm a boy/male, I don't like things to be biased toward male/females  smile

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#35 2013-04-24 20:55:30

pugluv4ever
Scratcher

Detriment wrote:

This is obviously an innocent mistake on the ST's part, I'm sure they didn't anticipate this problem.

Never the less, it should definitely be changed out of sensitivity to the LBGT (well I guess mainly T but you know) community.  smile

http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/static/site/galleries/thumbnails/19/2162.png
Goodbye 1.4!  I will always love you!

#36 2013-04-24 21:35:36

fivehead
Scratcher

I don't understand why it's that big of a deal. I mean, if they asked you what your full name was, then it would make sense to complain but there are millions of males and females in the world, so it would be insanely unlikely for someone to know who you are just by saying that you are a male or female.

Goodbye 1.4  sad
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc7sst6hKv1rghkxeo1_500.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctyxwHfGI1rghkxeo6_250.gif

#37 2013-04-24 21:43:46

veggieman
Scratcher

fivehead wrote:

I don't understand why it's that big of a deal. I mean, if they asked you what your full name was, then it would make sense to complain but there are millions of males and females in the world, so it would be insanely unlikely for someone to know who you are just by saying that you are a male or female.

It's not a question based on danger of identification but rather the proper classification of a person.

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#38 2013-04-24 21:55:25

jji7skyline
Scratcher

It's your choice whether or not you sign up.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#39 2013-04-24 22:00:08

veggieman
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

But why wouldn't they provide a choice to accommodate for more people
(and yes I know they are going to in 2.0 but this is for the sake of argument)

#40 2013-04-24 22:03:11

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I believe everyone is born with a physical gender, but some have a mentally different one. Then they can choose what they want. If they're trans, they've changed their gender physically afaik, so they can choose their new gender. No one doesn't physically have a gender.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#41 2013-04-24 22:25:24

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

If anything, it should be "rather not say" but I couldn't care less.

#42 2013-04-24 22:54:43

veggieman
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I believe everyone is born with a physical gender, but some have a mentally different one. Then they can choose what they want. If they're trans, they've changed their gender physically afaik, so they can choose their new gender. No one doesn't physically have a gender.

(the following post will have a bunch of censored words used in an appropriate fashion so please quote it if you want to actually read it because I'm too lazy to avoid the filter)

In general, yes, people have a physical *, being either male or female, determined by their genetics (and I say in general because there are birth defects and such but I won't get into that). However, gender refers to the mental, uh, state I guess, of your identity. For most people, their gender = their *. However, for some, this is not the case.

The general term for this is transgender. Trans-, as used in transportation, transition, etc. means "Across, through, over, beyond, to or on the other side of, outside of" (according to Wiktionary) and in general represents that which has changed. Someone who is transgender is someone who has changed their gender identity to not be the same as their physical *.

What you're referring to has generally been referred to at least in the past as transsexual, when someone has their physical * changed to match their gender. However, it's become common to just refer to these people as transgender and even sometimes refer to people who do not desire * reassignment surgery as transsexual. Everyone's different.

What the OP may be referring to is another type of transgender, genderqueer, or possibly androgyny. Both refer to gender identities outside of the gender binary and therefore aren't on the current Scratch gender drop-down.

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Why should it be "rather not say" if people do want to say, and be proud of who they are? If anything, there should be both those options.

And why don't you care about it, and why post if you don't?

[I should really stop making short essay-length posts]

#43 2013-04-25 04:49:59

scimonster
Community Moderator

veggieman wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

Why post for the sake of argument?

And it seems to me this topic has gone from simply asking why you have to give your gender when signing up to requesting it (which is a reasonable shift) to actually discussing in detail what defines something outside of the gender binary.

#44 2013-04-25 05:06:42

veggieman
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

veggieman wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

because I wanted to see his position & knowledge on the matter since he made it unclear

#45 2013-04-25 09:37:11

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

scimonster wrote:

veggieman wrote:

because I wanted to see his position & knowledge on the matter since he made it unclear

@Skyline, that would be discrimination.

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#46 2013-04-25 14:07:17

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Why should it be "rather not say" if people do want to say, and be proud of who they are? If anything, there should be both those options.

Do you realize there would have to be 500 different options if you didn't want to offend someone in some far away country because you didn't have they're gender option. Also, those genders won't be used in statistics and nobody will see them so it's really quite pointless. Just choose male or female, or if you don't feel like it choose "I'd rather not say". Anything else would be overkill in my opinion.

I don't care about it for the same reason I don't care about many things. Because I don't care. But, I might as well get an opinion in if there could be a change to the scratch website.

Last edited by CheeseMunchy (2013-04-25 14:08:11)

#47 2013-04-25 18:49:49

veggieman
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

veggieman wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Do you realize there would have to be 500 different options if you didn't want to offend someone in some far away country because you didn't have they're gender option. Also, those genders won't be used in statistics and nobody will see them so it's really quite pointless. Just choose male or female, or if you don't feel like it choose "I'd rather not say". Anything else would be overkill in my opinion.

I think having Male, Female, Other, and I'd rather not say would be reasonable, though, because it is all-inclusive.

#48 2013-04-25 19:42:34

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

veggieman wrote:

I think having Male, Female, Other, and I'd rather not say would be reasonable, though, because it is all-inclusive.

Not a bad idea.

#49 2013-04-28 08:48:20

cwstudios_01
New Scratcher

Exactly!

NoxSpooth wrote:

Whoa, calm down. It's just a gender selection. Only the Scratch Team sees it, so it's not that bad.

#50 2013-04-29 20:18:18

ROSMan
Scratcher

In my opinion, it should just be Male or Female but make it optional. If you don't actually want to even answer that question, and since it's only for statistical purposes, it'd be fine to do that. There could even just be a little blip saying "this choice is used only for development/statistical purposes". I dunno. Just thought I'd put that out there.

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Board footer