This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#151 2013-04-17 23:56:18

Sellout
Scratcher

Re: The (New!) Writing Official Topic

I wasn't trying to prove a point with the blah blah historical context garbage there, I just took

zubblewu wrote:

i don't know about you, but i'd want to know the historical context behind a book if it was significant

That as an invitation to share my opinion! :'(

(+Of course you can have a medal bby)

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#152 2013-04-17 23:56:51

veggieman001
Scratcher

honestly i preferred reading animal farm first without knowing the symbolism and then understanding it when rereading later once i knew about the russian revolution and such

#153 2013-04-18 07:18:46

ROSMan
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

I wasn't trying to prove a point with the blah blah historical context garbage there, I just took

zubblewu wrote:

i don't know about you, but i'd want to know the historical context behind a book if it was significant

That as an invitation to share my opinion! :'(

(+Of course you can have a medal bby)

people, please! zubblewu was just sharing a 'fun fact' ( tongue ) and that's all right! does it really matter that much whether or not he said it?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

#154 2013-04-22 16:12:37

Sellout
Scratcher

Anyway here's a really short thing I wrote ! I don't remember what inspired it but I like it moderately anyway
---
The girl of around twelve years was sitting, hands at her waist and elbows pointed backward, squatting on the floor.

“Ellie, dear,” A tall, well-dressed woman with dark, short hair said, gloomily walking into the parlor. “I told you, you are /not/ a bird.”

“Mommy, dear,” The girl said, remaining stark in her position. “I told you, I am /not/ a person.”

The woman sighed and picked her daughter off the ground (She struggled very much, being rather thin and scrawny). She carried her to the sofa and sat her down, then sat next to her. She crossed her legs neatly and placer her hands on her knee, looking calmly at her daughter.

“Your aunt and cousins are visiting.” She sighed. “I’m going to need you to-“

“Caw.” The girl said, defiantly sticking her nose (Beak?) up in the air. “Caw caw caw.”

“Eleanor, I’m being serious.”

“Margaret, so am I.”

“Eleanor, I am your mother! Don’t call me Margaret.”

“Caw caw,” She said, “Margaret.”

#155 2013-04-22 16:39:46

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

i think you stole that from writegirl

goodby scrat on pont fore

#156 2013-04-23 13:39:11

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

i found an absurdist poem i wrote a little while ago
it could do with a little cleaning up (rhyming and syllables mostly) but itll do for now

"Oh lady, I bid thee,
to give a starving man
some food?" Said the captain
to the fishwife

And the fishwife laughed
And she patted her stomach
"Oh poor sailor standing here,
"It is pratically my duty!
"Now come, tell me of your crew!"

The captain frowned,
and told his sorry tale,
and the fishwife wept,
as she brought the captain in.

And as she brought the captain in,
He saw her husband's sister and said
"God save our miracles!"
And tucked in.

And the fishwife cried
for, just like her husband-
his sister was a fish!

#157 2013-04-23 18:42:21

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

zubblewu wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

I think it would make a great long novel! Where the MC tries to overthrow the ruler, bring back the books, etc. Maybe he founds a secret society called "Believers in Books" or something, where they help him.
Anyway, this would be an awesome full length book! Maybe a mystery about K's true identity and such.

have you even read any of the books he listed?

I've read Animal Farm, but not 1984, even though it's by the same author.

Well, exactly what you described happens in some form in 1984, though maybe a nit more complicated  wink

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#158 2013-04-23 18:45:19

Waffle27
Scratcher

What I said or what Nomo's idea was? Cuz I've never read 1984 either, I just came up with that on the spot,

#159 2013-04-23 18:46:50

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

What I said or what Nomo's idea was? Cuz I've never read 1984 either, I just came up with that on the spot,

Oh yeah, what you said.

But it's quite a bit more involved. It's not as simple as "believers in books" and "trying to bring books back".

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#160 2013-04-23 18:49:41

Waffle27
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

Oh yeah, what you said.

But it's quite a bit more involved. It's not as simple as "believers in books" and "trying to bring books back".

Well I did come up with it in like, 2 seconds, lol. The author probably took two MONTHS on the idea!

#161 2013-04-23 19:58:58

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

Oh yeah, what you said.

Well I did come up with it in like, 2 seconds, lol. The author probably took two MONTHS on the idea!

wow 2 whole months

months whole 2

wow

#162 2013-04-23 20:28:57

Waffle27
Scratcher

Yup. It takes a long time to develop a clear, organized idea. At least it does for me. It takes a long time!
Most of my ideas come from dreams what about you guys?

#163 2013-04-24 02:48:07

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

other books

#164 2013-04-30 21:20:59

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Yup. It takes a long time to develop a clear, organized idea. At least it does for me. It takes a long time!

I can't tell if you are returning my sarcasm or didn't realize I was joking about how "long" 2 months is.

Anyway, I rarely remember my dreams and I don't see that as any good way to make plots at all! Twilight came from a dream, the horrors!

I get a lot of inspiration from watching movies/tv shows, and reading books. The story will be focusing on one thing but there will be a small comment by a character or something and I'll start thinking about that being a story.

Other times it just comes from information I learned or something.

#165 2013-04-30 21:32:06

luiysia
Scratcher

twilight earned stephanie meyer millions and millions of dollars and if that's not a success story well then I don't know what is

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#166 2013-04-30 21:32:10

Sellout
Scratcher

I have a strange mind that sentences and pictures flow in and out of. If, by chance, I manage to catch one of these thoughts I'll save it as a .txt in my series of "ideas" folders. Most are a fragment that doesn't make much sense at all or describes a surrealistic picture. For example, one is "soccer, but with 20-sided die," and another is "don't ever let yourself believe you love someone when you don't even know their middle name." I also save my dreams/daydreams in subfolders in there.

I'll look back on some later and get inspired possibly, though by then I'd've forgotten what it was supposed to mean in the first place

Last edited by Sellout (2013-04-30 21:33:20)

#167 2013-04-30 21:35:40

luiysia
Scratcher

oh soren bowie does that too

sorenbowie.tumblr.com wrote:

Two things you should know about me:

1) I write myself short-hand messages constantly about ideas for sketches, columns, things I like. Then I stuff those sticky notes, napkins, receipts in my pants pockets and immediately forget them because now they’re written down. In that respect, my pockets are like auxiliary storage for my brain.

2) I never wash my pants.

As a result, I will find cryptic notes in my pockets constantly and have no idea what any of them mean. See, I don’t actually know how to write short hand so I really just end up with confusing sentence fragments that look less like messages meant to remind myself of anything and more like clumsy notes my pants have written me. Here are some of my favorite letters I’ve ever gotten from my unwashed pants:

“Start with the teeth, they’re the weakest.”

“Convince retailers of pregnancy, w/o a whisper.”

“Bad veins among savages.”

“Pictures of things I’m not talking about.”

“You start your own bank.”

“Space Cancer - disease or adventure?”

Thanks pants, you’re absolutely right.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#168 2013-04-30 22:14:02

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

I have a strange mind that sentences and pictures flow in and out of. If, by chance, I manage to catch one of these thoughts I'll save it as a .txt in my series of "ideas" folders. Most are a fragment that doesn't make much sense at all or describes a surrealistic picture. For example, one is "soccer, but with 20-sided die," and another is "don't ever let yourself believe you love someone when you don't even know their middle name." I also save my dreams/daydreams in subfolders in there.

I'll look back on some later and get inspired possibly, though by then I'd've forgotten what it was supposed to mean in the first place

I only do shorthand notes with things for school.

For writing I feel like writing down every idea I have immediately unfilters my ideas. Good ones are the ones I fight to keep in my brain, and end up staying there.

#169 2013-04-30 23:39:37

Waffle27
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

I can't tell if you are returning my sarcasm or didn't realize I was joking about how "long" 2 months is.

Anyway, I rarely remember my dreams and I don't see that as any good way to make plots at all! Twilight came from a dream, the horrors!

I get a lot of inspiration from watching movies/tv shows, and reading books. The story will be focusing on one thing but there will be a small comment by a character or something and I'll start thinking about that being a story.

Other times it just comes from information I learned or something.

Oh  tongue 
Its hard to tell on computer and before you rant on about how obvious it should be, I'm stupid okay. Deal with it. Sorry if thats rude but I'm tired of you being mean to me just cause I'm not as smart as you guys. For all you know, i'm probably yunger then you anyway!

Yes, but Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde came from a dream. Most of my good ideas come from dreams (as I might have mentioned LOL) Like Hybrids (in my stuff :3), Inkyhoes (invisible creatures who are in danger of being found out by the world!) and so much more.

Yeah, I get my ideas that way too sometimes  smile

#170 2013-05-01 10:49:04

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Twilight came from a dream, the horrors!

im pretty sure most of dicken's work did too

#171 2013-05-01 10:59:46

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

genderdysmorphia wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Twilight came from a dream, the horrors!

im pretty sure most of dicken's work did too

so did Frankenstein

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#172 2013-05-01 17:58:14

Waffle27
Scratcher

So i'm not too crazy/bad at coming up with ideas after all!  big_smile

#173 2013-05-01 23:39:57

Waffle27
Scratcher

The Message Chapter One
  A soft, fluttering breeze interrupted the warm summer day. It mischeviously rolled and tumbled, batting at feathers and bits of trash, littering the streets. Dezi could almost picture it as a tiny kitten, discovering the outside world for the very first time.
    Finally, it reached her, and clawed playfully at er hair, hissing quietly, yet teasingly. Giggling she spun around. She could hear them whispering, the people down the streets. They called her crazy as she played with the wind, talked to it, encouraged it. Most of the time, she ignored them. But today she sat down, listening to thier complaints.
    "I'm sorry," she whispered, both to the wind and the people. "I will not play today."
     The wind shouted loudly, picking up speed and tossing her hair. She grumbled and batted it away, shooting a sideways glance at the groaning neighbors. "Nobody wants a crazy girl on thier street," she heard one say. Another shook his head: "I'm afraid we're stuck with her."
    So Dezi cried, as she always did. Usually, she waited for thier glaring faces to disapear behind solid wood doors, or red satin curtains. Today, she pretended that they weren't watching, weren't judging her, the Wind Girl.
    "Come and play, Wind Girl," the breeze whispered, next to her ear. "We have a present, one you would want to see."
    "I don't want any more stupid Pringle cans." Dezi said, whimpering into her hands. "Leave me alone today. Please."
   "It's not a Shingle Can." The breeze often had difficulty pronouncing human words, at least it did in her mind. Some said that it pronouced them just fine.
     "What is it then?"
    The wind seemed to smile, its playful kitten personality returning. "A message."

AM I improving, just a little bit?

#174 2013-05-02 07:59:27

soupoftomato
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

twilight earned stephanie meyer millions and millions of dollars and if that's not a success story well then I don't know what is

I totally wasn't joking  wink

#175 2013-05-02 13:29:52

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

wow soup ur so smart

Board footer