This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-30 11:04:19

shivadas
Scratcher

Are you supposed to report these projects?

I have been seeing a lot of projects that are exact copies of other projects, with no mention of the original creator other than the remix box that appears below their username. Are you supposed to report them?

Please check out my latest project, Hunger Avenger!

#2 2013-03-30 11:14:00

LeDerpy123
Scratcher

Re: Are you supposed to report these projects?

I guess, if there is no credit given and no changes whatsoever. What's an example?

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_files/downloadthumbs/logo_mixxx.png

#3 2013-03-30 12:07:42

Lightningstep36
Scratcher

Yeah, I think you should report those for plagiarism. I see projects like that all the time, but never think to report them for some reason.  hmm

A point similar to this, recently I saw a project that said, "Free music for your games, but you must credit me for them." The only music on the project were the examples that come with Scratch.

#4 2013-03-30 12:29:49

joshuaho
Scratcher

shivadas wrote:

I have been seeing a lot of projects that are exact copies of other projects, with no mention of the original creator other than the remix box that appears below their username. Are you supposed to report them?

Yes. But remember, you have to first check to see if it is a exact copy. Otherwise, this may happen:

Hi -----, we took a look at the project you flagged as a copy but found some script changes made, which would qualify the project as a remix and not as a copy. We encourage remixing in the Scratch community, since we have seen how remixing can lead to creative, interesting projects. The website includes a "Based on..." link to give credit to the original author -- and we hope that remixers will also give credit in their Project Notes. Overall, we want the Scratch community to be full of creative activity and exciting projects, and remixing helps with that.

If it is actually a remix, you might get this message. So you have to take extra caution. If you do the same thing again after the first admin message, you could get a ban(account block).

Last edited by joshuaho (2013-03-30 16:49:36)

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#5 2013-03-30 14:10:29

shivadas
Scratcher

joshuaho wrote:

shivadas wrote:

Yes. But remember, you have to first check to see if it is a exact copy. Otherwise, this may happen:

Hi -----, we took a look at the project you flagged as a copy but found some script changes made, which would qualify the project as a remix and not as a copy. We encourage remixing in the Scratch community, since we have seen how remixing can lead to creative, interesting projects. The website includes a "Based on..." link to give credit to the original author -- and we hope that remixers will also give credit in their Project Notes. Overall, we want the Scratch community to be full of creative activity and exciting projects, and remixing helps with that.

If it is actually a remix, you might get this message. So you have to take extra caution. If you do the same thing again after the first admin message, you could get a ban(account block).

Okay thank you, if I do decide to report something I'll be extra careful  smile

Please check out my latest project, Hunger Avenger!

#6 2013-03-30 16:50:03

joshuaho
Scratcher

shivadas wrote:

Okay thank you, if I do decide to report something I'll be extra careful  smile

You are welcome!  wink

#7 2013-04-02 00:05:36

Rumanti
Scratcher

Yes, it's included in Scratch FAQs. This kind of projects are like remixes. but when you see them, the project are EXACTLY the same like you make. Just flag it. But link to the right project to proof that they are copies.

Scratch Transition Team
Helps you survive the  BING BANG! (big bang)

#8 2013-04-12 21:47:54

cobraguy
Scratcher

Well, if it's an EXACT copy then yes. If it has a few things changed and no credit, then ask for the poster to give credit to the original creator. If they don't, then flag it.

Fruit Fighter, when your food eats you.
http://i.imgur.com/8CR6Lnj.png?1

#9 2013-04-12 22:02:58

joshuaho
Scratcher

Rumanti wrote:

Yes, it's included in Scratch FAQs. This kind of projects are like remixes. but when you see them, the project are EXACTLY the same like you make. Just flag it. But link to the right project to proof that they are copies.

But you really need to look out, some changes may be so small that you can't see them at a glance. If you reported a project that was changed, but it looked like a copy, this may happen:

An admin message!

And if you still do the same thing... BANNED!

Last edited by joshuaho (2013-04-12 22:03:30)

#10 2013-04-12 22:11:07

Firedrake969
Scratcher

joshuaho wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

But you really need to look out, some changes may be so small that you can't see them at a glance. If you reported a project that was changed, but it looked like a copy, this may happen:

An admin message!

Actually, they still need to give credit.

And that's an automatic message.  Banned means they look in manually.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#11 2013-04-12 22:31:00

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

Yes, they drive me crazy.

I ask if they copied it first, and I will see if they did myself

Then I flag

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#12 2013-04-13 04:01:37

Rumanti
Scratcher

joshuaho wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

An admin message!

I've never flag that projects before. A person remixed my project, then she uploaded it whith exactly the same notes and ALL OF IT. I didn't flag it, though. I just asked "did you made any changes? I don't see any." Then, I found she deleted the project. Rather confusing, I say.

Scratch Transition Team
Helps you survive the  BING BANG! (big bang)

#13 2013-04-13 09:02:52

ProgrammingPro01
Scratcher

If it's an exact copy, yes, report it.
But if it h some changes to it, it's a legit remix.

Bye 1.4!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sobbing.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

Board footer