This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-25 14:24:58

nigeldodd
New Scratcher

reliance on Adobe Flash

I have just got a Raspberry Pi (for my 6 year old son, of course) which uses an Arm chip. Adobe have said they are not intending to develop Flash for the Arm chip (and Linux as well, actually)

We have got Scratch version 1 running on the Raspberry Pi but the version 2 beta looks to be the way ahead. The online Scratch system seems to use Flash, not html5. It would therefore seem to be excluding itself from Arm chips and possibly Linux in the future.

I hope somebody will reply telling me I am wrong

#2 2013-03-29 03:25:23

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

Re: reliance on Adobe Flash

The RPi is pushing the boundaries to run Scratch 1.4 at a decent speed but its getting better all the time (a few bugs have been removed) and its quite viable for simple programs   smile

The real advantage of using Scratch on an RPi vs big computer is the ability of Scratch to interface to the real world through low-cost/non-propriety add ons.

For actual programming - then use a big computer running Scratch 2.0 (If you like cloud working) or Scratch 1.4 if you prefer to work offline.

IMO Scratch 2.0 is not going to be available offline on any platform in the near future

Board footer