This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-03-25 20:55:38

firewolves360
Scratcher

Re: Harry Potter V.S. Twilight

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

Oh, also, please give good reasons for your opinion. "Hot Guys" do not make something good, and sparkling vampires are not original. They're stupid.

This emphasizes your bias. Please provide at least two things from Harry Potter as well that are "stupid" and not "original" to make things fair.

I can't really think of much I didn't like about HP. The worst parts were probably all of the deaths... especially Harry's death.

#27 2013-03-25 21:01:49

veggieman001
Scratcher

PonyoPenguin wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

Oh, also, please give good reasons for your opinion. "Hot Guys" do not make something good, and sparkling vampires are not original. They're stupid.

This emphasizes your bias. Please provide at least two things from Harry Potter as well that are "stupid" and not "original" to make things fair.

But Twilight is a stupid series, and those are seriously the only two responses you get from anyone who likes the series (most of which are 13 year old girls). Harry Potter doesn't have anything "stupid" nor not "original" and has a wide audience.

You can't just say one is stupid and one isn't and expect to have anything to talk about in the topic. Making blanket generalisations about people who like Twilight and saying that Harry Potter is perfect and completely original doesn't help, either.

#28 2013-03-25 21:05:07

firewolves360
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

But Twilight is a stupid series, and those are seriously the only two responses you get from anyone who likes the series (most of which are 13 year old girls). Harry Potter doesn't have anything "stupid" nor not "original" and has a wide audience.

You can't just say one is stupid and one isn't and expect to have anything to talk about in the topic. Making blanket generalisations about people who like Twilight and saying that Harry Potter is perfect and completely original doesn't help, either.

I am not generalizing. I actually tried reading the first Twilight book, and I have done lots of research on this topic. You get many Twilight fans whose only reason that the books are good are the hot guys. I take it you like Twilight.

#29 2013-03-25 21:11:49

veggieman001
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

I am not generalizing. I actually tried reading the first Twilight book, and I have done lots of research on this topic. You get many Twilight fans whose only reason that the books are good are the hot guys. I take it you like Twilight.

May I please see a few reliable sources that confirm this research?

And I've not actually read or seen Twilight, and I quite enjoy Harry Potter.

#30 2013-03-25 21:18:21

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Harry Potter hands down to me.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#31 2013-03-25 21:20:07

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

I do not believe in judging books based upon subject matter (see my sig). Por eso, I have no preference.
(reference note: should my sig not appear to have any connections with the above sentence, assume the sig I was referring to was a previously-used sig that read "I think all books should be banned". The sig can be found here.)

Last edited by dontbombiraq (2013-03-25 21:49:06)

http://i39.tinypic.com/259j2mu.png

#32 2013-03-25 21:35:23

firewolves360
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Watch the youtube videos by lauralispink on twilight vs harry potter, or google twilight is better than harry potter.

#33 2013-03-25 21:39:34

veggieman001
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

Watch the youtube videos by lauralispink on twilight vs harry potter, or google twilight is better than harry potter.

I can't find either of those. Do you have anything like a leading newspaper or magazine, a university website, or something of the like to back up your claims? Even just a URL to something?

#34 2013-03-25 21:45:42

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

I can't find either of those. Do you have anything like a leading newspaper or magazine, a university website, or something of the like to back up your claims? Even just a URL to something?

go easy on him/her, veggie!
They just don't like the books and are making up stuff to try to get you to agree, because despite the lack of evidence, they are convinced that the books are terrible and childish and that no-one in their right mind would defend them, even if the attack used fallacious logic (huge run-on I know).
I'm also guessing you assumed this and are calling their bluff

http://i39.tinypic.com/259j2mu.png

#35 2013-03-25 21:47:41

fivehead
Scratcher

Harry Potter.

Goodbye 1.4  sad
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc7sst6hKv1rghkxeo1_500.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctyxwHfGI1rghkxeo6_250.gif

#36 2013-03-25 21:53:12

soupoftomato
Scratcher

PonyoPenguin wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

Nothing not original?

Dude, I love Harry Potter, but are you out of your mind?
Unicorns, Centaurs, fortune tellers, wizards, greybearded wise wizards, evil dark lords, the Hero's Journey, the three friends, the basilisk, Merlin, Nicolas Flamel, gryffins, etc, etc, etc.

And come on, some parts have to be a little stupid. Snape is the most abusive, obnoxious, evil teacher I've heard of next to Umbridge, but get creepily obsessed with and stalk ONE girl and you're just all right with Harry.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#37 2013-03-25 22:30:02

banana500
Scratcher

Guys guys here's my consensus:

Twilight is just another book series. It's enjoyed by girls of whatever age, usually 13 and up, so, whatever. Why should we have to judge them or hate them or generalize them on their interests and likes? They can enjoy whatever they want, you don't have to put them down for it, just leave them alone. And if you don't like it, fine! You don't like it! But understand that other people do.

Harry Potter is also another book series. It's enjoyed by people of all ages in all genders. And keep in mind there are some people who don't like it, and prefer Twilight. That's okay! No need to bash them for their opinion.

Plus like I said before the two series are wildly different. Twilight is about vampires living among our society. Okay, cool. Harry Potter is about wizards who live among our society but also have their own. Harry Potter is vastly different. It's about a boy wizard who goes to a magical school and stuff happens! Twilight is about a regular girl who falls in love with a vampire boy and then stuff happens!

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with Twilight. I don't like it but I don't hate it either. I've never read it so I seriously have no justification on the matter that Harry Potter is better.

So there!

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#38 2013-03-25 22:33:33

soupoftomato
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

Twilight is just another book series. It's enjoyed by girls of whatever age, usually 13 and up, so, whatever. Why should we have to judge them or hate them or generalize them on their interests and likes? They can enjoy whatever they want, you don't have to put them down for it, just leave them alone. And if you don't like it, fine! You don't like it! But understand that other people do.

Harry Potter is also another book series. It's enjoyed by people of all ages in all genders. And keep in mind there are some people who don't like it, and prefer Twilight. That's okay! No need to bash them for their opinion.

Plus like I said before the two series are wildly different. Twilight is about vampires living among our society. Okay, cool. Harry Potter is about wizards who live among our society but also have their own. Harry Potter is vastly different. It's about a boy wizard who goes to a magical school and stuff happens! Twilight is about a regular girl who falls in love with a vampire boy and then stuff happens!

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with Twilight. I don't like it but I don't hate it either. I've never read it so I seriously have no justification on the matter that Harry Potter is better.

So there!

Hm yes I agree with this but that was ridiculously long-winded for the sentiment.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#39 2013-03-25 22:37:35

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

So there!

Hm yes I agree with this but that was ridiculously long-winded for the sentiment.

Whenever I want to make an important point they usually end up being quite long, even in real life. :P

'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#40 2013-03-25 23:05:28

cartooncreator
Scratcher

Harry Potter all the way.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#41 2013-03-26 07:25:08

777w
Scratcher

who says you cant like both anyway

#42 2013-03-26 11:50:51

witchartix
Scratcher

777w wrote:

True, but I think we're discussing which is better.

Choo! Choo! All aboard the Moron Express!

#43 2013-03-26 15:57:52

777w
Scratcher

witchartix wrote:

777w wrote:

True, but I think we're discussing which is better.

but the op is referring to "twilight fans" and "harry potter fans" implying separation and theyre not even the same genre anyway!

#44 2013-03-26 16:12:47

veggieman001
Scratcher

777w wrote:

My maternal grandmother likes both!

#45 2013-03-26 16:41:52

ROSMan
Scratcher

Put "harry potter" then "twilight" in.

Not saying this is necessarily true, it's just fun to do.

Anyway, I like Harry Potter way more, but I suppose you can like what you like.

Last edited by ROSMan (2013-03-26 16:43:21)

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

#46 2013-03-26 19:18:52

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

I do not believe in judging books based upon subject matter

Then how the HECK do you judge them?
By their artwork?

Anyway, I prefer Harry Potter by a few million times over.

There are too many things that aren't explained (from what I've heard) and the idea that a 180 year old guy would be interested in an underage (challenged?) girl is kinda creepy.

Also, apparently Jacob chooses to fall in love with a girl that will always be 17 years old.

My sister refuses to give me a clear answer on THAT.

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#47 2013-03-26 20:41:25

soupoftomato
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

So there!

Whenever I want to make an important point they usually end up being quite long, even in real life.  tongue

The thing I quoted, looking back, reads like a very brief on-demand writing piece without a thesis.

I mean, you told us that Harry Potter and Twilight were books.

#48 2013-03-26 20:42:46

soupoftomato
Scratcher

mythbusteranimator wrote:

dontbombiraq wrote:

I do not believe in judging books based upon subject matter

Then how the HECK do you judge them?
By their artwork?

Anyway, I prefer Harry Potter by a few million times over.

There are too many things that aren't explained (from what I've heard) and the idea that a 180 year old guy would be interested in an underage (challenged?) girl is kinda creepy.

Also, apparently Jacob chooses to fall in love with a girl that will always be 17 years old.

My sister refuses to give me a clear answer on THAT.

The creepiest part was him "imprinting" (falling in creepily obsessive love with) a baby.

#49 2013-03-26 20:48:47

banana500
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

banana500 wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Whenever I want to make an important point they usually end up being quite long, even in real life. :P

The thing I quoted, looking back, reads like a very brief on-demand writing piece without a thesis.

I mean, you told us that Harry Potter and Twilight were books.

I was saying that they're just books and that certain groups of people prefer one over the other, and that maybe people should stop debating over such a trivial matter.

'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#50 2013-03-26 21:52:40

HotCocoa28
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

Technically no matter how stupid sparkling vampires are, it is original. Had you heard of it before Twilight's existance?

"I just had a staring contest with a wall!"

Board footer