This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-25 13:15:23

firewolves360
Scratcher

Harry Potter V.S. Twilight

So, I know there is a war going on between the two fandoms and I wanted to make a forum about it! State the reasons you think one is better than the other!
P.S. I'm a Potterhead, if you couldn't tell due to the lack of grammatical errors.

#2 2013-03-25 13:19:18

werdna123
Scratcher

Re: Harry Potter V.S. Twilight

i think they are both good books intended for different audiences.

#3 2013-03-25 13:19:48

777w
Scratcher

harry potter and twilight are really arbitrary things to try and compare imo

#4 2013-03-25 13:21:15

firewolves360
Scratcher

Oh, also, please give good reasons for your opinion. "Hot Guys" do not make something good, and sparkling vampires are not original. They're stupid.

#5 2013-03-25 13:28:08

haxcharsol
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

So, I know there is a war going on between the two fandoms and I wanted to make a forum about it! State the reasons you think one is better than the other!
P.S. I'm a Potterhead, if you couldn't tell due to the lack of grammatical errors.

What does being a Harry Potter fan have to do with grammatical errors?

And Harry Potter.

Goodbye 1.4.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#6 2013-03-25 13:28:18

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

Oh, also, please give good reasons for your opinion. "Hot Guys" do not make something good, and sparkling vampires are not original. They're stupid.

Dracula must be ashamed.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/BLU_Spy/Best-Cry-Ever_zps3b2b857a.gif Goodbye, 1.4... We'll miss you...

#7 2013-03-25 13:36:49

777w
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

please give good reasons for your opinion on sparkling vampires

#8 2013-03-25 13:41:18

soniku3
Scratcher

harry potter. duh.

internet's all about cats today.

#9 2013-03-25 13:42:07

firewolves360
Scratcher

haxcharsol wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

And Harry Potter.

Well, apparently if you look at most of the things on this topic, things written by Twilight fans seem to have more grammatical errors.

#10 2013-03-25 13:43:15

777w
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

haxcharsol wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

And Harry Potter.

Well, apparently if you look at most of the things on this topic, things written by Twilight fans seem to have more grammatical errors.

if youre referring to me then id like you to know that ive never read or seen any of the twilight or harry potter books or movies ;)

#11 2013-03-25 13:45:32

firewolves360
Scratcher

777w wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

My reason is that sparkling is something a young girl dreams of doing. Vampires are supposed to be dangerous and evil. Oh, and I'm not referring to you at all.

#12 2013-03-25 13:49:32

777w
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

777w wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

My reason is that sparkling is something a young girl dreams of doing. Vampires are supposed to be dangerous and evil. Oh, and I'm not referring to you at all.

the only real requirement for a 'vampire' is that it lives off blood. other than that you can play with the concept however you want. also, your fandoms do not affect your spelling and grammatical abilities, ive seen people who are into harry potter who write atrociously and people who are into harry potter who follow all standard grammar rules

#13 2013-03-25 14:10:11

jukyter
Scratcher

okay, so personally i prefer harry potter, and im not gonna say that theyre both good, just targeted towards different audiences, because twilight has a seriously harmful view of romance/love (also even without those elements--which is hard as theyre an integral part of the plot--it's so tedious--and yes, that is an informed decision, having watched and read the first installment
also ive been looking for an instance on my tumblr but i cant find it so whatevs

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#14 2013-03-25 14:18:56

werdna123
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

okay, so personally i prefer harry potter, and im not gonna say that theyre both good, just targeted towards different audiences, because twilight has a seriously harmful view of romance/love (also even without those elements--which is hard as theyre an integral part of the plot--it's so tedious--and yes, that is an informed decision, having watched and read the first installment
also ive been looking for an instance on my tumblr but i cant find it so whatevs

yes because people who go into the fiction section of a bookshop are going to read a book in it and think "oh i should go find a vampire boyfriend lol because the book says so", no. they are going to think, "oh that was a nice book, now i'll get on with my life.

you're exaggerating things, juky, fictional stories have little to no impact on people's love life and expectations.

Last edited by werdna123 (2013-03-25 14:20:15)

#15 2013-03-25 14:33:27

pikachu1337
Scratcher

777w wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

Vampires sparkling is a perfect excuse for them being Gary/Mary Stu/Sue-s, rather than having AN ACTUAL WEAKNESS OH NOOOO

http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/24779.png Help my city grow!
Welp.  Obama was elected.  Country's doomed.  Abandon ship?

#16 2013-03-25 16:38:04

jukyter
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

jukyter wrote:

yes because people who go into the fiction section of a bookshop are going to read a book in it and think "oh i should go find a vampire boyfriend lol because the book says so", no. they are going to think, "oh that was a nice book, now i'll get on with my life.

you're exaggerating things, juky, fictional stories have little to no impact on people's love life and expectations.

that's not what im saying
theyre not going to want a vampire boyfriend but they are going to want a boyfriend who stalks them--except they wont call it stalking, they'll call breaking into their houses and watching them sleep love
honestly i cant pursue my main point here as it's probably gonna be censored, but twilight is violently misogynistic:

"   I walked into the gym, lightheaded and wobbly. I drifted to the locker room, changing in a trancelike state, only vaguely aware that there were other people surrounding me. Reality didn’t fully set in until I was handed a racket. It wasn’t heavy, yet it felt very unsafe in my hand. I could see a few of the other kids in class eyeing me furtively. Coach Clapp ordered us to pair up into teams.
   Mercifully, some vestiges of Mike’s chivalry still survived; he came to stand beside me.
   “Do you want to be a team?”
   “Thanks, Mike — you don’t have to do this, you know.” I grimaced apologetically.
   “Don’t worry, I’ll keep out of your way.” He grinned. Sometimes it was so easy to like Mike. "

mike tried to make her change her plans so bella could go to the dance with him but she never agreed to go to the dance with him, mike--well, let's not say what he did to her when she felt faint, mike blamed her for being ill and did that instead of fetching a nurse, mike invited her to a group outing, and spent it making her uncomfortable, mike who declined going out with her friend so he could ask bella out--after already asking her out recently
and this teaches girls to like it when people do that

and then guess what??

"   “So,” he said as we walked off the court.
   “So what?”
   “You and Cullen, huh?” he asked, his tone rebellious. My previous feeling of affection disappeared.
   “That’s none of your business, Mike,” I warned, internally cursing Jessica straight to the fiery pits of Hades.
   “I don’t like it,” he muttered anyway.
   “You don’t have to,” I snapped.
   “He looks at you like . . . like you’re something to eat,” he continued, ignoring me.
   I choked back the hysteria that threatened to explode, but a small giggle managed to get out despite my efforts. He glowered at me. I waved and fled to the locker room."

as much as i detest edward, mike hardly knows them as a couple-it's not appropriate
what would be appropriate is her father approaching them
as far as i remember the father actually congratulates edward?? or was it jacob, idk

and hey; here's the closing paragraph:

"   Gym passed quickly as I watched Mike’s one-man badminton show. He didn’t speak to me today, either in response to my vacant expression or because he was still angry about our squabble yesterday. Somewhere, in a corner of my mind, I felt bad about that."

she's taking full responsibility for the squabble, she's not shifting the blame onto mike--and it's his fault

but yes, the twilight series does have a massive effect on young women
just look at the many reaction videos
the market she's targeting is at the most impressionable stage of their lives--this is what they'll believe true love is like

#17 2013-03-25 16:48:20

werdna123
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

jukyter wrote:

that's not what im saying
theyre not going to want a vampire boyfriend but they are going to want a boyfriend who stalks them--except they wont call it stalking, they'll call breaking into their houses and watching them sleep love
honestly i cant pursue my main point here as it's probably gonna be censored, but twilight is violently misogynistic:

"   I walked into the gym, lightheaded and wobbly. I drifted to the locker room, changing in a trancelike state, only vaguely aware that there were other people surrounding me. Reality didn’t fully set in until I was handed a racket. It wasn’t heavy, yet it felt very unsafe in my hand. I could see a few of the other kids in class eyeing me furtively. Coach Clapp ordered us to pair up into teams.
   Mercifully, some vestiges of Mike’s chivalry still survived; he came to stand beside me.
   “Do you want to be a team?”
   “Thanks, Mike — you don’t have to do this, you know.” I grimaced apologetically.
   “Don’t worry, I’ll keep out of your way.” He grinned. Sometimes it was so easy to like Mike. "

mike tried to make her change her plans so bella could go to the dance with him but she never agreed to go to the dance with him, mike--well, let's not say what he did to her when she felt faint, mike blamed her for being ill and did that instead of fetching a nurse, mike invited her to a group outing, and spent it making her uncomfortable, mike who declined going out with her friend so he could ask bella out--after already asking her out recently
and this teaches girls to like it when people do that

and then guess what??

"   “So,” he said as we walked off the court.
   “So what?”
   “You and Cullen, huh?” he asked, his tone rebellious. My previous feeling of affection disappeared.
   “That’s none of your business, Mike,” I warned, internally cursing Jessica straight to the fiery pits of Hades.
   “I don’t like it,” he muttered anyway.
   “You don’t have to,” I snapped.
   “He looks at you like . . . like you’re something to eat,” he continued, ignoring me.
   I choked back the hysteria that threatened to explode, but a small giggle managed to get out despite my efforts. He glowered at me. I waved and fled to the locker room."

as much as i detest edward, mike hardly knows them as a couple-it's not appropriate
what would be appropriate is her father approaching them
as far as i remember the father actually congratulates edward?? or was it jacob, idk

and hey; here's the closing paragraph:

"   Gym passed quickly as I watched Mike’s one-man badminton show. He didn’t speak to me today, either in response to my vacant expression or because he was still angry about our squabble yesterday. Somewhere, in a corner of my mind, I felt bad about that."

she's taking full responsibility for the squabble, she's not shifting the blame onto mike--and it's his fault

but yes, the twilight series does have a massive effect on young women
just look at the many reaction videos
the market she's targeting is at the most impressionable stage of their lives--this is what they'll believe true love is like

so what? they should ban twilight books? bring them off the shelf because some idiots get the wrong idea from it. i don't think that's fair on the author, that she misses out on the money from the book simply because of some people's reaction to it. and i mean sure, stephanie meyer has well enough money but say it was some new author who wasn't very financially well off.

#18 2013-03-25 16:52:06

jukyter
Scratcher

i dont know what we should do
ideally they were never published, but fair enough, we may as well ban them to prevent them from doing damage
or we could start distributing leaflets about abusive behaviour with them--and if that author happens to be promoting misogyny boo hoo for them

#19 2013-03-25 16:56:17

PonyPokiPanikku
Scratcher

I like Harry Potter WAY better than Twilight because I haven't even read or seen Twilight but it looks pretty boring. My best friends and I are HP fans.

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/054/0/6/twilight_sparkle_alicorn_vector_by_kamyk962-d5vcvux.pnghttp://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/Bitmob/3%20Bitmob%20Random/Samir/PPAlexKidd.png

#20 2013-03-25 17:04:05

banana500
Scratcher

Honestly I don't like it when people compare the two because they're vastly different.

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#21 2013-03-25 17:06:56

LeDerpy123
Scratcher

Neither. Simply stated.

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_files/downloadthumbs/logo_mixxx.png

#22 2013-03-25 17:52:14

veggieman001
Scratcher

firewolves360 wrote:

This emphasizes your bias. Please provide at least two things from Harry Potter as well that are "stupid" and not "original" to make things fair.

#23 2013-03-25 19:06:21

876tyuh
New Scratcher

Seriosly I don't like either series. I've seen and read them both and I truly didn't like either one of them. That is my opinion. I thought Twilight had a poor diolage and was boring while harry potter was too much fantasy and whatever and didn't appeal to me. That's just my opinion  smile

#24 2013-03-25 20:18:28

qwerts9000
Scratcher

HARRY POTTER

poppet

#25 2013-03-25 20:23:16

PonyoPenguin
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

firewolves360 wrote:

This emphasizes your bias. Please provide at least two things from Harry Potter as well that are "stupid" and not "original" to make things fair.

But Twilight is a stupid series, and those are seriously the only two responses you get from anyone who likes the series (most of which are 13 year old girls). Harry Potter doesn't have anything "stupid" nor not "original" and has a wide audience.

I don't think I need to explain which one I like better, you can tell from above.

http://i.imgur.com/z0zYaqS.png

Board footer