This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-22 10:58:31

ThomasAveling
New Scratcher

Installation Issue due to restricted disk access

Afternoon

We are new to Scratch and are currently trying to rollout a network installation of Scratch to both our staff and students. Our end users are using Windows 7 Enterprise 32 and 64 bit

We have downloaded the MSI file and have deployed it to our machines via group policy. Staff accounts can open Scratch with no issue. However student accounts receive the following error message when they try to open it:

"SQUEAK: Please select an image file"

After reading other topics on this forum, we understand this is where the Scratch executable cannot see the scratch.image file in the root of the Scratch folder. This makes sense as we restrict students from accessing the local hard drive where the Scratch installation is installed to.

Is there anyway that we can configure the application to access the image file without having to lift the restrictions on the hard drive, or can anyone suggest an alternative installation method that might allow us to use Scratch?

#2 2013-03-22 11:48:32

Devloper123
Scratcher

Re: Installation Issue due to restricted disk access

I think there's none.Sorry

http://i45.tinypic.com/2jafczs.gifAnd Dev! Sign up on this forum!i like the  tongue  emoticon

#3 2013-03-22 12:34:41

LS97
Scratcher

It should be fairly easy to grant read (but not write) access to all user groups to that particular image file (or better the entire program directory), which will eliminate not only this but other related issues.

In general, actually, there is no obvious reason to restrict read access to a computer's program files. If you don't have a crucial problem with it, you shouldn't block it in the first place.

#4 2013-03-22 14:30:42

MrFlash67
Scratcher

Try having it installed on the child account. BTW, I'm no network admin, but you should give them access to the Program Files/Applications folders with restricting access the network config and stuff.

Last edited by MrFlash67 (2013-03-22 14:31:01)

Who would win, SOPA or PIPA?

#5 2013-03-22 15:06:45

TRocket
Scratcher

Scratch can just be installed on a network drive... it doesn't need to modify the files.

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

Board footer