This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-18 15:02:49

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

I'm going to say it.

Read the entire post. THE WHOLE THING. Then hate me.

Alrighty here. I'm probably going to regret this, but someone has to say it.

Taking a deep breath. Buckling down. Set phasers to "Dragon Tongue" and diverting all power to forward shields.

Okay. Here is what the Higher Beings What Can Actually Program and thus Created Scratch have spoken:

"Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web."

Art. Art. Hmmm.
That project you posted a while back. The art one that probably had something to do with a cat. Did you create that drawing using scratch? Is it animated, or does it otherwise somehow use scratch to perform something it couldn't otherwise?
If no, it really shouldn't be on the scratch website. If you have cool art that has nothing to do with scratch and does not require scratch (like a static drawing), post it somewhere else, like DeviantArt or something. The scratch website is for sharing things created using scratch, as shown by the above statement of scratch's purpose on what applies to art:

"Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own...art -- and share your creations on the web."

If you post art on the scratch website, it should be created using scratch or somehow require scratch to function. Even if scratch was a place to share static drawings, it would be a pretty poor place for it, given the relatively low number of users and (for drawings, at least) small resolution.

I would also like to add that this is not restricted to art. For example, if I was to start using scratch to blog, that would also be a misuse of scratch. I should blog on BlogSpot or some other place that is more appropriate.

There is a place for most of these things! Just make sure that your ideas belong in scratch before submitting them.

If you disagree, I understand, but think before you post! Please do not waste anyone's time with invalid arguments.

I have spoken.

Last edited by PhantomEXE (2013-03-18 15:07:50)

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/Raxicorocorphallipatorius/RedStar_zps2d733aa2.gif?t=1363645062

#2 2013-03-18 15:07:41

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

Re: I'm going to say it.

Scratch can be used for everything. If someone wants to share art, they can. Don‘t like art projects? Ignore them.

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS! My new username is NoxSpooth.

#3 2013-03-18 15:12:22

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

Scratch can be used for everything. If someone wants to share art, they can. Don‘t like art projects? Ignore them.

Invalid. Just because scratch can be used for everything doesn't mean it should.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/Raxicorocorphallipatorius/RedStar_zps2d733aa2.gif?t=1363645062

#4 2013-03-18 15:22:22

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Invalid. Just because scratch can be used for everything doesn't mean it should.

Ever heard of something called freedom?

Just let they do what they want. It‘s not harming anyone.

#5 2013-03-18 15:27:51

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Invalid. I have heard of freedom. Just because I'm free to do something doesn't mean I should. It's still not a good idea. And I'm not partial to your tone. Try to be more polite.

I'm doing this for the people misusing scratch as much as I am for myself. They will get a lot farther in their art if they use something other than scratch to share it.

Last edited by PhantomEXE (2013-03-18 15:29:57)

#6 2013-03-18 15:31:37

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

Invalid. It's still not a good idea.

I'm doing this for the people misusing scratch as much as I am for myself. They will get a lot farther in their art if they use something other than scratch to share it.

Saying that everything I say is “invalid“ does not work.

Also, there‘s no way to “misuse“ Scratch.

#7 2013-03-18 15:38:29

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this...because we've been over it a number of times before.

The Scratch website is for people to create, learn and share in many ways - not just for programming.  Not to put too fine a point on it...the site is owned and operated by the Scratch Team and offered to the public free of charge.  The Scratch Team, then, gets to decide when it is not being used properly.  We'll let you know when we see it  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#8 2013-03-18 15:41:02

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Invalid. Your arguments are invalid, so it "works" to say so.

The scratch website is not a universal sharing device. If you are using it as such, you are misusing it. I have already shown why this is true. You are making a fool of yourself, and I suggest you use better arguments in your next post to rectify this.

#9 2013-03-18 15:43:32

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this...because we've been over it a number of times before.

The Scratch website is for people to create, learn and share in many ways - not just for programming.  Not to put too fine a point on it...the site is owned and operated by the Scratch Team and offered to the public free of charge.  - The Scratch Team, then, gets to decide when it is not being used properly.  We'll let you know when we see it  smile

If that is true, I would ask that you change the "About" section to make this more clear. According to the current information from the "About" section, the things I have described are a misuse. Please fix this.

#10 2013-03-18 15:45:32

scimonster
Community Moderator

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

The scratch website is not a universal sharing device. If you are using it as such, you are misusing it. I have already shown why this is true. You are making a fool of yourself, and I suggest you use better arguments in your next post to rectify this.

And i suggest that you be a bit politer in your next post.

And Paddle's right (of course). Sharing art does not constitute a misuse of Scratch.

#11 2013-03-18 15:56:12

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

And i suggest that you be a bit politer in your next post.

And Paddle's right (of course). Sharing art does not constitute a misuse of Scratch.

I'm trying to be as polite as I can. I'm sorry if it seems otherwise. The last thing on my mind is offense.

I'm not saying art doesn't belong on scratch. To do so would be ridiculous. I'm simply saying that some things on scratch belong elsewhere. If you would like another example, try cheat codes. I shouldn't post cheat codes on scratch. I should post them on Cheat Code Central or something similar. That way the codes get more views and I don't waste any scratcher's time.

#12 2013-03-18 15:58:50

Nomolos
Scratcher

I like the word "Invalid".  smile

This has been suggested sooo many times before, and I just think you guys should ignore the art projects if you don't like them. Scratch is a great place for artists because they can share their work and get constructive feedback, instead of a different site where you would be shunned for a small mistake.

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#13 2013-03-18 16:02:17

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

Nomolos what is great because he is polite and has a valid argument wrote:

I like the word "Invalid".  smile

This has been suggested sooo many times before, and I just think you guys should ignore the art projects if you don't like them. Scratch is a great place for artists because they can share their work and get constructive feedback, instead of a different site where you would be shunned for a small mistake.

If you aren't shunned for a small mistake on scratch, I don't see why you would be shunned for a small mistake on a dedicated art sharing site.

#14 2013-03-18 16:04:54

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

Saying that I‘m making myself a fool and that everything I say is invalid? That‘s very polite...

And you clearly said in the last posts that using Scratch for art was a misuse.

#15 2013-03-18 16:12:13

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

Saying that I‘m making myself a fool and that everything I say is invalid? That‘s very polite...

I couldn't word it any other way. I'm sorry if you took offense. I figured you ought to know so that you would stop.

I do not mean that using scratch for art is a misuse. I mean that using scratch for static drawings is a misuse. If I said using scratch for art is a misuse, I was referring to static drawings.

I also believe that I made it quite clear in my most recent post aside from this one that I was not saying art does not belong on scratch.

Last edited by PhantomEXE (2013-03-18 16:14:14)

#16 2013-03-18 16:14:44

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

So... You want arguments, don‘t you?  tongue

Here I go.

Scratch isn‘t an universal sharing devoce, right? Well, neither are deviantART and Blogspot.

If sharing art on Scratch is a misuse, since there better softwares, then wouldn‘t programming with Java also be a misuse, because there‘s Flash? Wouldn‘t playing PS2 also be a misuse, since there‘s PS3?

#17 2013-03-18 16:19:02

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

PhantomEXE wrote:

(snip)

I would ask that you change the "About" section to make this more clear. According to the current information from the "About" section, the things I have described are a misuse. Please fix this.

Thanks for your feedback - I'll bring it up with some other team members.  Now's a good time to bring this sort of thing up since the Beta site is under heavy development - if we decide to change it, it will probably be only on the Beta.  We're not eager to spend more development time on the old site, unless it's critical.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#18 2013-03-18 16:19:11

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

I couldn't word it any other way. I'm sorry if you took offense. I figured you ought to know so that you would stop.

I do not mean that using scratch for art is a misuse. I mean that using scratch for static drawings is a misuse. If I said using scratch for art is a misuse, I was referring to static drawings.

I also believe that I made it quite clear in my most recent post aside from this one that I was not saying art does not belong on scratch.

Well, many people agree with you. Many people say that static art doesn‘t belong in Scratch, because it doesn‘t need any programming skills. I guess that‘s what you think too.

But Scratch isn‘t just for programming.

#19 2013-03-18 16:24:58

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

Here I go.

Scratch isn‘t an universal sharing devoce, right? Well, neither are deviantART and Blogspot.

If sharing art on Scratch is a misuse, since there better softwares, then wouldn‘t programming with Java also be a misuse, because there‘s Flash? Wouldn‘t playing PS2 also be a misuse, since there‘s PS3?

I did want arguments. Thank you!

In response:

Just because there is a better place for something doesn't mean that is the only place. This is a valid point.
HOWEVER.
I'm not just arguing that static art shouldn't be on scratch because there are better places for it. I'm also saying that static art doesn't belong on the scratch website because that's not what scratch was made for. See the first post.

#20 2013-03-18 16:27:52

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

(snip)

I would ask that you change the "About" section to make this more clear. According to the current information from the "About" section, the things I have described are a misuse. Please fix this.

Thanks for your feedback - I'll bring it up with some other team members.  Now's a good time to bring this sort of thing up since the Beta site is under heavy development - if we decide to change it, it will probably be only on the Beta.  We're not eager to spend more development time on the old site, unless it's critical.

Okay, cool. Let's say all this applies to the beta website as well from here on in.

#21 2013-03-18 16:30:22

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Here I go.

In response:

Just because there is a better place for something doesn't mean that is the only place. This is a valid point.
HOWEVER.
I'm not just arguing that static art shouldn't be on scratch because there are better places for it. I'm also saying that static art doesn't belong on the scratch website because that's not what scratch was made for. See the first post.

Hm...

I‘ve read it again.

... And I have to agree that the “About“ section is a bit unclear about sharing art.

#22 2013-03-18 16:31:37

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Well, many people agree with you. Many people say that static art doesn‘t belong in Scratch, because it doesn‘t need any programming skills. I guess that‘s what you think too.

But Scratch isn‘t just for programming.

Scratch isn't for programming. It's for creating.

#23 2013-03-18 16:33:51

PhantomEXE
Scratcher

BLU_Spy wrote:

PhantomEXE wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Here I go.

In response:

HOWEVER.

Hm...

I‘ve read it again.

... And I have to agree that the “About“ section is a bit unclear about sharing art.

Anything that uses the word "art" on its own is automatically going to be unclear. It's an incredibly huge term. But I believe that they're clear that you're supposed to post art that you create using scratch.

#24 2013-03-18 16:36:04

shadowmouse
New Scratcher

I agree with you PhantomEXE. I think that there should be much less static art on the site. It clogs it up. And I know that Paddle2See says that scratch isn't just for programming but why would you use scratch for static drawings (animation are programs) if you can use something with is more graphically orientated (such as paint or gimp)? And a slightly different question: Why are the so many drawing competitions? Not to offend anyone but I keep seeing 'draw a mate for' or 'design a new member of the -clan' projects and in my opinion they just get in the way of the programs or animations. I personally think that there should be a seperate part for the site for people who want to post that sort of thing.

#25 2013-03-18 16:44:42

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

shadowmouse wrote:

I agree with you PhantomEXE. I think that there should be much less static art on the site. It clogs it up. And I know that Paddle2See says that scratch isn't just for programming but why would you use scratch for static drawings (animation are programs) if you can use something with is more graphically orientated (such as paint or gimp)? And a slightly different question: Why are the so many drawing competitions? Not to offend anyone but I keep seeing 'draw a mate for' or 'design a new member of the -clan' projects and in my opinion they just get in the way of the programs or animations. I personally think that there should be a seperate part for the site for people who want to post that sort of thing.

No, there shouldn‘t.

Scratch is for everyone, and everything.

You‘re not being forced to like them, though. Ignore projects like that; that‘s what I do.

Board footer