This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-14 14:56:42

kcb_tjb
New Scratcher

RE: Please fix order when bulk (@cheddargirl)

Sorry to open a new thread, but rather frustratingly, my previous thread (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=115609) was closed before I had a chance to respond to @cheddargirl.

I cannot post on the beta forums because they require a log on, and I cannot obtain a log on because it is not allowed. If you could sort that out for me, I'd be very grateful. If not, where am I supposed to report issues with the beta?

Thanks

#2 2013-03-14 23:02:58

kayybee
Scratcher

Re: RE: Please fix order when bulk (@cheddargirl)

I'm not sure... I guess they don't expect people without accounts to be using the beta... If you tell me the bugs I can post them on the forums for you, but I don't think you'll get 2.0 access until the full version. Syncing the 1.4 and 2.0 databases together is really hard, so they probably won't do that until the full release.

#3 2013-03-15 16:48:45

kcb_tjb
New Scratcher

Thanks kayybee.

I guess it seems odd and rather exclusive being able to use the beta but not being able to provide feedback on it. At the very least, there could be a 2.0-specific topic in these forums so late-comers like me can actually contribute.

Here is my current 2.0 beta feedback, garnered from around a month's worth of scratch work with my daughter:

1. Bulk importing costumes results in the costumes being added in random order. This is incredibly painful when importing > 10 costumes as one must repeatedly drag costumes about until they're in the correct order. To make matters worse, you cannot drag them any further than the visible subset of costumes, so this results in a workflow of drag a bit, scroll, drag a bit, scroll, drag a bit, scroll, whoops - missed the scroll bar, scroll, drag a bit, aagh - I clicked delete!

2. Deleting a costume selects the previous costume instead of the next. If you delete the first costume, none are selected. This makes it time-consuming to delete a lot of costumes, because one must either delete, select, then delete again, OR one must select the lowest visible costume, delete it, then delete the one above it, then above that until you've deleted the top one, then go back down the list and repeat until they're all deleted.

3. The color picker is painful to use if the color in question comprises only a small part of the costume, or if the color isn't even on-screen at the moment because it's part of a costume that's hidden. Please, please, please make this easier. Perhaps provide a drop-down on the color picker that allows you to look through all costumes in all sprites, and permits zooming. Also, any chance the alpha channel could be included here?

4. What I wouldn't do for clone-scoped variables. They are absolutely crucial to sanely solving any number of problems. It was so difficult explaining to my daughter why we were doing all these hacks to get around this lack of feature. When I explained to her (she's 8) how we could do it if there were clone-scoped variables, she totally got it.

5. In the Data section, there's no visual distinction between variables of different scope. I think it would be helpful to group them visually into "Stage", "Sprite" and - when you add it  wink  - "Clone" groups. I realize it makes no difference to the accessibility of the data, but it would make it clearer as to what you might be affecting by changing the variable, or what might affect you by accessing the variable.

6. Not sure if already addressed, but it would be nice if the new forums had markdown instead of this BBCode rubbish  wink

Thanks for passing on my feedback - I look forward to seeing it in the 2.0 forums and not being able to comment on any replies  smile

Kent

#4 2013-03-15 22:07:56

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Well, you joined too late.  The deadline was January 26th.  Also, remember this is BETA, not the FINAL.

Responses:

1.  How good is your computer/Flash?
2.  See above
3.  Support alpha channel, but the color-picker is perfectly fine.
4.  It does have those.  I've tested.
5.  There is, I believe.  And the local variables duplicate during cloning, and delete themselves.
6.  "BBCode rubbish."  That's only your opinion, and in my opinion, your opinion is a harsh opinion.  Also, markdown is quite esoteric.  I looked it up.  BBCode is simple and easy.  markdown is quite a bit different.  Also, remember that younger kids use it.  Which is simpler?  You'll also want to know the BBCode is more widely used, and everyone who's been here for a while uses it like a third language (our second one is Scratch  tongue ).

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#5 2013-03-16 01:58:14

kayybee
Scratcher

I really think 6 is an opinion, so I won't include it (as everyone will just say the same thing as this) but I'm actually really used to BBCode, along with most other people on this forum and almost all other forums (Bulletin Board Code is very widespread on forums)

Also 4. It's possible to make clone-specific variables. If you have a local variable, and you clone something, it becomes a clone-specific variable.

Here's the topic. Again, if you need to post something, just post it here.

#6 2013-03-16 15:10:42

kcb_tjb
New Scratcher

> Well, you joined too late.  The deadline was January 26th.  Also, remember this is BETA, not the FINAL.

Um, yes, beta. Hence, wanting to provide feedback before it is final - that is the whole point   roll  And that doesn't in any way address the underlying problem, which is that it's difficult for me to provide feedback, when all that's needed is a beta-specific forum in the old site. Anyways, kayybee has passed on my feedback so I'm happy with that.

> 1. How good is your computer/Flash?

This makes absolutely no difference to #1 and #2, but it's Windows 8 with the latest flash (11.6.602.180). Quad-core, 16GB RAM.

> 3. Support alpha channel, but the color-picker is perfectly fine.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous and dismissive response. If the color picker is perfectly fine for you then that doesn't imply that it's perfectly fine for my use case. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up would I?

>  4. It does have those.  I've tested.

Indeed it does! I last checked this over a month ago, so perhaps it was added since then, or maybe my original test was flawed. Either way, I'm happy with this!

> 5.  There is, I believe.

No, there isn't. If there was, you'd be able to tell me from looking at the below image which of var1, var2 and var3 are stage variables versus which are sprite variables (not a scratcher so can't embed image or link):

http://i.imgur.com/Fs7ln3D.png

As for preferring markdown, it of course is an opinion (just as you hold the opinion that BBCode suffices). It was tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley. I'll check my humour at the door next time.  sad

Thanks a lot for posting that kayybee - much appreciated.

#7 2013-03-16 19:37:23

Firedrake969
Scratcher

2.  Opinions, opinions, opinions.  Those pesky opinions... 

That is all.

As for 5:

They'll add that.  1.4, if you're worked with it, they have it.  As for cloning, they're sprite variables.

^^last sentence sounded odd.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

Board footer