This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-04-29 20:06:25

Waffle27
Scratcher

Re: nanowrimo [2013 competition]

I have officially decided on my July camp novel I will write  big_smile

#27 2013-04-29 20:29:52

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

Sellout wrote:

I really never saw the point in this challenge. Rushing yourself to write a huge piece in 30 days isn't really going to give you anything but stress, and you probably won't have an entirely fabulous finished product. It'd be better to take your time on developing an idea and giving yourself space to work on it

What it is is you write your rough draft.  smile  You can edit it later. And if 50K is too much for you you can do the YWP which lets you set your own word goal  smile

I don't understand setting any "word goal" for yourself. Creative writing generally isn't about deadlines and word limits as much as it should be ideas and feeling you want to communicate. I think simplifying writing into dates and numbers is very silly.

But a lot of times, people need motivation, and stress and deadlines is something that gets them there.

It can take a person who "would like to write a novel" to someone who "is writing a novel" to someone who "has written a novel".

Just because you operate under a time constraint doesn't mean you're work has less artistic value or it has been "simplified" into a bunch of numbers.

It's just as creative, and the editing process is there to refine all the work you managed to get done.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#28 2013-04-29 20:45:16

CN12
Scratcher

Definitely doing it.

Click this on April 15th to see the new album from The 10th Dimension!
http://oi48.tinypic.com/23tqhyw.jpg

#29 2013-04-29 20:58:41

Waffle27
Scratcher

Me too  big_smile
I'm so excited! This July will be my first time doing it!~

#30 2013-05-01 16:10:43

luiysia
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

I really never saw the point in this challenge. Rushing yourself to write a huge piece in 30 days isn't really going to give you anything but stress, and you probably won't have an entirely fabulous finished product. It'd be better to take your time on developing an idea and giving yourself space to work on it

I think it's kind of like a kick in the butt for the kind of people who have an idea for a novel and characters and stuff but they just never had the motivation/time to actually write it - with nanowrimo they have lots of other people that are also writing novels that can give tips and can motivate them. it's also a good way to just get out as much as you can - lots of people may not go by the 50,000 word goal but still use nanowrimo for the community and the idea of just writing as much as possible in one month.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

Board footer