This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-15 18:45:54

MoxieRoxx
Scratcher

nanowrimo [2013 competition]

hey guys!! looking 4 something to do this november?!

what's nanowrimo?: (national novel writing month;) an AMAZING place online 2 write!
the challenge?: to write a novel w/ 50,000 words in it within 1 month!
every year during the WHOLE month of november TONS of ppl go online to write a 50,000 worded novel in ONE month!
honestly, it's DEFINITELY a challenge, & not an easy one either. & if you're really serious about it, then u pretty much end up doing nothing but writing the whole month. so, if u have school, then u might even end up w/ missing work, or might end up forgetting to study 4 a test, or u might forget to do homework. (just thought i should warn u ahead of time, 4 those of u who are interested so far. wink  & it's a TOTAL pain counting how many words you've written so far & keeping up w/ ur word count on ur account on the website, updating ever so often. but in the end it's totally worth it!

tips:
don't wait till the last minute 2 start coming up w/ what story ur gonna write! trust me, it's a LOT harder if u do that. i sadly did last yr, & didn't win. in fact, i didn't even finish  the story. (STILL haven't!!;() it's better to start trying 2 figure this out as soon as possible.  that's why i started figuring it out last month, or @ least tried to. still a work in progress.
make sure u save ur work on a computer, laptop, ipad, or tablet. u kinda need to anyway, because later on, if you're not sure about ur word count, or if you think you've finished, you'll need to validate it, by copying & pasting it onto a certain spot on the site. so, doing this from the beginning will save u some time.
use the forums on the site if ur stuck or the internet. both are AMAZING!! i swear!! i used both last yr & they seriously have helped!!
make an account as soon as possible. don't wait till the last minute to join!! you'll need an account if u want to participate. so, why wait?!

anyway.. here's the site that's used for this: http://nanowrimo.org/

& here's a link 2 me on there:

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/punkrainbow13

if u guys have ANY questions or need ANY help during nanowrimo, then u can post here & let me know, mail me on the site, or comment on 1 of my projs. i'll get back to u asap.

almost forgot!!
writing doesn't start till november. right now, if u have a story already that u can edit, u can participate in the now what months.
here's a link 2 the forum that has 2 do w/ the rules & a link that'll give u more info on the now what months:
http://nanowrimo.org/en/forums/rules-regulations-and-other-minutiae
http://nanowrimo.org/en/nowwhat

everyone has a song. find urs here!!:http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=114474&p=1

#2 2013-02-15 18:47:33

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Re: nanowrimo [2013 competition]

Ok, first off, I don't understand this at all. Second off, this is a duplicate. The original topic can be found here.

Last edited by ImagineIt (2013-02-15 18:54:01)

#3 2013-02-15 21:57:19

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

ImagineIt wrote:

Ok, first off, I don't understand this at all. Second off, this is a duplicate. The original topic can be found here.

Does it make sense to make a new thread for the new year?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#4 2013-02-15 22:03:21

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Does it make sense to make a new thread for the new year?

I guess that would work, but I think that maybe the first post should be updated to not be in all textspeak first.

#5 2013-02-15 22:13:12

berberberber
Scratcher

I can't read a single thing...

http://i47.tinypic.com/2iaa73k.png

#6 2013-02-15 22:22:15

luiysia
Scratcher

i think u guyz r prolly fakin bcuz rly
is it THAT HARD
2 READ THIS

LOL U CANT REED DIS ITS LIKE  IM SPEAKIN IN CODE OR S/T

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#7 2013-02-15 22:32:08

zubblewu
Scratcher

wut r u syng
cod s bad
ur r ben rly men  sad
th@s dscrimnashn
u shd b ashamd of urself

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#8 2013-02-15 22:44:56

Wickimen
Scratcher

i can read it but it annoys me

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#9 2013-02-15 22:47:06

zubblewu
Scratcher

did you actually take the effort
if so, i admire your... single-mindedness

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#10 2013-02-16 03:29:11

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Come on - it's not that hard to read.   Even an old guy like me can figure it out.  Maybe one of you can provide a "translation" for the txt-talk challenged  smile

Now, please return to topic.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#11 2013-02-16 07:43:39

epicepicman
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Come on - it's not that hard to read.   Even an old guy like me can figure it out.  Maybe one of you can provide a "translation" for the txt-talk challenged  smile

Now, please return to topic.

On it:

Hey guys!! Looking 4 something to do this November?

What's nanowrimo (national novel writing month)? It's an AMAZING place online 2 write!
The challenge? To write a novel with 50,000 words in it within 1 month!
Every year during the WHOLE month of november TONS of people go online to write a 50,000 worded novel in ONE month!
Honestly, it's DEFINITELY a challenge, and not an easy one either. If you're really serious about it, then you pretty much end up doing nothing but writing the whole month. So, if you have school, then you might even end up with missing work, end up forgetting to study for a test, or you might forget to do homework. (Just thought I should warn you ahead of time for those of you who are interested so far.   It's a TOTAL pain counting how many words you've written so far & keeping up with your word count on your account on the website, updating ever so often. But in the end, it's totally worth it!

Tips:
Don't wait until the last minute to start coming up with what story your gonna write! Trust me, it's a LOT harder if you do that. I sadly did last year, & I didn't win. In fact, I didn't even finish the story. (STILL haven't!!) It's better to start trying to figure this out as soon as possible.  That's why I started figuring it out last month, or at least tried to. (It's still a work in progress. )
Make sure you save your work on a computer, laptop, iPad, or tablet. You kinda need to anyway, because later on, if you're not sure about your word count, or if you think you've finished, you'll need to validate it, by copying & pasting it onto a certain spot on the site. So, doing this from the beginning will save you some time.
Use the forums on the site if your stuck or the internet. Both are AMAZING!! I swear!! I used both last year & they seriously have helped!!
Make an account as soon as possible. Don't wait until the last minute to join!! You'll need an account if you want to participate. So, why wait?!

Anyway, here's the site that's used for this: http://nanowrimo.org/

And here's a link to me on there:

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/punkrainbow13

If you guys have ANY questions or need ANY help during nanowrimo, then you can post here & let me know, mail me on the site, or comment on 1 of my projects. I'll get back to you asap.

Almost forgot!!
Writing doesn't start until November. Right now, if you have a story already that you can edit, you can participate in the Now What months.
Here's a link to the forum that has to do with the rules and a link that will give you more info on the Now What months:
http://nanowrimo.org/en/forums/rules-re … r-minutiae
http://nanowrimo.org/en/nowwhat

TL;DR:
NaNoWriMo is a competition to write a novel with 50,000 words in one month. Make sure to plan in  your head what your story is going to be ahead of time, save your work,  and use the NaNoWriMo fourms if you get stuck. If you need any help, ask me (not me, MoxxieRoxx).

If you want something to do while Scratch is down, check out tbgs.tk! It's the new version of the (closed) Scratch TBGS, run by Scratchers! I'm going to spend most of my time there, anyway.

#12 2013-02-16 09:30:04

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Sounds cool.
I just don't have the time.   sad

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#13 2013-02-16 10:42:58

veggieman001
Scratcher

I'm planning on starting something new if I have my current in-progress thing finished, but if I don't, I'll work on that.

#14 2013-02-16 11:12:24

Wickimen
Scratcher

Does this topic include the Camp NaNoWriMo months?

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#15 2013-02-16 11:18:03

veggieman001
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

Does this topic include the Camp NaNoWriMo months?

I would hope/assume so, considering it was made so early.

#16 2013-02-16 13:24:30

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Okay, we have a translation now but I just think
maybe the text speak was shocking because this is all about properly written novels!

Anyway, I haven't really considered ideas (or if I will attempt it) yet. Will probably do the June one with some preparation and such because I've failed my first two tries.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#17 2013-02-16 16:25:38

Necromaster
Scratcher

Tips from somebody who doesn't understand how to type proper English? No thanks.

Am I being harsh? I hope not.

#18 2013-02-16 17:19:05

ProgrammingPro01
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

i can read it but it annoys me

Bye 1.4!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sobbing.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#19 2013-04-25 00:35:00

Waffle27
Scratcher

I am hoping to do the July one  smile

#20 2013-04-25 00:52:21

veggieman
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

I'm planning on starting something new if I have my current in-progress thing finished, but if I don't, I'll work on that.

All of this is a lie.

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#21 2013-04-25 01:02:45

Sellout
Scratcher

I really never saw the point in this challenge. Rushing yourself to write a huge piece in 30 days isn't really going to give you anything but stress, and you probably won't have an entirely fabulous finished product. It'd be better to take your time on developing an idea and giving yourself space to work on it

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#22 2013-04-25 01:07:22

Waffle27
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

I really never saw the point in this challenge. Rushing yourself to write a huge piece in 30 days isn't really going to give you anything but stress, and you probably won't have an entirely fabulous finished product. It'd be better to take your time on developing an idea and giving yourself space to work on it

What it is is you write your rough draft.  smile  You can edit it later. And if 50K is too much for you you can do the YWP which lets you set your own word goal  smile

#23 2013-04-25 01:16:38

veggieman
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Sellout wrote:

What it is is you write your rough draft.  smile  You can edit it later.

My main problem with that is that I'd have to completely rewrite most of what I've written for past NaNos in order to have anything halfway decent that I could edit.

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#24 2013-04-25 01:19:41

Sellout
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Sellout wrote:

What it is is you write your rough draft.  smile  You can edit it later. And if 50K is too much for you you can do the YWP which lets you set your own word goal  smile

I don't understand setting any "word goal" for yourself. Creative writing generally isn't about deadlines and word limits as much as it should be ideas and feeling you want to communicate. I think simplifying writing into dates and numbers is very silly.

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#25 2013-04-25 01:27:45

Waffle27
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

Sellout wrote:

I don't understand setting any "word goal" for yourself. Creative writing generally isn't about deadlines and word limits as much as it should be ideas and feeling you want to communicate. I think simplifying writing into dates and numbers is very silly.

It just gives you a goal in a time limit. For those writers who want a challenge. Or, if your like me and never finish a novel XD
Oh well. If you dont like it you dont have to do it  smile

Board footer