This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-03 08:58:37

wiimaster
Scratcher

Scratch Chefs: The Scratch Cookbook!

Scratch Chefs is back and better than ever!
For the first time, I have partnered up with Nomolos to run this project!

About Us:
Scratch Chefs is designed to bring all the cuisine-loving scratchers together. You can post recipes on this thread, and if they meet the guidelines they will end up in the project as a recipe viewable to the scratch community!
This topic can be utilized as a thread for posting recipes or simply a place to discuss the joy of food and cooking!
Scratch Chefs is complete with a Culinary Dictionary - if you have no idea what Flambe, Blanche or Al-Dente mean, you will surely find it there!
If you want information on a specific ingredient, check out the Ingredient Encyclopedia - we gradually add detailed profiles of common culinary ingredients!
If you make a recipe from a project, post here! Tell us if it worked, if you had fun, and if it tasted good or not!
To get started, view the project here, or submit a recipe using the form below.

Recipe Name: Be creative!

Meal Type:
Breakfast, Appetizer, Soup, Salad, Sandwich, Pasta/Rice, Meat/Poultry, Fish/Seafood, Casserole, Pizza, Side Dish, Sauce/Dip, Bread, Cake, Cookie, Pastry, Frozen Dessert, Confectionary, or Drink.

Difficulty:
Kids, Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard, or Expert (This is subject to change if we do not feel it is correct)

Author:
Your username.

Ingredients:
All the ingredients. Be specific with measurements, numbers, types and sizes. One on each line.

Steps:
How to prepare the meal. MAKE SURE TO BE SPECIFIC AND CORRECT. DO NOT LEAVE OUT STEPS. And please use proper grammar. Make sure they are numbered. Do not use pronouns such as 'You' or 'I'. Use present tense.

Additional Notes: Optional.

Tags: Tags are useful for making noteworthy info clear. Just add the ones that apply to your dish.
-'Spicy': The dish is fairly spicy. Though it is hard to measure, this would rank around 100-2,500 Scoville units.
-'Very Spicy': Most people cannot handle extremely spicy dishes. This would be anywhere above 2,500 Scoville units.
-'Contains Nuts': Many people are allergic to nuts. This means peanuts or any tree nut (eg almonds, walnuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts etc).
-'Vegetarian': Vegetarianism is a lifestyle many people choose to live. If a dish is 'vegetarian', it doesn't just mean it has no meat. It needs to have a sufficient protein substitute (eg: tofu, nuts, beans) to make it equally as healthy as a meat dish would be. For example, tofu stir fry is considered a vegetarian dish, but a chocolate cake wouldn't. The chocolate cake has no meat, but that doesn't make it vegetarian.
-'Vegan': Veganism is another common lifestyle; it is similar to Vegetarianism but there are a few key differences. Vegan dishes contain no animal products. That means no meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, egg, milk and milk products, honey, gelatin, lard, food dye, bone, blood, whey, and most broths or stocks.
-'Gluten Free': Many people are allergic to gluten. These dishes would be right for them. Gluten is found in many grains. For example, anything that contains wheat, barley, rye, semolina, and some types of oats is NOT gluten free. Beer also contains gluten.
-'Contains Shellfish': Many people are allergic to shellfish. Shellfish is also dangerous during pregnancy. Shellfish is any mollusk, cephalopod or bivalve - this includes shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, octopus, oyster, scallop - note that Fish does not fall into this category.
-'Contains Alcohol': Many people have religious or health reasons to not consume alcohol. Many sauces contain wine or beer, for example.

RULES:
-The recipe must be your own, nothing taken from cookbooks, websites etc.
-The recipe must contain real food, no chemicals or things you typically don't eat.
-No trolling. Ingredients can't be fake (like unicorn meat)
-It cannot be to simple. For example, don't post a recipe on how to make buttered bread or anything too straightforward.
-Please don't say 'add all my recipes from the previous version' because I do not have those saved.

Your recipe will be added WITHIN A WEEK OR TWO. Please be patient.
This thread can be for submitting recipes or just discussing food in general. Have fun, and Bon Appetit!

Last edited by wiimaster (2013-03-08 17:00:29)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/wiimaster1/Wiimaster_zps107dca4c.gif

#2 2013-02-03 09:01:47

MrMokey
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Chefs: The Scratch Cookbook!

I don't know, I make pretty mean buttered bread...

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa344/mrmokey1/Thankyouitfitsperfectlysig.png

#3 2013-02-03 13:43:16

wiimaster
Scratcher

MrMokey wrote:

I don't know, I make pretty mean buttered bread...

tongue

#4 2013-02-03 16:06:43

Agg725
Scratcher

I'll ask my mom for some of her recipes if that's ok

http://i.imgur.com/LIoxG.png

#5 2013-02-03 17:43:37

Necromaster
Scratcher

I make amazing instant coffee

You have to pay me 50$ for the recipe tho

#6 2013-02-04 00:18:59

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

Ah, I remember this from the days of yore  smile
Also, you might want to add 'Kosher' to your list of tags. There is a growing number of people who eat kosher.

#7 2013-02-04 09:13:30

wiimaster
Scratcher

Spaxxy wrote:

Also, you might want to add 'Kosher' to your list of tags. There is a growing number of people who eat kosher.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it!  smile

I researched it a bit, it is a great idea and would be possible. Unfortunately, I don't want to implement it mainly because I don't want to deal with 30 other religious dietary needs being requested. It would end up being too many tags (as there is over 4000 religions around the world), and saying no would be hard for me to do - the main question being which religions will I accommodate and which will I not?
It's a little bit touchy for me to incorporate religion into this so unfortunately I am going to say no.

What I can do, however, is in the near future I could try and add a whole new section about religious diets, similar to the encyclopedia or dictionary. It will feature kosher among others such as halal and more.

Last edited by wiimaster (2013-02-04 09:35:44)

#8 2013-02-04 20:51:17

geohendan
Scratcher

There were lots of recipes before in the old one- are you putting those in too?

Scratching that nasty wart on my back since 2009!
http://i.imgur.com/OzpGtWV.jpg

#9 2013-02-04 23:44:33

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

Name: Dutch Oven Biscuits and Gravy

Type: Breakfast

Difficulty: Medium (Because you have to use dutch ovens, and if you're camping, you have to know how to work with and arrange the coals)

Author: Spaxxy

Ingredients:
Uncooked Pork Sausage (Can be any type, but I suggest pork)
Butter
Flour
Milk
Premade biscuit dough (Can be storebought or homemade, but it's easier to buy it at the store)

Steps:
1) Make biscuit dough, or prepare store-bought dough. (If you're cooking at home) Heat the oven to whatever it says on the package or what the recipe recommends. (If you're cooking while camping) Put about 8 coals on the bottom of the dutch oven, and 15-20-ish on the lid. Put the biscuits in whichever oven you're using, and while you're waiting for them to cook, continue with the recipe.
2) Crumble up the sausage and cook it inside another dutch oven, this one placed on a camping oven. Make sure that it is brown all the way through.
3) Take the sausage out of the dutch oven, placing it in another bowl. Be sure to leave the sausage grease in the pan.
4) Add about a tablespoon of butter to the sausage grease, and then guesstimate on how much flour to add, but try to add as much flour as you have fats (The butter and the grease combined). Mix thoroughly; this is known as a rue.
5) Add milk to your rue. Be a bit stingy with this, because there is no set amount, and if you have too little, you can add more. Mix with the rue, and continue to stir over heat until it thickens. Add the cooked sausage back in, and your gravy is done.
6) By this time or before (Make sure to check often!) your biscuits should be done or close to done. When they are, take them out, and serve them after they cool a little bit. Spoon gravy generously on top, and breakfast is served!

Tags: Potentially spicy, depends on the sausage you choose and the spiciness of that

#10 2013-02-04 23:50:21

Necromaster
Scratcher

Spaxxy wrote:

Difficulty: Medium (Because you have to use dutch ovens, and if you're camping, you have to know how to work with and arrange the coals)

Ingredients:
Butter
Flour
Milk
Premade biscuit dough (Can be storebought or homemade, but it's easier to buy it at the store)

Steps:
1) Make biscuit dough, or prepare store-bought dough. (If you're cooking at home) Heat the oven to whatever it says on the package or what the recipe recommends. (If you're cooking while camping) Put about 8 coals on the bottom of the dutch oven, and 15-20-ish on the lid. Put the biscuits in whichever oven you're using, and while you're waiting for them to cook, continue with the recipe.
2) Crumble up the sausage and cook it inside another dutch oven, this one placed on a camping oven. Make sure that it is brown all the way through.
3) Take the sausage out of the dutch oven, placing it in another bowl. Be sure to leave the sausage grease in the pan.
4) Add about a tablespoon of butter to the sausage grease, and then guesstimate on how much flour to add, but try to add as much flour as you have fats (The butter and the grease combined). Mix thoroughly; this is known as a rue.
5) Add milk to your rue. Be a bit stingy with this, because there is no set amount, and if you have too little, you can add more. Mix with the rue, and continue to stir over heat until it thickens. Add the cooked sausage back in, and your gravy is done.
6) By this time or before (Make sure to check often!) your biscuits should be done or close to done. When they are, take them out, and serve them after they cool a little bit. Spoon gravy generously on top, and breakfast is served!

Tags: Potentially spicy, depends on the sausage you choose and the spiciness of that

Yum

#11 2013-02-05 00:14:28

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

Necromaster wrote:

I make amazing instant coffee

You have to pay me 50$ for the recipe tho

$40, you mean. (ratspell)

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

#12 2013-02-05 01:51:12

jukyter
Scratcher

wiimaster wrote:

Spaxxy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it!  smile

I researched it a bit, it is a great idea and would be possible. Unfortunately, I don't want to implement it mainly because I don't want to deal with 30 other religious dietary needs being requested. It would end up being too many tags (as there is over 4000 religions around the world), and saying no would be hard for me to do - the main question being which religions will I accommodate and which will I not?
It's a little bit touchy for me to incorporate religion into this so unfortunately I am going to say no.

What I can do, however, is in the near future I could try and add a whole new section about religious diets, similar to the encyclopedia or dictionary. It will feature kosher among others such as halal and more.

id imagine no one would force you to create 3000 sections for each religion  smile

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#13 2013-02-05 10:54:17

Nomolos
Scratcher

Spaxxy wrote:

Ingredients:
Butter
Flour
Milk

Steps:

Great! Our first user created recipe! (Other then wiimaster's)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#14 2013-02-05 15:41:53

wiimaster
Scratcher

As soon as Nomolos flattens out some bugs I will add that delicious-sounding recipe!
Might I add that I love getting international cuisine instead of the usual American fare.

And to answer geohendan's question:
No, unless they re-post them. We are starting fresh - from scratch.

#15 2013-02-05 17:10:23

Nomolos
Scratcher

I fixed the bugs!

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-02-05 17:10:34)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.

#16 2013-02-05 18:49:01

wiimaster
Scratcher

Great, recipes will be added tomorrow.
I will add the Biscuits and Gravy as well as a few more of my recipes C:

#17 2013-02-05 19:32:58

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

reposting some

Title: Jelly cubes

Meal Type: Dessert

Difficulty:
Beginner - Easy

Author: Laternenpfahl

Ingredients:
1 cup fruit juice
I packet gelatin (preferably Knox)
Maybe a bit of sugar

Steps:
•1. Put 1/4 of the fruit juice into a small plastic container. Pour the rest into a pot.
•2. Put the pot on the range thingy and turn it to medium heat. Take the plastic container and sprinkle the gelatin over it.
•3. Wait until the fruit juice in the pot gets a few small bubbles, then pour the contents of the plastic container into the pot.
•4. Stir the mix in the pot with a (preferably wooden) spoon for about 3-5 minutes or until the gelatin is completely dissolved. You may want to add a bit of sugar.
•5. Now, put the mix into a standard ice cube mold and let rest in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

Tips:
You can also use other things like margarita mix instead of juice.

You can also use shaped ice cube molds.

Tags:
-'Yummy"

I thought i had a second one, something witch chicken... is it in an old project? Can't find it  sad

Last edited by Laternenpfahl (2013-02-05 19:33:09)

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

#18 2013-02-06 18:36:47

wiimaster
Scratcher

Updated!

#19 2013-02-10 09:42:00

wiimaster
Scratcher

Come on people!

This has been... underwhelming, to say the least. I don't expect it to live up to the fame of its predecessor, but come on!
Post some recipes! It's too quiet!

#20 2013-02-10 10:45:42

Nomolos
Scratcher

B.U.M.P! Anyone have recipes they would like to share? We could use some...

#21 2013-03-05 13:21:42

lissi4
Scratcher

where is the first one????????????????????????????????

#22 2013-03-05 18:14:56

ChadtheBuilder
Scratcher

Recipe Name: Hot Cocoa

Meal Type: Drink

Difficulty: Medium

Author: ChadtheBuilder

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk (high cream content is advised, but skim milk works too)
2 tsp. vanilla extract (not artificial vanilla)
(Optional) Whipped cream, marshmallows, and mini-chocolate chips.

Steps: Stir the cocoa powder and sugar in a medium cooking saucepan. Then put in water and stir. Cook for medium heat while constantly stirring until mixture starts to boil. Once it boils, keep stirring it for two minutes. After two minutes, add milk and stir. Heat up to the temperature you would like to serve at, but don't boil it again. Take chocolate off stove and stir in vanilla. Pour into four medium coffee cups. Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, and mini-chocolate chips.

Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107729333/1360160765356.jpg

#23 2013-03-05 18:27:51

Nomolos
Scratcher

Yay! Finally another recipe! Also, please report glitches! I need something to fix.  tongue

#24 2013-03-05 22:42:00

ChadtheBuilder
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

Yay! Finally another recipe! Also, please report glitches! I need something to fix.  tongue

What kind of glitches?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107729333/1360160765356.jpg

#25 2013-03-06 02:49:06

NeilWest
Scratcher

I need to repost that epic ham and broccoli pasta bake I made!

Board footer