This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2013-04-06 21:27:46

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

Re: Style Xi 3|The collaboration where everyone's a leader

How will we get new members between now and then?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dbjt35.jpg

#127 2013-04-06 23:58:39

tpaley
Scratcher

StardustGogeta wrote:

How will we get new members between now and then?

I guess people will just join. Hopefully it will only be 1 or 2 months until then.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2z82h3d.gif

#128 2013-04-07 00:42:36

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

Ok.

#129 2013-04-07 06:30:09

P110
Scratcher

tpaley wrote:

oh, P110? can you make the website (you can do this after the site is released) allow senior members to change text and stuff? This would help for really fast updating of info.

Sure, I can do it before it's released it's quite simple, but it'll take a couple of days to change every page to do this and create the database structure.

EDIT: I just had this crazy idea, the entire website runs off 1 page! Each page has an ID in the database and when the 1 webpage requests the content for that ID it displays that id but it can be the same page for every single page!
(that didn't make sense did it? All you need to know is cool techie stuff and site should be ready in a week or 2)

EDIT2: tpaley, what do you want users to be able to do, I'm sure I have asked this question before but I forgot... And again another question I've asked what pages do you want?

EDIT3: To get around making you all learn html and PHP so you can make good webpages on the site, I'm going to add an extensive BBcode dictionary, if you have an idea for one, tell me!  big_smile

Last edited by P110 (2013-04-07 09:11:32)

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#130 2013-04-07 10:28:30

tpaley
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

tpaley wrote:

oh, P110? can you make the website (you can do this after the site is released) allow senior members to change text and stuff? This would help for really fast updating of info.

Sure, I can do it before it's released it's quite simple, but it'll take a couple of days to change every page to do this and create the database structure.

EDIT: I just had this crazy idea, the entire website runs off 1 page! Each page has an ID in the database and when the 1 webpage requests the content for that ID it displays that id but it can be the same page for every single page!
(that didn't make sense did it? All you need to know is cool techie stuff and site should be ready in a week or 2)

EDIT2: tpaley, what do you want users to be able to do, I'm sure I have asked this question before but I forgot... And again another question I've asked what pages do you want?

EDIT3: To get around making you all learn html and PHP so you can make good webpages on the site, I'm going to add an extensive BBcode dictionary, if you have an idea for one, tell me!  big_smile

your first edit did make sense. It's what you would do in flash for making a completely flash website. You hide the elements for all the pages and then show the correct elements and hide the incorrect elements when you switch pages, right?

your second edit: just be able to post on member only forum pages. Senior members should be able to post on the blog and have manage abilities on the forum.

your thrid edit: I don't quite get what you mean. I know a little html but not much. if you want a BBcode dictionary, just use scratch's (if you can't get the scratchblocks into there, I don't care.)

Edit: leading member wherever I said senior member. I forgot the difference.

Last edited by tpaley (2013-04-07 10:46:42)

#131 2013-04-07 10:41:25

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

Am I a "senior member", or do I still need a promotion from someone? It is hard to keep track without my name being anywhere on the first post.

#132 2013-04-07 10:47:54

tpaley
Scratcher

StardustGogeta wrote:

Am I a "senior member", or do I still need a promotion from someone? It is hard to keep track without my name being anywhere on the first post.

I am not quite sure what you are. you haven't been with us for a couple of weeks but you have contributed to our group... Until further notice, assume that you are a full XI member.

#133 2013-04-07 11:12:21

tpaley
Scratcher

Hey people! This is completely unrelated but does anyone have any ideas for cool aspects for a 3D game? these would only include simple art. I'm gonna make a 3D game in Unity but I need ideas for little things to hone my skills with 3D programming and logic and js.

I might even upload a test game that I made so that you people can look at it!

Last edited by tpaley (2013-04-07 11:13:07)

#134 2013-04-07 11:21:26

tpaley
Scratcher

to change the name: I found this on the Pixainia Collab (reboot) thread:

Nomolos wrote:

CopperHawk wrote:

xlk wrote:

BTW, just noticed how thread is called pixiania, and your layout has pixainia...

Yeah, I made a spelling error on the title.  tongue

Oh, to fix that, just click "Report" on the first post, and ask the ST to change the name.

^^Poor, poor, slimes. xD

look at that last quote! That's how you change the name of the topic! (I bolded it to make it more obvious)

Last edited by tpaley (2013-04-07 11:22:19)

#135 2013-04-07 12:46:52

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

tpaley wrote:

Hey people! This is completely unrelated but does anyone have any ideas for cool aspects for a 3D game? these would only include simple art. I'm gonna make a 3D game in Unity but I need ideas for little things to hone my skills with 3D programming and logic and js.

I think a first-person shooter game would be cool. Also, how would the website tell if you are a senior member or not?

#136 2013-04-07 16:07:14

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Stardust should count as a senior member by now, and you can be an admin too because we have a vacancy for that and you're organised and cool. Any objections to that?
We should migrate to 2.0 for all the programming related stuff. We can upload media to be programmed (costumes, sprites, sound etc) on 1.4. 
Good idea? Bad idea? Just an idea, feel free to change it.
I don't get techhie stuff and I've no idea how the site is going, or how it is aiming to work, or anything.
Maybe a reference guide to the site on these forums, and on the site, presented as a link to a PDF once you've logged on?
It sounds better, cleverer and cooler than I was expecting, so a user guide might be useful for idiots like me.  smile  it should outline the features and how to use them.
What features are there going to be on the site?

#137 2013-04-07 16:30:17

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

Thank you for the promotion and the compliments, pinnipediator. I like your idea of using 2.0 for programming and 1.4 for uploading separate sounds and costumes. Tpaley, do you like the idea?

#138 2013-04-07 23:09:06

tpaley
Scratcher

StardustGogeta wrote:

Thank you for the promotion and the compliments, pinnipediator. I like your idea of using 2.0 for programming and 1.4 for uploading separate sounds and costumes. Tpaley, do you like the idea?

I'm all good with that. (for your previous post: there would be a page that displays that stuff)

#139 2013-04-07 23:14:06

tpaley
Scratcher

StardustGogeta wrote:

tpaley wrote:

I think a first-person shooter game would be cool. Also, how would the website tell if you are a senior member or not?

I mean little elements of a game. If you mean a gun, I already have one of those. just not the art.

If anyone knows how to make awesome 3D art (I mean using blender or 3ds Max or Maya or something else like that), maybe we could run a business!  big_smile  Maybe this whole team could help out with ideas! Just an idea. But anyone? If you know any 3D art-ing skills, I would like to collaborate making a 3D game with you!

#140 2013-04-08 11:00:52

pinnipediator
Scratcher

I'm no good at blender. Partly because I dont have any access at all to a machine that can run it.
That's about it as far as me and 3D modelling go. I don't even like minecraft.
I'm pretty good with google sketchup though.

#141 2013-04-08 18:43:53

tpaley
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

I'm no good at blender. Partly because I dont have any access at all to a machine that can run it.

If you can do 3D models in google sketchup, you can export them as .obj, .3ds, .fbx, and .dxf files that I can use

If you want to help make a game, try making some stairs. ( I did and it worked! Please also make everything in groups to simplify my work. Also make a smooth sensing block. It should turn the stairs into a ramp (don't worry! your stairs are not gone! I am just using that for sensing. I will turn it invisible!).)

I have no idea how to send the files for testing. I guess just find a file hoster that will host that large of files. (I do not have dropbox. If you need to use dropbox to send a file tho, I can ask my parents who do have a dropbox account) I do have the ability to unrar things if you make something a .rar to make it a smaller file.

Last edited by tpaley (2013-04-09 21:17:50)

#142 2013-04-08 20:19:14

StardustGogeta
Scratcher

tpaley wrote:

pinnipediator wrote:

what's that?

I'm sure I can find someone else. you can still come up with ideas!

You don't know what Google Sketchup is? It is a 3D modeling program made by Google that is easy to learn and easy to use. It is extremely user-friendly.

#143 2013-04-08 20:20:09

tpaley
Scratcher

StardustGogeta wrote:

tpaley wrote:

pinnipediator wrote:

what's that?

I'm sure I can find someone else. you can still come up with ideas!

You don't know what Google Sketchup is? It is a 3D modeling program made by Google that is easy to learn and easy to use. It is extremely user-friendly.

yeah. I just figured that out. I edited my previous post

#144 2013-04-09 05:10:30

P110
Scratcher

tpaley wrote:

P110 wrote:

tpaley wrote:

your first edit did make sense. It's what you would do in flash for making a completely flash website. You hide the elements for all the pages and then show the correct elements and hide the incorrect elements when you switch pages, right?

your second edit: just be able to post on member only forum pages. Senior members should be able to post on the blog and have manage abilities on the forum.

your thrid edit: I don't quite get what you mean. I know a little html but not much. if you want a BBcode dictionary, just use scratch's (if you can't get the scratchblocks into there, I don't care.)

Yep that's what I meant for the first bit.

I meant on the actual site, the forums already do that, and you need a separate account for blog and maybe forums as I'm running word-press for the blog and the same software as 1.4 for the forums, however I am currently linking the forums and website so you only need 1 account for them. There will be a way for us to create, delete and edit webpages, which I am still building and that can work on individual logins or just 1 team password, which would you prefer.

The forums already have BBcode but I meant when editing the site, rather than everyone use html or php, you can use a special BBcode, as in, rather than writing

Code:

<?php if($_SESSION['username'] = ""){echo "sorry you need to be logged in to view this page click <a href=\"[login page]\" title=\"Login\">here</a> to login.";} else {echo"Hey there $_SESSION[username], $page_content_from_database";} ?>

every time you wanted the page to be available to people who are logged in, you would only have to write

Code:

[loggedinonly]

also, thanks for reminding me! I will get scratch-blocks on the forums when I get the chance...

Well that's another long post from me, sorry it was delayed, my laptop ran out of battery and I'm ill...

Last edited by P110 (2013-04-09 05:10:59)

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#145 2013-04-09 19:42:19

tpaley
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

tpaley wrote:

P110 wrote:

Yep that's what I meant for the first bit.

I meant on the actual site, the forums already do that, and you need a separate account for blog and maybe forums as I'm running word-press for the blog and the same software as 1.4 for the forums, however I am currently linking the forums and website so you only need 1 account for them. There will be a way for us to create, delete and edit webpages, which I am still building and that can work on individual logins or just 1 team password, which would you prefer.

The forums already have BBcode but I meant when editing the site, rather than everyone use html or php, you can use a special BBcode, as in, rather than writing

Code:

<?php if($_SESSION['username'] = ""){echo "sorry you need to be logged in to view this page click <a href=\"[login page]\" title=\"Login\">here</a> to login.";} else {echo"Hey there $_SESSION[username], $page_content_from_database";} ?>

every time you wanted the page to be available to people who are logged in, you would only have to write

Code:

[loggedinonly]

also, thanks for reminding me! I will get scratch-blocks on the forums when I get the chance...

Well that's another long post from me, sorry it was delayed, my laptop ran out of battery and I'm ill...

great!

#146 2013-04-10 03:35:34

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Hey hey no it isn't great. Poor p110 is Ill. That isn't so great. Don't be mean.  sad

#147 2013-04-10 07:07:10

P110
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

Hey hey no it isn't great. Poor p110 is Ill. That isn't so great. Don't be mean.  sad

Lol, thanks pinnipediator, i got the flu for the second time this year... AND ITS ONLY APRIL  mad

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#148 2013-04-10 16:11:39

pinnipediator
Scratcher

*wince* I have had a continuous cold since last September but that isn't As bad as the flu.
Anyway, what ads we doing as far as tank defence is concerned at the moment?

#149 2013-04-10 21:54:12

tpaley
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

pinnipediator wrote:

Lol, thanks pinnipediator, i got the flu for the second time this year... AND ITS ONLY APRIL  mad

That's... that's... that's horrible. I'm sorry. Well at least I'm the picture of health! *coughs* Well... Maybe not. I have a cold. I've never had the flu tho. sorry.

#150 2013-04-10 21:55:24

tpaley
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

Not what I mean and you know it.

Board footer