This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-01-14 00:22:20

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

The Effects of Horror Games on the Human Physiology

A.K.A. my science fair project.

Starting this week, me and a group of my peers will be conducting an experiment on how humans physically react to horror games, specifically Slender. We will be vague about the specifics of the experiment, bring our subjects in under the allure of free cookies, then take them out one by one from a social environment to a dark room, where they will be hooked up to several (Admittedly a bit creepy) sensors such as an EKG, a temperature monitor, and (hopefully) a dissolved oxygen monitor. We will then start the game on a projector in the room, give them a game controller, then close and lock the door for ten minutes, until the game is over, or unless they cry for mercy.

After our data is collected and the experiment over, we will remind the subject that they signed a non-disclosure form mandating severe tortures and a complete frontal lobotomy if they so happen to tell others about the specifics of the experiment. Then we give them free cookies, and then we win 1st place at the science fair.

Any questions?

#2 2013-01-14 00:47:20

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

Re: The Effects of Horror Games on the Human Physiology

You might want to tell them that this is scary. Also provide them with an "ABORT EXPERIMENT" button  tongue

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

#3 2013-01-14 03:55:22

calebxy
Scratcher

They need to have the right to withdraw whenever they want.

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#4 2013-01-14 08:28:28

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

Dundundun

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#5 2013-01-14 08:37:12

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/BLU_Spy/Biggrin_zps19dc6e17.png

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS! My new username is NoxSpooth.

#6 2013-01-14 17:51:47

zubblewu
Scratcher

this is probably the most hilarious troll ive seen here yet

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#7 2013-01-14 18:10:11

Necromaster
Scratcher

zubblewu wrote:

this is probably the most hilarious troll ive seen here yet

#8 2013-01-14 21:36:26

soupoftomato
Scratcher

It's not good enough as an actual science project though.

I mean, I'm pretty sure you aren't serious about this but what you need to do is select several scary video games (perhaps for different reasons or styles, too). Try things like, Amnesia, Slender, XCOM, etc. on each subject.

Record the immediate reactions, and then let any willing participants continue the experiment for a more extended amount of time. Let them play a bit each day and monitor them over, say, a week.

Of course, abort buttons are for the weak, so those should be entirely excluded.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#9 2013-01-14 22:16:42

haxcharsol
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

We don't want to see them go TOO crazy.  tongue

Goodbye 1.4.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#10 2013-01-14 22:24:50

zubblewu
Scratcher

"After our data is collected and the experiment over, we will remind the subject that they signed a non-disclosure form mandating severe tortures and a complete frontal lobotomy if they so happen to tell others about the specifics of the experiment. Then we give them free cookies"

i guarantee you this isn't real

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#11 2013-01-14 23:23:01

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

They will. That's what the "beg for mercy" part was about.

#12 2013-01-14 23:26:26

zubblewu
Scratcher

how do you expect to get consent to torture people and perform complete frontal lobotomies

#13 2013-01-14 23:26:32

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

zubblewu wrote:

"After our data is collected and the experiment over, we will remind the subject that they signed a non-disclosure form mandating severe tortures and a complete frontal lobotomy if they so happen to tell others about the specifics of the experiment. Then we give them free cookies"

i guarantee you this isn't real

It is. At least mostly  wink

soupoftomato wrote:

I mean, I'm pretty sure you aren't serious about this but what you need to do is select several scary video games (perhaps for different reasons or styles, too). Try things like, Amnesia, Slender, XCOM, etc. on each subject.

Record the immediate reactions, and then let any willing participants continue the experiment for a more extended amount of time. Let them play a bit each day and monitor them over, say, a week.

Of course, abort buttons are for the weak, so those should be entirely excluded.

What we plan to do is, after the initial data collection, alter the game to try and find out what about it makes it scary.

#14 2013-01-15 02:40:56

jji7skyline
Scratcher

How would you alter the game?

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#15 2013-01-15 11:52:16

Necromaster
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

XCOM isn't scary.

#16 2013-01-16 01:00:45

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

How would you alter the game?

Magic.
Or Texmod.

#17 2013-01-16 01:06:17

banana500
Scratcher

If you really want to troll your subjects, make sure the cookies are oatmeal raisin.

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#18 2013-01-17 01:18:43

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

If you really want to troll your subjects, make sure the cookies are oatmeal raisin.

This isn't for lulz, it's for science! (the lulz is a nice bonus)

#19 2013-01-17 15:09:55

witchartix
Scratcher

Spaxxy wrote:

banana500 wrote:

Sciiiiiiiiieeeence! Hope your experiment goes well! i'd love to participate, but I seem be living in another town then yours.

Choo! Choo! All aboard the Moron Express!

#20 2013-01-17 21:03:29

Spaxxy
New Scratcher

witchartix wrote:

Spaxxy wrote:

banana500 wrote:

Sciiiiiiiiieeeence! Hope your experiment goes well! i'd love to participate, but I seem be living in another town then yours.

Thanks  smile
Today we tested the experiment on one of the team members, and it was a success! Hopefully we will be able to start actual testing within a couple of weeks.

#21 2013-02-18 19:03:01

nerdyone12
New Scratcher

In a real experiment, you would need a control of both a person not playing, and of someone playing a calm non explicit video game ( racing game) and a violent but not scary video game. I think that a more interesting topic would be to base your study on how subjects that never play violent video games, always play violent video games , or have just played their first violentVideo game as well as basing the study on two games. One should be a game in which the violence is on people who are a threat to you, and a game where the violence is afflicted on an innocent person, and then ask them questions involving empathy, sympathy, or dealing with a life or death situation. Also show a clip of an animated biolent act or something similiar, and record the reaction of the subject.

#22 2013-02-18 19:11:47

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Necromaster wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

XCOM isn't scary.

Sorry I was under the impression it was partly horror

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#23 2013-02-19 00:10:08

Necromaster
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Necromaster wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

XCOM isn't scary.

Sorry I was under the impression it was partly horror

It's supposed to be

But it isn't

#24 2013-04-03 23:23:33

hamsterpuffle
New Scratcher

sounds a bit too creepy for me!huh?

#25 2013-04-04 00:30:51

mattb777
Scratcher

Is the Scary Maze Game a horror game?

It can cause sore throat through screaming and a sprained ankle through jumping off the chair in older cases and in toddlers.

I'm back  big_smile

Board footer