This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-01-13 11:41:47

Rub0Gameton
Scratcher

A Scratch Server for MMOs. (2.0)

I have thought about it and MMOs are not possible with just cloud variables between same project instances (technically, they are, but there would be way too many security flaws). My suggestion is to let us use cloud variables to and from different projects (server and client) so that we can make servers to specifically handle this variables. I don't think I explained this too well, so I will add some information below.

Why is it "not possible?"
It is possible. The problem is that if variables are handled by the client, the player has full control of them either by exploiting a glitch or directly editing RAM addresses and changing variables. This is inferring the best case scenario: that users are not able to edit variables on the cloud without the need of external tools (such as Cheat Engine) or the code.

Huh? They can't edit cloud variables. They are stored in Scratch server, not in the client.
That is true. However, they can edit local variables which are factors of cloud variables. Think of it this way: You are making a wall in an MMO so that people can't get over it unless they are, say, level 10. They could easily use these external tools to change their position to some place over the wall and this position would then get sent to cloud variables and further more, to other players.

Oh, I see what you mean. Then how would your suggestion help at all?
If the ST were to make a Scratch Server, this is how it would work...
1) The client tells the server that it wants to join the game.
2) The server says, "Ok!" and sends the stored coordinates of the user.
3)The client moves their player to the specified coordinates and attempts to update its position regularly.
4) The server follows the player to make sure it does the right movements. From this step, two things can happen:
  a) The player's movement is valid (has moved at the right speed in the expected amount of time) in which case, the server updates the position of this player for everyone else and stores it itself or
  b) The player's movement is invalid (has moved to an unreachable place or has moved faster than the expected amount of time) and the server returns the player to the last valid position. This would happen if the player is trying to cheat.

Ok, now tell me how it would be done.
It would actually be pretty simple. Just create a special instance of Scratch to run as a server with the ability to manage variables on the cloud or just let two different projects manage the same cloud variables. Both would have the same effect.

If you have any questions, let me know below. Feedback is really appreciated, I want to know what everyone thinks about this and any inefficiencies that I may not have spotted. Also be aware that any of this may change or be erroneous, as 2.0 is not out yet and I am not an ALPHA tester.

Are you doing a collab and need a 24/7 TeamSpeak channel? Contact me... somewhere. =P

#2 2013-01-14 14:08:48

iTweak0r
Scratcher

Re: A Scratch Server for MMOs. (2.0)

when you edit a 2.0 project, Cloud Variables turn off. Then how would you cheat online?

Make it in Scratch! because it's cooler when it's made in scratch
http://i.imgur.com/D4iqPHR.png

#3 2013-01-14 14:24:53

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

There are ways to cheat proof the game, it's just more complicated. Another entire server just for an MMO is unneccessary.

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#4 2013-01-14 15:03:16

Tbtemplex97
Scratcher

What you are suggesting is a permanently ran server like a call of duty thing, where it runs separately to the client, this would take up too much resources and scratch would not be able to accommodate so many servers, the reason they are using cloud variables and not servers is that they are easy to store and do not take up much room at all.

Online Status: http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=onlineStatus&user=Tbtemplex97
Darkspace Coming Soon!, Try the Singleplayer Demo

#5 2013-01-14 20:18:00

Rub0Gameton
Scratcher

Tbtemplex97 wrote:

What you are suggesting is a permanently ran server like a call of duty thing, where it runs separately to the client, this would take up too much resources and scratch would not be able to accommodate so many servers, the reason they are using cloud variables and not servers is that they are easy to store and do not take up much room at all.

You missed the point where I said they would have to be hosted by yourself.

Are you doing a collab and need a 24/7 TeamSpeak channel? Contact me... somewhere. =P

#6 2013-01-14 20:20:41

Rub0Gameton
Scratcher

sonicfan12p wrote:

There are ways to cheat proof the game, it's just more complicated. Another entire server just for an MMO is unneccessary.

I'll think about this more in depth. I think that any person using Cheat Engine or any similar program would be able to bypass any security measures done by the client. However, if done correctly, it can easily make it a headache. We'll have to wait and see how it goes in Scratch 2.0. Thanks for your feedback!

~ End of Topic for now ~

#7 2013-01-14 20:25:02

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Rub0Gameton wrote:

sonicfan12p wrote:

I'll think about this more in depth. I think that any person using Cheat Engine or any similar program would be able to bypass any security measures done by the client. However, if done correctly, it can easily make it a headache. We'll have to wait and see how it goes in Scratch 2.0. Thanks for your feedback!

~ End of Topic for now ~

1.  People here are more civilized.  Also, they can be banned from teh game.
2.  The ST has its own security measures.  Unless you're part of Anonymous, you're not going to hack MIT.   tongue

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#8 2013-01-14 20:40:52

Rub0Gameton
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Rub0Gameton wrote:

sonicfan12p wrote:

~ End of Topic for now ~

1.  People here are more civilized.  Also, they can be banned from teh game.
2.  The ST has its own security measures.  Unless you're part of Anonymous, you're not going to hack MIT.   tongue

1. Now, that's a truth =P.
2. Wait a minute... How did you know???? (JK =P)

Board footer