This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-01-16 11:52:16

dreamod
New Scratcher

Re: Installing CommandShell in Scratch

sccar3 wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Ok, I have the code below, which is mean't to open a terminal and run a command:

Code:

Cursor wait showWhile: [ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'osascript -e ''tell app "Terminal" do script "echo hello" end tell'''].

The problem is that Squeak thinks "Terminal" and "echo hello" are comments. How can I escape the double quotes or is there another way to run the AppleScript without double quotes?

Mean't? That would mean "mean not" which is obviously not what your trying to say.

LOL. it's "you're" not "your", grammar cop ^^

#27 2013-01-16 15:41:05

dreamod
New Scratcher

dreamod wrote:

sccar3 wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Ok, I have the code below, which is mean't to open a terminal and run a command:

Code:

Cursor wait showWhile: [ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'osascript -e ''tell app "Terminal" do script "echo hello" end tell'''].

The problem is that Squeak thinks "Terminal" and "echo hello" are comments. How can I escape the double quotes or is there another way to run the AppleScript without double quotes?

Mean't? That would mean "mean not" which is obviously not what your trying to say.

LOL. it's "you're" not "your", grammar cop ^^

I hope you don't take any offense to that reply. I'm just pointing out the irony.

#28 2013-01-16 17:28:48

nXIII
Community Moderator

sccar3 wrote:

No, it would mean "mean<some omitted character(s)>t". The most probable substitution would be "mean it," as in "'tis." Following convention, "mean not" would have two "n"s, i.e., "meann't."

[/offtopic]

Last edited by nXIII (2013-01-16 17:42:50)

nXIII

#29 2013-01-16 20:47:11

nathanprocks
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

sccar3 wrote:

No, it would mean "mean<some omitted character(s)>t". The most probable substitution would be "mean it," as in "'tis." Following convention, "mean not" would have two "n"s, i.e., "meann't."

[/offtopic]

I always accidentally write "mean't" instead of "meant". Meant is the past tense of mean and it is not a contraction.  tongue

Last edited by nathanprocks (2013-01-16 20:47:32)

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&amp;display=small

#30 2013-01-16 21:10:24

nXIII
Community Moderator

nathanprocks wrote:

I always accidentally write "mean't" instead of "meant". Meant is the past tense of mean and it is not a contraction.  tongue

I know, I was speculating on what it would be if it were a contraction.

nXIII

Board footer