This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-01-04 14:58:09

Martiscratch
Scratcher

is enchanting compatible with NXT 2.0?

Although this is a question about a mod I think it would go here.

http://signaturecraft.us/signatures/eJw1yDEOgCAMBdC9p_gnICphdnA18QwoNZIAJRTD9Z184-uP74gKjxIvxi3tzaii3ZA-PjPijdgxvBpjcCYeeOtKW2Ou3OhIAbuUIOUvpdnNtDhH1tL0AQVCHgk~.png

#2 2013-01-04 15:02:15

technoboy10
Scratcher

Re: is enchanting compatible with NXT 2.0?

Since this is a question about a mod, it should go in Advanced Topics. I've asked for it to be moved.

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#3 2013-01-04 23:57:46

Hardmath123
Scratcher

I'd say it should go in Connecting to the Physical World.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is, because LeJOS works with NXT2.0, and Enchanting is basically a bridge for LeJOS.  smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#4 2013-01-24 06:26:47

clintonb
Scratcher

Hi Martiscratch.

If by NXT 2.0 you mean the actual programmable brick, yes, Enchanting works just fine with it.  (All the NXT sets -- the educational version, the NXT 1 retail set, and the NXT 2 retail set use the exact same programmable brick).

If by NXT 2.0 you mean LEGOs software to program the NXT (which is often called "NXT-G"), Enchanting is not compatible with it; the two can not work with your NXT at the same time.

Your NXT can run different operating systems, or firmwares.  When you use Enchanting, it will check if you are running the firmware that it uses, and if not, offer to change it for you.  When you want to go back to LEGO's NXT-G software, you'll need to put the standard firmware back on the NXT -- the Enchanting FAQ goes into detail on how you do this.

I hope that answers your question.

#5 2013-01-24 08:10:59

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Hi clintonb,

This is slightly off-topic, but still related to Enchanting.

We are trying to use Enchanting with Mac OSX Mountain Lion; but it doesn't work reliably. It doesn't seem to detect the NXT, so the green flag is blocked even when the NXT is connected and on.

It works around 3-4 times when we reboot the computer (taking a very long time), but then just stops.

When trying to run a sample NXJ program from Terminal directly, it gets stuck at "Uploading...".

We are using Enchanting 0.2, and the NXT is flashed with LeJOS 0.9.1. Also, we have installed the latest Fantom driver 1.1.3. There are all kinds of instructions all over the place about adding .profile files or modifying the LeJos bin directly due to 32-bit/64-bit issues, so I'm kind of confused.

Also, the firmware seems fine because it works beautifully with my grandma's Windows.

#6 2013-02-04 22:09:31

clintonb
Scratcher

Hi Hardmath123.

Hmm...  I haven't actually had a Mountain Lion machine to test with.  What message do you get when you click on the green flag after it has stopped talking to it?

I have seen similar issues where it just ceases to communicate, even in Enchanting 0.2.3, which fixes additional bugs, especially related to communication.  I need to drill into it more deeply to figure out what is actually going on.

I've never had to mess with .profile files or 32/64 bit versions of things under OS X 10.7.

I wish I had a better answer for you.  I take it that just quitting and restarting Enchanting doesn't solve the issue?  (I find that the works much of the time when there is a communication glitch).

Oh, and I have a forum here where I'll be watching much more consistently for questions [and then one need not guess if it is an 'advanced topics' or 'connecting to the physical world' question].

#7 2013-02-05 06:03:31

Hardmath123
Scratcher

I suppose I'll reply one the other thread in the ATs.

Board footer