This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2013-04-13 14:02:35

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Re: The Gaming Standards: Offering the most detailed reviews.

updated!  big_smile

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#102 2013-04-13 15:38:28

fredmaster45
Scratcher

hey borrego you need to forget your first review of my game a review it on the full version.  I don't mean to sound rude or anything, I'm just saying I have a project that YOU might remember.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/fredmaster45/3238336

Ps. how do you make a signature on here?

#103 2013-04-13 16:50:04

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Where it says "show new posts since last visit", click on the blue banner above it where it says "profile" >> "personality" >> type box.

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#104 2013-04-13 16:51:29

infinitytec
Scratcher

Doors V!
|
|
\/

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/infinitytec/2654336_med.png

#105 2013-04-13 18:17:57

Borrego6165
Scratcher

infinitytec wrote:

Doors V!
|
|
\/

There's so many changes that I'll give you a few in a mini review before wasting both our times by writing a full review. I imagine you only want this reviewing because you're looking for ideas for your upcoming Doors VI, although if you're going to make another one then try to make it a lot different. Each 'sequel' feels like an update/patch to the last version. Once these issues are fixed, I'll be looking forward to seeing if this OS can beat NorthOS 2, which is still featured after so many months.

Here's my issues:
+I have no idea what to do when I see the two doors at the start. When speech bubbles start popping everywhere, I struggle to read each one, as they overlap each other. A text box would be neater and more professional.
+The colour scheme is hideous. Fair enough you can change this, but no matter what I do (with the exception of yellow) it looks horrible. Oh, and multi-colour doesn't seem to work. You see, because the colours fade from the chosen colour (blue) to white, it means that unless you have a light colour (like yellow), the white and that chosen colour don't mix.
+If you don't want people to remix this, don't upload it to scratch.
+For ping, it should tell you to click on it to activate it. Also, the 'pixel ball' sometimes goes behind the paddle, but still goes through the paddle in the other direction. Everything seems to move really slowly too. Even if it's meant to get faster over time, I was so bored that I couldn't wait.
+Don't use text boxes for the other buttons, or any buttons, just for people talking. When you highlight multiple buttons, your screen gets clogged and it's so difficult to read them. Plus there's a long delay for them to go off when you take your mouse off the buttons.
+Track# seemed to go on endlessly when I clicked on the music player.
+You should be told how to set the background, as for ages I couldn't work out that the viewer merely shows a preview of the background, and that you have to click on the preview to change it. There's too much guess work in this OS, yet these are meant to have a purpose, and make life easier for the user.

#106 2013-04-14 17:16:29

infinitytec
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Doors V!
|
|
\/

There's so many changes that I'll give you a few in a mini review before wasting both our times by writing a full review. I imagine you only want this reviewing because you're looking for ideas for your upcoming Doors VI, although if you're going to make another one then try to make it a lot different. Each 'sequel' feels like an update/patch to the last version. Once these issues are fixed, I'll be looking forward to seeing if this OS can beat NorthOS 2, which is still featured after so many months.

Here's my issues:
+I have no idea what to do when I see the two doors at the start. When speech bubbles start popping everywhere, I struggle to read each one, as they overlap each other. A text box would be neater and more professional.
+The colour scheme is hideous. Fair enough you can change this, but no matter what I do (with the exception of yellow) it looks horrible. Oh, and multi-colour doesn't seem to work. You see, because the colours fade from the chosen colour (blue) to white, it means that unless you have a light colour (like yellow), the white and that chosen colour don't mix.
+If you don't want people to remix this, don't upload it to scratch.
+For ping, it should tell you to click on it to activate it. Also, the 'pixel ball' sometimes goes behind the paddle, but still goes through the paddle in the other direction. Everything seems to move really slowly too. Even if it's meant to get faster over time, I was so bored that I couldn't wait.
+Don't use text boxes for the other buttons, or any buttons, just for people talking. When you highlight multiple buttons, your screen gets clogged and it's so difficult to read them. Plus there's a long delay for them to go off when you take your mouse off the buttons.
+Track# seemed to go on endlessly when I clicked on the music player.
+You should be told how to set the background, as for ages I couldn't work out that the viewer merely shows a preview of the background, and that you have to click on the preview to change it. There's too much guess work in this OS, yet these are meant to have a purpose, and make life easier for the user.

Thanks! I will try to use those ideas in Doors 6!

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/infinitytec/2654336_med.png

#107 2013-04-16 16:16:43

coinman
Scratcher

Can you review Snowball Fight?

Click the picture below to play my best game yet, Snowball Fight!
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/coinman/3221194_sm.png

#108 2013-04-21 06:44:51

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Snowball Fight

"Please hit love it."

Game Design 5/10
A child-friendly top-down shooting game sounds cool in theory, but it has not been executed to its potential. There is no multi-player mode for example, nor is there a way to adjust the speed and accuracy of the CPU enemy to make it more enjoyable for various player types. Therefore, this game is not as addictive as similar games, such as Splatter (review link), that scored a fairly high 76/100. The option to only have one level to choose from also affects how fun this is. Still, it gains marks for being a semi-cool shooting game, and at least there is a shop to buy upgrades.

Originality 6/10
There are not many shooter games on scratch, especially top-down ones, however whilst this gains points for that, it cannot score much higher than above average because of the lack of extra features like level select, level creators, and AI adjustors.

Ease Of Use 3/5
The game is very easy to pick up and start playing, along with the fact that the tutorial is nice and simple. It would have been better if you could choose between WASD and the arrow keys, or just had the arrow keys. The arrow keys should get priority, as it is the most obvious choice when you are trying to work out what buttons to press. If you haven't played many games before, you may not realise that WASD is used a lot. This would have still scored five if the tutorial mentioned that you have to use WASD, but because it did not, this can only score three.

Difficulty Balance 3/5
The enemy was quite hard to shoot, but its snowballs were too easy to avoid. Really, this is the opposite of what it should be. Also, there could have easily been a way to implement multiple speeds and difficulty settings for the enemy, plus a multi-player mode would have made this even harder! Of course, the normal setting can be left for newer players. Nevertheless, there is a small amount of challenge.

Graphics 3/5
The graphics are average, and they are neat and not rushed. Maybe if the snowy background looked like snow and not random black lines, plus the enemy would face the direction it was throwing snowballs, then this would have score higher. To get the full marks, endless falling snow and snow-blasts (when hit) would be needed.

Sound 2/5
The game had one sound effect, which makes one out of two points for the sound effects. The problem with the music was that it was unsuitable. One point for implementing some, however, for the full three marks for music, it should not sound like it belongs in a jungle environment.

Firing Round 6/10
Reliability 2/2
0 (Very Glitchy) 1 (A few glitches) 2 (Hardly any glitches)
Game Length 1/2
0 (Too Short) 1 (Descent Length) 2 (Long lasting or endless)
Game Pace 1/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 1/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 1/2
0 (Simple to make) 1 (Fairly advanced) 2 (It was very complex)

Overall Experience 25/50
This left me bored, and unsatisfied. It was an average experience, but nothing more. Just a few changes could make this score soar like crazy.

TOTAL: 53/100

Key
0-19 I could have made that in my sleep!
20-39 Needs a lot of work.
40-59 An average project I suppose.
60-79 Quite a cool project.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of tweaking.
95-100 You're the top cat!

#109 2013-04-27 02:05:34

Borrego6165
Scratcher

any more?

#110 2013-04-30 16:23:57

Borrego6165
Scratcher

bump

Board footer