This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2013-04-05 15:21:51

prokohtu
Scratcher

Re: The Gaming Standards: Offering the most detailed reviews.

ok i think now it is FINALLY ready for reviewing

Scratch's most realistic F1 simulator
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qIdF-SzbTzw/UU29tK-FYvI/AAAAAAAAAOs/vRFKr1Iwldc/s225/logo.jpg

#77 2013-04-05 15:32:27

Borrego6165
Scratcher

prokohtu wrote:

ok i think now it is FINALLY ready for reviewing

erm read the post before this?

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#78 2013-04-05 20:21:41

fredmaster45
Scratcher

hey could you do this one it is a simple but challenging game.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/fredmaster45/3238336

#79 2013-04-06 10:58:02

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Dodging Squares

"Collect 10 red squares to win while avoiding the DARK GREY GUY."

Game Design 10/10
This is a simple, fun and addictive game. The fact that it sounds so simple to collect ten items, but when you try to it's near impossible, makes this even more addictive then any other arcade game on scratch. Nothing much else to say, really.

Originality 6/10
Avoiding moving objects whilst collecting things is not that unique, but the style is. There's a cool design scrolling in the background, even if there are one or two little hiccups in the way it scrolls. A game full of squares and lines doesn't deserve many points for originality, but it can be made up by the fun game-play and the fact that everything is scrolling downwards. There is something strangely fresh about this game, even though there is nothing I can list as being original. So, it's fresh, it's got cool game-play and good graphics. Maybe a leader-board and some power ups would make this more unique. Nevertheless, it still deserves an above average (but not a sensational score) of six.

Ease Of Use 1/5
There was no in-game tutorial, so I never knew whether or not I should have used the mouse or not. I kept using my arrow keys, then WASD, and then I thought that maybe it's because flash player wasn't activated properly, so I was about to click the window when I realised that the square was controlled with the mouse. I did not count the project notes as a tutorial because if this was ported to another site, this would not be seen on the screen. This would have gotten zero, however, once you know what to use it is very easy to work out what is going on, so one point.

Difficulty Balance 4/5
The game was challenging, but this was not too bad as long as you kept your cursor in the corner of the screen for some time. You see, the AI for the evil square is not programmed to follow you. Instead, it picks random routes. Because of this, there is no way to predict where the enemy square is heading, and so it is more about good luck then skill. For this, it is unfair, but the challenge is still good enough to deserve a four.

Graphics 5/5
The graphics were not stunning, but nor were they bad. Five points because of the smooth animations, which even run at their maximum frames per second in full-screen flash mode (which is quite rare)!

Sound 5/5
There were indeed sound effects, and there was suitable (and good sounding) music in the background.

Firing Round 8/10
Reliability 2/2
0 (Very Glitchy) 1 (A few glitches) 2 (Hardly any glitches)
Game Length 1/2
0 (Too Short) 1 (Descent Length) 2 (Long lasting or endless)
Game Pace 2/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 2/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 1/2
0 (Simple to make) 1 (Fairly advanced) 2 (It was very complex)

Overall Experience 35/50
This left me in a good (although frustrating) mood! I was indeed very entertained, and that's what matters. Saying that, it never blew me away. By tomorrow I will have forgotten all about it, and there's no point to replaying it, other then to collect all ten dots (hence why it scored 2/2 above). Moreover, I'm glad to reward this project with an above average experience score, but nothing more. I'm still yet to find a project that gives me the satisfaction and memories that I am looking for.

I've worked out how to get this project to the 80 level. If the enemy AI was improved (and given some sort of character), then the difficulty balance would have gone up to five (giving it 75) plus a short tutorial (bringing it to 79) plus some sort of story behind the villain, and why you must collect the items would increase the experience by about five (giving this 84).

TOTAL: 74/100

Key
0-19 I could have made that in my sleep!
20-39 Needs a lot of work.
40-59 An average project I suppose.
60-79 Quite a cool project.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of tweaking.
95-100 You're the top cat!

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#80 2013-04-06 17:21:07

fredmaster45
Scratcher

I'll work on it and do your suggestions.  Thanks for doing this I didn't know what else to add.

#81 2013-04-06 17:50:01

Borrego6165
Scratcher

you're welcome!

#82 2013-04-06 18:00:41

Blayer98
Scratcher

wow WHY DON'T PEOPLE LOOK AT MY PROJECTS!??

http://i50.tinypic.com/16lwmlj.png
The first Collab to have it's very own Cloud Variables! Coming Soon!

#83 2013-04-07 03:45:10

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Blayer98 wrote:

wow WHY DON'T PEOPLE LOOK AT MY PROJECTS!??

if you're asking for a review please leave a link, if you're just spamming then please don't. sorry about theme hospital  hmm

#84 2013-04-07 11:11:21

normal_girl
Scratcher

Hi, I actually have an animation for you to review, but I saw that you mainly reviewed games, so yeah. If you can't review my animation, would you be as kind to review this game for me? It's sort of bad, it my first game after all. XD
Thanks.  tongue

Last edited by normal_girl (2013-04-07 11:12:10)

This will be replaced by an awesome sig from here soon!  big_smile  http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=normal_girl&action=onlineStatus&online=http://i41.tinypic.com/314ast1.jpg&offline=http://i42.tinypic.com/24g9j5h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fJGCgWC.png

#85 2013-04-07 22:52:50

fredmaster45
Scratcher

#86 2013-04-08 14:57:27

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Updating soon...

#87 2013-04-08 15:01:10

custardncream8
New Scratcher

Review Rocket Rush please (I can give you the code if you want

#88 2013-04-10 12:15:25

Kao
Scratcher

Wow. You're making awesome reviews! Would you look at my project Monster Hunter 3? I spent a lot of time on it and I'd like to know what others think about it. Link in my signature  smile

http://mein.salzburg.com/interessen/spiele_trends/assets_c/2010/05/logo-thumb-200xauto-52789.jpg
Let the Ultimate Hunt Begin!

#89 2013-04-12 12:54:05

Borrego6165
Scratcher

All updated!

#90 2013-04-12 12:59:40

NamorTheFirst
New Scratcher

please could you search for a gallery called NamorTheFirst games and look at Triangle Man? (Not the expansion)

#91 2013-04-13 05:41:03

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Triangle Man

"It involves an alien obsessed with triangles who must drop triangles onto blue rectangles."

Game Design 6/10
This game was addicting, and fun too! There was also an interesting (although nothing sensational) plot with this. However, I felt that whilst the levels differed from each other with moving objects and disappearing objects, and that level with the "teleports", that was really it. There could have been a level or two where you are at the bottom of the screen, and you have to shoot upwards, whilst making sure you shoot hard enough or the triangle will fall back down. There could also have been more obstacles, such as conveyor belts that will move the triangle, but these constantly change direction. Still, the levels were challenging, and the idea was good, so it gets a slightly above average score of six.

Originality 5/10
I've seen games like this before, and whilst the plot can save up a few points, the lack of innovative levels cannot. So, with more levels of varying types, a more interesting character, and even background changes to make us believe that we are on multiple planets or different parts of space, this could get a much higher score. This gets an average originality score for the plot and slightly unique game idea.

Ease Of Use 5/5
My hands were in a comfortable position the whole time, and I did not come across any problems with forgetting the controls, plus there was a quick tutorial to read from inside the game.

Difficulty Balance 3/5
Because there are only five levels, the difficulty races from easy to "fiendish" way too quickly. Nevertheless, even with the top most difficult levels, the game is very short. The fact that it starts easy and becomes harder is a plus, but points must be lost for the steep curve and the lack of levels.

Graphics 2/5
The graphics were mostly bland, simple and uninteresting. Maybe some interesting backgrounds, a more detailed main character, as well as neatening the story sequence at the end would have upped the score. Below average marks awarded.

Sound 0/5
There were no sound effects or any music.

Firing Round 5/10
Reliability 2/2
Game Length 0/2
Game Pace 1/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 2/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 0/2

Overall Experience 20/50
This left me feeling disappointed. The game was way too short, and there wasn't enough variety in these levels. The plot if fine, except it would be better if it was extended to the beginning of the game too, rather than just at the end. This could have been more memorable and addicting if there was a slower increase of difficulty, spread over many levels. You see, when you get to level 5, if you are struggling you may think "Ahh, I'll just leave it." But, if you're on something as high as level 30, you'll think "Just one more go..." The problem is, the game is too short to be addicting and memorable, except the Game Design score was high because the levels which were there were addicting themselves. This gets an average mark, because it wasn't all that memorable, there was little variety or any levels at all, and the fact that an expansion pack was brought out early suggests that the creator is trying to spread the number of views they get over multiple projects, each with barely anything in them. This scores below average, but it wasn't terrible.

TOTAL: 46/100

Key

#92 2013-04-13 07:15:00

dsaztur
Scratcher

Please review terminator facility.

http://i43.tinypic.com/14slmx.png

#93 2013-04-13 09:11:30

jamiewinter
Scratcher

could you review supreme os and pix rrpg base plz there both not in full version and I want to see what I can improve on (pix rpg is a collab)

Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/axelregulator/featured

#94 2013-04-13 09:29:40

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Terminator Facility

"Yeah, my first platfomer. Hope you like it. I'll be adding more stuff soon."

Game Design 3/10
Let's start with something funny. Well, it was funny to me anyway. When I first saw level one, I predicted that the next level would have either a standard pillar or a red obstacle in the centre to jump over. I was correct! It was a small black pillar in the centre of the screen. Then I predicted that level three would either make you need some sort of wall bouncing ability (a tall wall) or have you jumping over something red. Yet again, it was a red pillar. Then, in level four, there I saw a tall black wall! You want to know how I predicted these? It is the same set of levels that I have played on many platform games. Fair enough, the later ones have their fair share of flare, but the tutorial was a joke. Just like most other platform games, a bouncing dot, tips on the walls(?), and there was no art style.

Now, I have to be careful not to mix up all of the categories. Whilst the first few levels smash down the originality points, they also affect the pacing, and the overall addictiveness of the game. Being able to predict what is coming up next, and the fact that I have only just reviewed another platform game this morning (it's now afternoon by the way) made the design bland, if not down-right copied. Nevertheless, there are some cool parts, including the Ferris Wheel, except the problem with this is that you can't actually ride it. I tried, and the only way to win was to keep falling until the exit was near enough to reach it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but being forced to die doesn't sound like ingenious game design; thankfully you get unlimited lives though.

So, do I put the predictive levels under here or originality? I'd say... both. This section can only score a three, because at least the gradually increasing difficulty is welcomed, and the platform formula is used well in some parts.

Originality 1/10
There is very little that I can say here. However, let me praise the story. So what if I had to load the project twice just to read it (ease of use score), at least one was made. It is actually a cool story, which is better than what has been created in other games. Sadly, this did not help the game-play. There were no guards chasing me (except a random red ball, which was slow), there were no locked doors with keys (edit: there was one, but it strangely made a whole wall disappear, so it's not a key as such), or secrets to be found. I never felt that I was escaping anything. Fair enough that if you're trying to escape, you wouldn't be hunting for bonuses (so no points lost for that), however, the whole place is empty! Is it bank holiday weekend? Are they all home for Christmas? Did the guards forget to lock the doors before they left, because there is nothing here suggesting that this character is being hunted.

This could have started with a scene where the player (a real person, not a ball) has managed to escape to the staff room/leisure area, where there is gym equipment and tips on boards. This would have sorted out the deja vu tutorial issue. So, the screen fades into the gym, and you learn all of the moves. After this, you then have to explore the labs to find the exit. This section can be as short or as long as the creator decides. Eventually, you'll find the security offices near the exit, but the exit is locked by a master key. So, you must go through the offices (a heavily protected area, it is where the guards are having their coffee breaks after all) to find the key. Getting the key sets the alarm, and you have to rush to get out. Bells and sirens could be ringing, flashing lights could be in every corridor, oh how fun would that be!? Fair enough, there are already break out games out there, but how many 2D scrolling, scratch-made ones are there?

There is so much potential, and for that this gets a flat one for at least having the short plot.

Ease Of Use 4/5
The tutorial was simple, and the controls were easy to master. The plot was on too quickly, so the option to turn it off when you like would have been better. Four points.

Difficulty Balance 4/5
This game started easy and got harder. If it wasn't for that suicidal Ferris Wheel level, this would have scored the full whacking five!

Graphics 2/5
Nice gradient fills, but messy and simple shapes ruin this. The ball is just a ball, which doesn't even look the other way when you move it in the other direction. Two points for the gradient fill and the smooth animation for the logo and the buttons that change when you highlight them, but everything else was scruffy. The straight line tool wasn't even used for the sword's handle in the logo!

Sound 2/5
There was a sound effect, so one point out of two for effects. However, I were not keen on the music. Games have to appeal to all sorts of players, hence why they usually have generic (or sometimes ground-braking) music to appeal to many people, rather than music from the charts, which only the artist's fans will like. This would have scored two out of three for music, however because the volume control metre did not work (presentation mode) it can only score a one. At least music was put in.

Firing Round 4/10
Reliability 2/2
Game Length 1/2
Game Pace 0/2
Replay Value 0/2
Programming 0/2

Overall Experience 20/50
This game was not original (despite it's story), it was bland, predictable, and in some ways, boring. Instead of me leaving it feeling excited but scared and tense, it left me disappointed and bored. The platform formula still has some life in it, but games like these are pushing it to the limit (in the wrong direction). We keep getting the same game over and over again, yet the solutions are so simple. Better story, realistic locations, and a great character is needed to get this score up. If I could just feel some joy from playing this game, then I would have had a great experience. It was not a terrible experience, but it was worse than average.

TOTAL: 40/100

Key

#95 2013-04-13 10:53:55

dsaztur
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

Terminator Facility

"Yeah, my first platfomer. Hope you like it. I'll be adding more stuff soon."

Game Design 3/10
Let's start with something funny. Well, it was funny to me anyway. When I first saw level one, I predicted that the next level would have either a standard pillar or a red obstacle in the centre to jump over. I was correct! It was a small black pillar in the centre of the screen. Then I predicted that level three would either make you need some sort of wall bouncing ability (a tall wall) or have you jumping over something red. Yet again, it was a red pillar. Then, in level four, there I saw a tall black wall! You want to know how I predicted these? It is the same set of levels that I have played on many platform games. Fair enough, the later ones have their fair share of flare, but the tutorial was a joke. Just like most other platform games, a bouncing dot, tips on the walls(?), and there was no art style.

Now, I have to be careful not to mix up all of the categories. Whilst the first few levels smash down the originality points, they also affect the pacing, and the overall addictiveness of the game. Being able to predict what is coming up next, and the fact that I have only just reviewed another platform game this morning (it's now afternoon by the way) made the design bland, if not down-right copied. Nevertheless, there are some cool parts, including the Ferris Wheel, except the problem with this is that you can't actually ride it. I tried, and the only way to win was to keep falling until the exit was near enough to reach it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but being forced to die doesn't sound like ingenious game design; thankfully you get unlimited lives though.

So, do I put the predictive levels under here or originality? I'd say... both. This section can only score a three, because at least the gradually increasing difficulty is welcomed, and the platform formula is used well in some parts.

Originality 1/10
There is very little that I can say here. However, let me praise the story. So what if I had to load the project twice just to read it (ease of use score), at least one was made. It is actually a cool story, which is better than what has been created in other games. Sadly, this did not help the game-play. There were no guards chasing me (except a random red ball, which was slow), there were no locked doors with keys (edit: there was one, but it strangely made a whole wall disappear, so it's not a key as such), or secrets to be found. I never felt that I was escaping anything. Fair enough that if you're trying to escape, you wouldn't be hunting for bonuses (so no points lost for that), however, the whole place is empty! Is it bank holiday weekend? Are they all home for Christmas? Did the guards forget to lock the doors before they left, because there is nothing here suggesting that this character is being hunted.

This could have started with a scene where the player (a real person, not a ball) has managed to escape to the staff room/leisure area, where there is gym equipment and tips on boards. This would have sorted out the deja vu tutorial issue. So, the screen fades into the gym, and you learn all of the moves. After this, you then have to explore the labs to find the exit. This section can be as short or as long as the creator decides. Eventually, you'll find the security offices near the exit, but the exit is locked by a master key. So, you must go through the offices (a heavily protected area, it is where the guards are having their coffee breaks after all) to find the key. Getting the key sets the alarm, and you have to rush to get out. Bells and sirens could be ringing, flashing lights could be in every corridor, oh how fun would that be!? Fair enough, there are already break out games out there, but how many 2D scrolling, scratch-made ones are there?

There is so much potential, and for that this gets a flat one for at least having the short plot.

Ease Of Use 4/5
The tutorial was simple, and the controls were easy to master. The plot was on too quickly, so the option to turn it off when you like would have been better. Four points.

Difficulty Balance 4/5
This game started easy and got harder. If it wasn't for that suicidal Ferris Wheel level, this would have scored the full whacking five!

Graphics 2/5
Nice gradient fills, but messy and simple shapes ruin this. The ball is just a ball, which doesn't even look the other way when you move it in the other direction. Two points for the gradient fill and the smooth animation for the logo and the buttons that change when you highlight them, but everything else was scruffy. The straight line tool wasn't even used for the sword's handle in the logo!

Sound 2/5
There was a sound effect, so one point out of two for effects. However, I were not keen on the music. Games have to appeal to all sorts of players, hence why they usually have generic (or sometimes ground-braking) music to appeal to many people, rather than music from the charts, which only the artist's fans will like. This would have scored two out of three for music, however because the volume control metre did not work (presentation mode) it can only score a one. At least music was put in.

Firing Round 4/10
Reliability 2/2
Game Length 1/2
Game Pace 0/2
Replay Value 0/2
Programming 0/2

Overall Experience 20/50
This game was not original (despite it's story), it was bland, predictable, and in some ways, boring. Instead of me leaving it feeling excited but scared and tense, it left me disappointed and bored. The platform formula still has some life in it, but games like these are pushing it to the limit (in the wrong direction). We keep getting the same game over and over again, yet the solutions are so simple. Better story, realistic locations, and a great character is needed to get this score up. If I could just feel some joy from playing this game, then I would have had a great experience. It was not a terrible experience, but it was worse than average.

TOTAL: 40/100

Key

Thanks! I'll definitely add that in the second part.

http://i43.tinypic.com/14slmx.png

#96 2013-04-13 11:18:42

Borrego6165
Scratcher

supreme os

"Constantly being updated."

OS Design 3/10
You can tell that this is not finished, before you even open this. I'm not sure what update this will be fixed in, but the title "supreme os" has no capital letters!

Whether to blame the graphics or the design, I'm not sure, as the only interface that looked good was the main one, yet that was mostly ripped from google. The logo, the password set, and the user selection screens were all badly designed. Speech bubbles appear out of buttons, and there seems to be no point in setting a password when there is only one account, and there is nothing in the account that would need to be hidden. It's just a 'look-good' feature that doesn't look good, and all it does is increase the length of time you have to wait before you can start using the main OS.

What this OS does is not clear, and the slow start affects the pace of this. At least every button that is meant to work does works, and the main interface is neatly at the bottom of the screen. Three points.

Originality 0/10
The apps are seen in nearly every OS, there is no unique style to this, it's just a bland OS with an unneccessary colourful password-creator screen. Even the apps themselves don't have unique twists, and the settings screen with "no settings yet" sure doesn't help make this original.

Ease Of Use 5/5
It was very easy to use.

Purpose 1/5
This OS seems to have no purpose, other than to replicate every other scratch-based OS, by including Paint, Pong and a music player. It does have the typewriter, but because it doesn't work, it cannot count towards any points. The password system also has no point when there are no user settings to save and protect, and there is only one user anyway. Still, one point can be made because the purpose of this is to give us a glimpse of what the full OS may look like.

Graphics 1/5
The graphics were messy, and even the ripped ones from google were not fitted properly. The typewriter image was the worst affected, and some of the buttons had white edges. This scores a bad one point because the backgrounds were nice, which i don't mind being from google.

Sound 3/5
There was a sound effect (possibly more than one) so one point, plus there were two tunes, except there was no way for me to switch the music off. Instead, it would keep restarting. Two points for the available music, one for the sound effect. Maybe more song choices and more effects would get this maximum points.

Firing Round 5/10
Reliability 1/2
OS Features 1/2
0 (Too Little) 1 (Descent Amount) 2 (Long lasting, huge variety)
OS FPS 2/2
0 (Very slow) 1 (Decent) 2 (No lag)
Replay Value 0/2
Programming 1/2

Overall Experience 5/50
This was an OS with no purpose, bad design, and not unqiue. I left it feeling fed up, and like that I had achieved nothing using it. Although the Pong game was fun, it was ripped from the scratch resources. The typewriter was not functional, and the password creator was a waste of time. This was a bad experience, and I would not recommend this to anyone. Five points rewarded still, because the apps gave me little fun.

TOTAL: 23/100

Key

#97 2013-04-13 11:38:03

jamiewinter
Scratcher

thanks for 1 of 2 reviews and I didn't rip the pong game from the scratch resources I just used that sprite

#98 2013-04-13 13:06:02

Borrego6165
Scratcher

jamiewinter wrote:

thanks for 1 of 2 reviews and I didn't rip the pong game from the scratch resources I just used that sprite

Fair enough.

#99 2013-04-13 13:14:16

jamiewinter
Scratcher

are you gonna review pix rpg base

#100 2013-04-13 13:54:41

jamiewinter
Scratcher

I know you wont then yet. And I know you kinda did on my project but could you tell me what I could improve but with more detail. Check on its progress sometime too ive already implemented one of ur ideas but kinda tweaked it

Board footer