This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-01-01 15:42:52

calebxy
Scratcher

Re: Ridiculous Inventions

mythbusteranimator wrote:

I posted a reply.

Thanks.  big_smile  So what do you think of the blog?

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#27 2013-01-01 15:46:13

calebxy
Scratcher

bananaman114 wrote:

you are definitely going to need more surface area if you want those gloves to  work
youll never be able to hold yourself up with one hand with those
you're right this is ridiculous

Well, as I mentioned in the blog, I'm first going to make not gloves, but fairly large boards, like in Prototype This. So that definitely has a better chance of working.

And no, I'm pretty sure it's not the surface area that counts, considering how an actual gecko works.

#28 2013-01-01 16:14:17

TheBajeebas
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

you are definitely going to need more surface area if you want those gloves to  work

Well, as I mentioned in the blog, I'm first going to make not gloves, but fairly large boards, like in Prototype This. So that definitely has a better chance of working.

And no, I'm pretty sure it's not the surface area that counts, considering how an actual gecko works.

Doesn't seem very practical if you have huge boards like the ones in the video.

http://i.imgur.com/jOkeD.jpg

#29 2013-01-01 16:16:59

calebxy
Scratcher

TheBajeebas wrote:

calebxy wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

Doesn't seem very practical if you have huge boards like the ones in the video.

What...? I'm not planning on going around fighting crime with these.  tongue  I just want to see if I can do it.

#30 2013-01-02 09:47:22

calebxy
Scratcher

No one has anything to say about the other two projects?

#31 2013-01-02 09:58:49

PonyvilleSlugger
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

A gecko is light, you're trying to hold up ~50kg with a 5x10cm surface area with hooks going ~1cm into the brittle brick wall, that's a recipe for disaster.

♫ 8% of teens pretend to be morally superior due to the music they listen to. If you are one of the 92% of teens who don't, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪
http://i46.tinypic.com/waj11e.gif

#32 2013-01-02 10:01:45

calebxy
Scratcher

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

calebxy wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

A gecko is light, you're trying to hold up ~50kg with a 5x10cm surface area with hooks going ~1cm into the brittle brick wall, that's a recipe for disaster.

I know. But what I'm trying to say it, the whole point of how a gecko does it is that it has microscopically small hairs all over its feet, and its feet aren't any bigger than an average lizard. So I am certain that it is the amount of hairs that is important, not the surface area.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-01-02 10:03:22)

#33 2013-01-02 10:09:29

PonyvilleSlugger
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

calebxy wrote:

I know. But what I'm trying to say it, the whole point of how a gecko does it is that it has microscopically small hairs all over its feet, and its feet aren't any bigger than an average lizard. So I am certain that it is the amount of hairs that is important, not the surface area.

The surface area determines how many hooks/hairs/whatever will fit, you could have a commercial grade 1x1cm suction cup, it doesn't matter how strong it is in the end it's still covering a 1x1 area.

♫ 8% of teens pretend to be morally superior due to the music they listen to. If you are one of the 92% of teens who don't, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪
http://i46.tinypic.com/waj11e.gif

#34 2013-01-02 10:17:42

calebxy
Scratcher

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

calebxy wrote:

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

The surface area determines how many hooks/hairs/whatever will fit, you could have a commercial grade 1x1cm suction cup, it doesn't matter how strong it is in the end it's still covering a 1x1 area.

So yes, the point is how many you can fit. And the smaller they are, the more you can fit.

I don't see you're point about the suction cup. The surface area doesn't matter; it's the strength. To use a different device as an example (because the strength of suction cups can only vary so much) a neodymium magnet only a few centimetres across can hold a person.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-01-02 17:55:16)

#35 2013-01-02 18:02:50

calebxy
Scratcher

Bump, because I'm going to bed now.

And again, anyone have anything to say about the other two projects?

Last edited by calebxy (2013-01-02 18:03:01)

#36 2013-01-03 00:38:37

bananaman114
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

calebxy wrote:

what about weight

the sun still shines

#37 2013-01-03 01:06:13

luiysia
Scratcher

bananaman114 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

what about weight

or the fact that a gecko's feet work on a microscopic level to stick to things and you're using (I'm assuming) very very non microscopic fishhooks.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#38 2013-01-03 02:28:31

fillergames
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

what about weight

or the fact that a gecko's feet work on a microscopic level to stick to things and you're using (I'm assuming) very very non microscopic fishhooks.

Just use magnets. The Trolls aways seem to use them? Why not make it metal walls only?

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ufvxc5_th.gif Grammer? Whats grammar?

#39 2013-01-03 05:12:58

calebxy
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

what about weight

Which give much better grip on a rough wall.

#40 2013-01-03 18:17:19

calebxy
Scratcher

Here's the latest post, with me explaining at length how I'm going to make the web shooters: http://ridiculous-inventions.weebly.com … -work.html

#41 2013-01-03 18:29:17

bananaman114
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

luiysia wrote:

bananaman114 wrote:

what about weight

Which give much better grip on a rough wall.

i don't see how

the sun still shines

#42 2013-01-04 14:53:32

calebxy
Scratcher

I thing should just end this particular conversation, because we're never going to agree.  tongue  I'm trying it no matter what any one else says, so we'll find out if it works eventually...

Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about the web shooters, or the Iron Man suit? Or just the blog in general?

#43 2013-01-04 21:18:13

Mokat
Scratcher

That seems awesome.
If they work, you should get them patented and then put them on the market. I would totally buy them.  big_smile

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#44 2013-01-05 06:39:26

calebxy
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

That seems awesome.
If they work, you should get them patented and then put them on the market. I would totally buy them.  big_smile

Thanks.  big_smile  Are you the person who commented on it?

Oh, I don't know about that.  tongue  You have to pay to get something patented, don't you?

#45 2013-01-06 17:32:05

calebxy
Scratcher

I have now revealed how I'm planning on achieving the vitally important aspect of the web shooters: http://ridiculous-inventions.weebly.com … -part.html

#46 2013-01-07 09:19:05

calebxy
Scratcher

Bump

#47 2013-01-07 21:45:06

owetre18
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

@owetre18 What are you talking about?

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm talking about this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef0b/

#48 2013-01-08 03:17:19

calebxy
Scratcher

owetre18 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

@owetre18 What are you talking about?

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm talking about this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef0b/

lol

#49 2013-01-09 13:03:54

calebxy
Scratcher

bump

#50 2013-01-10 17:32:39

calebxy
Scratcher

Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll see if I can find that other remote control car, take it apart and get the two motors from it. Then I'll try and begin putting the web shooter together at last.

Board footer