This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#151 2013-01-24 17:33:33

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Re: The Evil Banana: a side scroller made in Python/Pygame

What the...? It was moved again!

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#152 2013-01-25 11:19:59

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Errr...., report a glitch?

#153 2013-01-25 12:15:06

OrcaCat
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

Errr...., report a glitch?

It wasn't a glitch, I guess the moderators decided it belonged here.

#154 2013-01-26 05:34:07

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Hardly. This may be python, but it isn't off topic, and we really need a nice reliable artist. Hmmm. I can think of loads of artists who we could rely on, but people join collaborations because they want to, not because someone asked.

#155 2013-01-26 11:38:55

Dets65
Scratcher

Are you going to update for python 3.3? I don't know if this supports pygame, but I would assume yes.

Heh. HEH HEH HEH... BTW, your fission has been mailed. link to blacksmith collab: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=106923

#156 2013-01-26 17:29:54

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Dets65 wrote:

Are you going to update for python 3.3? I don't know if this supports pygame, but I would assume yes.

No, Python 3 didn't work with Pygame.

#157 2013-01-27 23:54:03

danielson799
Scratcher

I don't have pygame, but I would like to help you with this project.

#158 2013-01-28 09:24:46

legoboy09
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Hello! This is a game called Metaphysics. It will be coded in Python/Pygame and will be a side-scrolling platformer (like Mario).
Requirements:
Python 2.7
Pygame for Python 2.7
If you want to join, tell me.
So far we have:

Artists (music and graphics):
OrcaCat (music) http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?acti … er=OrcaCat
pinnipediator (animation, sound) http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?acti … nipediator

Concept and ideas:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/k1xt2e.jpg
1. Your energy bar. (numbers will be added) Using attacks, hovering, and sprinting uses this energy. A is hyper beam (shoots a beam to the right or left, depending on your direction). S is Meteor mash (short range but high powered punch attack). D is Earthquake (hurts all enemies on the ground, shakes the screen). W is hover (Magnet Rise). Space is sprint. Your energy will slowly gain when NOT attacking, hovering, or sprinting. Sprinting increases your speed. If you run out of energy, you will be immobile until your and lose some HP.
2. Your HP. (numbers will be added) When you run out of HP, you lose.
3. You. You try to defeat enemies and escape the city before being KO'ed or captured.
4. A failed attempt at drawing a Team Rocket member.
5. Enemies who will try to shoot/catch you.
More ideas:
Wild Pokemon to heal/attack you.
You start off in a cave, not remembering anything. You realize that Team Rocket captured you and is going to turn you into an evil shadow Pokemon. You try to escape.
Power ups: berries (HP and energy), temporary invincibility, raised speed, raised attack.
Leveling up, gain exp., gain moves, abilities, etc.
Final boss battle is against a shadow Pseudo Legendary.
Frenzy mode where you have infinite Energy and you go around shooting targets.
Options GUI made in Tkinter including sound FX on/off, music on/off, sound level, difficulty (start at "easy", by beating a difficulty you unlock other difficulties), level select (4 levels, then 1 boss level for each difficulty)
3D-ish title screen
Obtaining New Moves as Level Up
Items
Harder Enemies as Progress
Hints and Tips Along the Way
Skills and attributes
Music from Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Change image quality/graphics

This is the code so far:

Code:

import webbrowser
webbrowser.open_new_tab("http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1455868#p1455868")

Advertise this in your signature!

Code:

[url=http://ow.ly/glfMk][url]http://i50.tinypic.com/260zpmp.jpg[/url][/url]

Thanks!

my mum is learning python  big_smile  i hope i arent doing any harm making a long post

Last edited by legoboy09 (2013-01-28 09:25:24)

#159 2013-01-28 23:09:32

OrcaCat
Scratcher

danielson799 wrote:

I don't have pygame, but I would like to help you with this project.

Cool! Would you want to be an artist or designer?

#160 2013-01-29 06:32:17

Gravitation
New Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

I like the idea of one large world with doors that close out the previous "stage", but yeah :3

Sorry for my inactivity, whaddya need? :3

Yes, you're alive! Yeah, I really like your idea. I tracked down most of your other accounts, and you're a lot better than me! Once we finish our design (which we need help on) you'll code the main game with some help from me.

Could you also make a project advertising this?

P.S. What software do you use for music?

P.P.S. Do you actually live in South Africa?

P.P.P.S. I see that you removed your location, like me.

FL Studio,
yes,
yeah  tongue

(Again, I apologise for my inactivity... again.  tongue )

Sounds great (and thank you  big_smile ) I can help a little bit on the game's design, but I'm not really very good at that stuff  tongue

#161 2013-01-29 20:00:32

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

I like the idea of one large world with doors that close out the previous "stage", but yeah :3

Sorry for my inactivity, whaddya need? :3

Yes, you're alive! Yeah, I really like your idea. I tracked down most of your other accounts, and you're a lot better than me! Once we finish our design (which we need help on) you'll code the main game with some help from me.

FL Studio,
yes,
yeah  tongue

Sounds great (and thank you  big_smile ) I can help a little bit on the game's design, but I'm not really very good at that stuff  tongue

Coolness! I use Garageband (I have a Mac too).  Once we get the art done (pythagoras66 is working on that) we can finally get to work on the pseudocode.

#162 2013-01-31 11:07:39

Gravitation
New Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

FL Studio,
yes,
yeah  tongue

Coolness! I use Garageband (I have a Mac too).  Once we get the art done (pythagoras66 is working on that) we can finally get to work on the pseudocode.

Hooray  big_smile  Am I the only person that's still on Windows?  tongue

#163 2013-01-31 21:26:15

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

FL Studio,
yes,
yeah  tongue

Nope. I use Windows, but I have a mac. Anyway, let's get to work on the code. Remember, don't use spaghetti programming (using go to line x and break, continue, etc. They make your code very unreadable).

#164 2013-02-01 09:48:32

Gravitation
New Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Nope. I use Windows, but I have a mac. Anyway, let's get to work on the code. Remember, don't use spaghetti programming (using go to line x and break, continue, etc. They make your code very unreadable).

I've never done that  tongue

So, what exactly do we want to achieve? :3

#165 2013-02-01 12:56:03

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Im on windows! I once wrote a comic where all the goodies had windows and the baddies had macs, if you want to know my place in that argument. Ironically I'm posting from an iPod touch. The only bit about apple that I like is their portable devices. Anyway, is there anything I can do? Sorry for the inactivity.

#166 2013-02-01 15:02:18

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

I've never done that  tongue

So, what exactly do we want to achieve? :3

Well, we want to make a side-scrolling platformer with a story line where you fight Team Rocket, if that's what you're wondering. Eventually, I hope to have this playable online so it's easy to access and people won't have errors. It wouldn't actually be very hard. Just make a site (maybe use your birdbyte.tk?) and google a javascript that runs python files so people don't need flash or any other plug-ins to play the game.

#167 2013-02-01 15:11:20

OrcaCat
Scratcher

pinnipediator wrote:

Im on windows! I once wrote a comic where all the goodies had windows and the baddies had macs, if you want to know my place in that argument. Ironically I'm posting from an iPod touch. The only bit about apple that I like is their portable devices. Anyway, is there anything I can do? Sorry for the inactivity.

In my opinion, Mac is probably better than PC for performance, but a lot of things on Mac get annoying. There is a thing called the Thunderbolt drive that is twice as fast as USB 3.0. Honestly, I don't like the iPad at all. There are no external cords to attach, so if you don't have functional Wi-fi, then you can't put pictures, movies, etc. onto a computer.

(directed to everyone)
We should seriously start programming. Remember to use lots of comments. And constructive criticism  wink . Also, use 4 spaces for indentation. What text editor do you use? I use IDLE like most people. I have no idea where to start.

Code:

class Player(object):
"""A metagross character that the player plays as"""
def meteormash(self): #how do broadcasts work in python?

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-02-02 11:56:07)

#168 2013-02-01 15:48:46

blob8108
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Eventually, I hope to have this playable online so it's easy to access and people won't have errors. It wouldn't actually be very hard... just google a javascript that runs python files so people don't need flash or any other plug-ins to play the game.

You could do that if you really wanted, using something like Skulpt — but why not just use JS in the first place? And you can't use Pygame in the browser.

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#169 2013-02-01 15:58:19

OrcaCat
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

Eventually, I hope to have this playable online so it's easy to access and people won't have errors. It wouldn't actually be very hard... just google a javascript that runs python files so people don't need flash or any other plug-ins to play the game.

You could do that if you really wanted, using something like Skulpt — but why not just use JS in the first place? And you can't use Pygame in the browser.

Hmm, good point.

#170 2013-02-02 02:18:48

Gravitation
New Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

pinnipediator wrote:

In my opinion, Mac is probably better than PC for performance, but a lot of things on Mac get annoying. There is a thing called the Thunderbolt drive that is twice as fast as USB 3.0. Honestly, I don't like the iPad at all. There are no external cords to attach, so if you don't have functional Wi-fi, then you can't put pictures, movies, etc. onto a computer.

(directed to everyone)
We should seriously start programming. Remember to use lots of comments. And constructive criticism  wink . Also, use 4 spaces for indentation. What text editor do you use? I use IDLE like most people. I have no idea where to start.

Code:

class Player(object):
def meteor mash(self): #how do broadcasts work in python?

Remember that functions can't contain spaces, because the interpreter separates it as 2 arguments, causing an error.

We should start with the main menu, and then the terrain. We can create the player class after that. It won't actually contain any functions, but only variables (or "attributes") that will be used to render the player. The variables will be changed from the sensing script.  smile

#171 2013-02-02 03:22:19

pinnipediator
Scratcher

This is where I sit back and learn stuff while you people who know python well do stuff. I'll help where I can though.

#172 2013-02-02 11:56:52

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Gravitation wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

pinnipediator wrote:

(directed to everyone)

Code:

class Player(object):
def meteor mash(self): #how do broadcasts work in python?

Remember that functions can't contain spaces, because the interpreter separates it as 2 arguments, causing an error.

We should start with the main menu, and then the terrain. We can create the player class after that. It won't actually contain any functions, but only variables (or "attributes") that will be used to render the player. The variables will be changed from the sensing script.  smile

Oh, okay  smile .

#173 2013-02-02 23:24:11

technoguyx
Scratcher

@"how do broadcasts work in Python", you'd have to implement some sort of event listener yourself, or directly call the method of the object:

Code:

metagross = Player() #I don't know Python OOP D: but it's supposed to create a Player object

metagross.meteorMash()

I don't like Pokemon, but this project seems interesting. May I suggest you get an online repository in GitHub or Google Code? And you could base all enemies and the player in a single "Actor" class, with position, size, collision methods etc. for the sake of ease:

Code:

class Actor():
    x = 0
    y = 0
    sizeX = 0
    sizeY = 0

def collidesWith(Actor): #like I said, don't know Python OOP
        #do stuff

def changeX(amount): #example method
        x += amount

As I said, enemies and stuff would be subclasses:

Code:

class Player(Actor): #subclass of Actor - hence has size, position, Actor methods etc.
    #Player-specific definitions go here

I'd like to join, but I currently don't have a computer set up for programming, and I haven't done Python in a long time.

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#174 2013-02-02 23:50:30

OrcaCat
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

@"how do broadcasts work in Python", you'd have to implement some sort of event listener yourself, or directly call the method of the object:

Code:

metagross = Player() #I don't know Python OOP D: but it's supposed to create a Player object

metagross.meteorMash()

I don't like Pokemon, but this project seems interesting. May I suggest you get an online repository in GitHub or Google Code? And you could base all enemies and the player in a single "Actor" class, with position, size, collision methods etc. for the sake of ease:

Code:

class Actor():
    x = 0
    y = 0
    sizeX = 0
    sizeY = 0

def collidesWith(Actor): #like I said, don't know Python OOP
        #do stuff

def changeX(amount): #example method
        x += amount

As I said, enemies and stuff would be subclasses:

Code:

class Player(Actor): #subclass of Actor - hence has size, position, Actor methods etc.
    #Player-specific definitions go here

I'd like to join, but I currently don't have a computer set up for programming, and I haven't done Python in a long time.

Cool, thanks!

1) You don't like Pokemon? Weren't you trying to make Pokemon TCG scratched?
2) I thought you didn't like Python
3) Thanks for the help!

#175 2013-02-03 03:11:12

pinnipediator
Scratcher

This is way above me. I'll learn how to do animation first.

Board footer