This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-11-30 09:59:35

hartmanmath
New Scratcher

Junior High Teacher seeking curriculum & projects

I've decided to turn a Math Lab class into computer programming for my 8th grade, but I need some help. I have the students work through the intro guide and the 12 cards, then I'd like them to work on projects. Is there a curriculum map out there? Or a list of projects increasing in difficulty?

#2 2012-12-02 15:51:11

Zeusking19
Scratcher

Re: Junior High Teacher seeking curriculum & projects

hartmanmath wrote:

I've decided to turn a Math Lab class into computer programming for my 8th grade, but I need some help. I have the students work through the intro guide and the 12 cards, then I'd like them to work on projects. Is there a curriculum map out there? Or a list of projects increasing in difficulty?

Hey there,

I dont think there is a set curriculum map for Scratch.
It may be a good idea to have a look at more complicated projects on the scratch site, and then set your own way of teaching.

I hope you and your students enjoy your time using Scratch, and best of luck.  smile

If you need any help you have all of us, including the Scratch Team behind your back.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2w7e1jm.pnghttp://dragcave.net/image/eFGFz.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/9hE5q.gif

#3 2012-12-05 20:52:18

hartmanmath
New Scratcher

I had a few students ask when we get to try Scratch again today? For now it's only Friday's until the spring. I'm looking for over reaching ideas of increasing difficulty.

Here's all I have so far.

1) Cat and Mouse game (user controls cat, mouse moves at random)
2) Cat and Mouse game (user controls mouse, cat moves at random or towards the mouse)
3) Guessing a number game
-Modify for difficulty by computer responding with 'warmer' and 'colder'
-Include limit to number of guesses
4) *Much more difficult* input two coordinate points which appear on a plane. Then the computer draws a line between them, calculating slope.

#4 2012-12-05 21:25:43

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

Simple maze game!

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

#5 2012-12-06 20:02:26

hartmanmath
New Scratcher

Laternenpfahl wrote:

Simple maze game!

Thank you. What could I add for advanced students? I like to create a rubric a few points for some basics to earn a B, then extra things to reach an A or A+

1) Simple Maze game (What could I add for advanced students?)
2) Cat and Mouse game (user controls cat, mouse moves at random)
3) Cat and Mouse game (user controls mouse, cat moves at random or towards the mouse)
4) Guessing a number game
-Modify for difficulty by computer responding with 'warmer' and 'colder'
-Include limit to number of guesses
5) *Much more difficult* input two coordinate points which appear on a plane. Then the computer draws a line between them, calculating slope.

#6 2012-12-07 18:56:40

Agg725
Scratcher

Good question! I'm only a 6th grader, but I've heard of a good site you might want to see.
ScratchEd is an online community for educators who want to teach their students about scratch. I hope this helps.

Also, once, my computer teacher had us make a project on Scratch about something we were being taught in school once we got the hang of it so that might be fun. I know I liked it.

http://i.imgur.com/LIoxG.png

#7 2012-12-07 20:03:16

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Here are some ideas if you need them:

Easy

1). A simple maze game where there are keys and doors, maybe even teleporters.

2). A simple calculator.

3). A simple painting program where you can select the pen color and size to create a masterpiece.

Medium

1). A game where you use a slingshot to pop as many bubbles as you can in a minute. Maybe you could add the occasional bonus, fast ballon.

2). A platformer where you must dodge the cocunuts being thrown at you by the monkeys over head. And every once in awhile, a banana should appear that'll let you knock one of the monkeys out of a tree.

3). A simple racing game where you race against an opponent for a trophy. You could even add in acid puddles and other obstacles if you want.

Hard

1). A game where you can build your own room. Remember, a lot of variety is needed, and a 3D-ish effect would be nice. Not only that, but you should be able to decorate walls and floors as well.

2). A spin off of Pac-Man where two players trys to get more points then the other. And as a spin, Power Pellets will let players eat each other for bonus points.

3). A simple TD game where you must guard your homework from attacking aliens.

I hope that you like my ideas! And remember, if you need more, just ask.  wink

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-12-07 20:04:05)

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

#8 2012-12-08 03:15:38

Willpower
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

Here are some ideas if you need them:

Easy

1). A simple maze game where there are keys and doors, maybe even teleporters.

2). A simple calculator.

3). A simple painting program where you can select the pen color and size to create a masterpiece.

Medium

1). A game where you use a slingshot to pop as many bubbles as you can in a minute. Maybe you could add the occasional bonus, fast ballon.

2). A platformer where you must dodge the cocunuts being thrown at you by the monkeys over head. And every once in awhile, a banana should appear that'll let you knock one of the monkeys out of a tree.

3). A simple racing game where you race against an opponent for a trophy. You could even add in acid puddles and other obstacles if you want.

Hard

1). A game where you can build your own room. Remember, a lot of variety is needed, and a 3D-ish effect would be nice. Not only that, but you should be able to decorate walls and floors as well.

2). A spin off of Pac-Man where two players trys to get more points then the other. And as a spin, Power Pellets will let players eat each other for bonus points.

3). A simple TD game where you must guard your homework from attacking aliens.

I hope that you like my ideas! And remember, if you need more, just ask.  wink

Maybe a scrolling game for extra hard?
You could have a normal platformer and then students could add scrolling as an extra task or something.

http://i49.tinypic.com/e84kdj.png

#9 2012-12-30 13:05:54

hartmanmath
New Scratcher

Thanks for the great ideas. If I stick with SCRATCH second semester I'll definitely try some of these.

Board footer