This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-10-28 14:20:24

GP1
Scratcher

Scratch on Surface .:NO MODS!:.

Hello! With the release of Microsoft's Surface, I decided to do some research on it. Surface is running Windows RT, which means you can run Windows 8 Apps, but not existing apps, such as Scratch. They simply wont install. But, as you might have guessed from the title of this thread, there is a way to run Scratch on Surface. It is the FIRST EVER mobile device to run Scratch natively, without a mod. Here is how:
You will need Surface, a computer, and either:

A USB Flash drive
An SD card (or micro SD with SD to Micro adapter)

1) On a computer, download WinScratch1.4.zip
2) Plug in your USB or SD card, and extract the contents of WinScratch1.4.zip on to your USB or SD card
3) Plug in your USB or SD card into Surface (Surface has a full size USB port on it, so regular USB's will work)
4) Go into the Desktop app on Surface and open Windows Explorer
5) Browse to your USB or SD card, and look in the contents of WinScratch1.4.zip for Scratch.exe
6) Run Scratch.exe, and BAM! Scratch on Surface!!

This is only useful if you have Surface running Windows RT. There is another version of Surface coming in January that will run Windows 8 professional. On that version (and only that version of Surface) can you actually install Scratch and other programs on it. But, my method works if you just want the Windows RT version.

I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&action=onlineStatus&type=imagehttp://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&action=onlineStatus&type=text and I finally got over 1000 posts.

#2 2012-10-28 15:01:23

Pitusky12
Scratcher

Re: Scratch on Surface .:NO MODS!:.

I don't have a surface but i think it's cool! to run scratch on a surface,could you upload a video to youtube ?

Scratch 2.0 Beta Tester  wink

#3 2012-10-28 16:42:54

GP1
Scratcher

Pitusky12 wrote:

I don't have a surface but i think it's cool! to run scratch on a surface,could you upload a video to youtube ?

I don't actually have Surface myself, otherwise I could. I skyped my friend to make sure it works, but he is in a different country and didnt bring along his video camera. I could probably get Windows RT and simulate a Surface.

Yes, I was going to get Surface, but after I did some research, I'm going to wait for Surface with Windows 8 Pro, so I can develop Windows 8 apps on it.

However, for everybody who DOES have Surface, IT WORKS 100%!!!! You can edit projects, view them, upload them to the Scratch website, lots of stuff. HOWEVER, there are two bad things about this. First, you have to have your USB or SD card plugged in to use Scratch. Second, Its not an actual app, so it doesn't go full screen like Windows 8 apps do. But, its still cool, and the ONLY tablet EVER so far to support Scratch, 100% with no mods, no hacks.

Go Everywhere will be a full screen app that you can get in the Windows Market. But since THAT wont be out for a while, stick with Scratch 1.4.

And no, I have no idea whether Scratch 2.0 will work. Since it runs on Flash, and you can't install programs on Surface, and I don't have a clue whether Adobe will make a version of Flash for Surface (since Microsoft wants every body to switch to HTML5), I'm going to assume no. This is bad. This is why Scratch 2.0 SHOULD have been made in HTML5, NOT Flash.

I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&action=onlineStatus&type=imagehttp://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&action=onlineStatus&type=text and I finally got over 1000 posts.

#4 2012-10-28 16:48:02

Pitusky12
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

I don't actually have Surface myself, otherwise I could. I skyped my friend to make sure it works, but he is in a different country and didnt bring along his video camera. I could probably get Windows RT and simulate a Surface.

Yes, I was going to get Surface, but after I did some research, I'm going to wait for Surface with Windows 8 Pro, so I can develop Windows 8 apps on it.

However, for everybody who DOES have Surface, IT WORKS 100%!!!! You can edit projects, view them, upload them to the Scratch website, lots of stuff. HOWEVER, there are two bad things about this. First, you have to have your USB or SD card plugged in to use Scratch. Second, Its not an actual app, so it doesn't go full screen like Windows 8 apps do. But, its still cool, and the ONLY tablet EVER so far to support Scratch, 100% with no mods, no hacks.

Go Everywhere will be a full screen app that you can get in the Windows Market. But since THAT wont be out for a while, stick with Scratch 1.4.

And no, I have no idea whether Scratch 2.0 will work. Since it runs on Flash, and you can't install programs on Surface, and I don't have a clue whether Adobe will make a version of Flash for Surface (since Microsoft wants every body to switch to HTML5), I'm going to assume no. This is bad. This is why Scratch 2.0 SHOULD have been made in HTML5, NOT Flash.

Oh okay,when you get your surface upload a video to youtube and send me a link.Scratch 2.0 should have been made in html5.

P.S Are you getting the new ipad mini or ipad 4? (curiosity)

#5 2012-10-28 17:04:01

GP1
Scratcher

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

Oh okay,when you get your surface upload a video to youtube and send me a link.Scratch 2.0 should have been made in html5.

No.  Yes, I LOVE Apple (way better than Microsoft), but for a tablet, Surface is my thing, since it is SUPER close to a computer, but in tablet form. iPad looks cool, and it has very high ratings, but Surface can do way more.

I am going to get the new Macbook Pro 13-inch with Retina display (after using Retina display, normal HD displays look really bad  hmm  ). Actually, I'm going to get this before I get Surface, mainly because I don't have my own computer. And Macs rule all others. Im going to wait a while before Surface. Maybe I can ask for it for my birthday, when they start going on Ebay or Craig's List.

#6 2012-10-28 17:29:39

Pitusky12
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

No.  Yes, I LOVE Apple (way better than Microsoft), but for a tablet, Surface is my thing, since it is SUPER close to a computer, but in tablet form. iPad looks cool, and it has very high ratings, but Surface can do way more.

I am going to get the new Macbook Pro 13-inch with Retina display (after using Retina display, normal HD displays look really bad  hmm  ). Actually, I'm going to get this before I get Surface, mainly because I don't have my own computer. And Macs rule all others. Im going to wait a while before Surface. Maybe I can ask for it for my birthday, when they start going on Ebay or Craig's List.

Oh okay thats cool! i like apple better than microsoft but microsofts' good too.Yeah! Surface Pro can handle more but ipad's a little better with graphics and secure no virus proof system

#7 2012-10-28 17:33:40

GP1
Scratcher

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

Oh okay thats cool! i like apple better than microsoft but microsofts' good too.Yeah! Surface Pro can handle more but ipad's a little better with graphics and secure no virus proof system

All you'd have to do for *almost* Anti-Virus free for Surface is get McAfee.

And there is a new virus, aiming for iPads. Its really bad, I'm not exactly sure what it is or how you get it, though.

#8 2012-10-28 17:39:30

Pitusky12
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

And there is a new virus, aiming for iPads. Its really bad, I'm not exactly sure what it is or how you get it, though.

I heard that there's a virus too for ipads and iphones and ipod touches you can get it for downloading i dont remember the name of the app but it steals your contacts. Cool! McAfee for surface!  smile

#9 2012-10-28 17:43:27

GP1
Scratcher

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

I heard that there's a virus too for ipads and iphones and ipod touches you can get it for downloading i dont remember the name of the app but it steals your contacts. Cool! McAfee for surface!  smile

Well, McAfee only works for Surface with Windows 8 Pro, because you have to install it as a program, until McAfee makes a new app.

#10 2012-10-28 18:07:16

Pitusky12
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

Pitusky12 wrote:

GP1 wrote:

Well, McAfee only works for Surface with Windows 8 Pro, because you have to install it as a program, until McAfee makes a new app.

oh thats cool!  smile

#11 2012-10-29 01:33:59

nathanprocks
Scratcher

I heard that Flash Player is disabled in the Metro version of IE10. I think it works in the desktop version.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#12 2012-10-29 01:34:37

ahirbhairav
Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:

I heard that Flash Player is disabled in the Metro version of IE10. I think it works in the desktop version.

False.

#13 2012-10-29 01:42:09

nathanprocks
Scratcher

ahirbhairav wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

False.

Maybe it was just the Developer Preview then. I kind of the the Developer Preview better than the latest Windows 8 on the desktop because you can disable Metro.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#14 2012-11-19 19:16:53

jji7skyline
Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:

ahirbhairav wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

False.

Maybe it was just the Developer Preview then. I kind of the the Developer Preview better than the latest Windows 8 on the desktop because you can disable Metro.

Flash player is disabled on websites except on websites whitelisted by Microsoft, on Windows RT. Windows 8 runs Flash everywhere.

Also, considering that old tablet PCs used to run Windows XP and stuff, I don't think the surface is the first mobile device to be able to run Scratch  hmm

Last edited by jji7skyline (2012-11-19 19:17:41)

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#15 2012-11-20 19:46:12

GP1
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

ahirbhairav wrote:

False.

Flash player is disabled on websites except on websites whitelisted by Microsoft, on Windows RT. Windows 8 runs Flash everywhere.

Also, considering that old tablet PCs used to run Windows XP and stuff, I don't think the surface is the first mobile device to be able to run Scratch  hmm

Well, no, Surface isn't the first device, but Surface RT is the first actual mobile OS to support Scratch.

#16 2012-11-21 05:47:55

DigiTechs
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Well, no, Surface isn't the first device, but Surface RT is the first actual mobile OS to support Scratch.

if the Nokia Lumina had a USB port then you could get scratch on that.

I'm back.
Maybe.

#17 2012-11-21 15:15:50

GP1
Scratcher

DigiTechs wrote:

GP1 wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

if the Nokia Lumina had a USB port then you could get scratch on that.

Maybe. Does it have a SD or Micro SD card slot? It would work from that, too.

#18 2012-11-21 16:36:02

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

How does this work? My understanding is that Windows RT won't run any Win32 apps at all, including the Squeak virtual machine that Scratch 1.4 actually runs in. I'd be eager to see this in action.  smile

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#19 2012-11-21 18:51:02

jji7skyline
Scratcher

fullmoon wrote:

How does this work? My understanding is that Windows RT won't run any Win32 apps at all, including the Squeak virtual machine that Scratch 1.4 actually runs in. I'd be eager to see this in action.  smile

+1

I don't think opening the .exe from explorer would really work to be honest.

It's still compiled as x86, and the Surface RT is an ARM device.

#20 2012-11-21 21:23:30

GP1
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

fullmoon wrote:

+1

I don't think opening the .exe from explorer would really work to be honest.

It's still compiled as x86, and the Surface RT is an ARM device.

Well, you can run Win32 files on Windows RT; You could before. You cannot install them or anything like that. However, people have been able to run regular programs on Windows RT off of a flash drive or similar. It doesn't work as well, but it still works.

#21 2012-11-21 22:21:06

jji7skyline
Scratcher

I really wouldn't expect it to work. It's not just that Microsoft has restricted access to x86 (i.e. Win32) apps, but they just cannot work because of the different CPU architectures. One would need an emulator, which would require a lot of reverse engineering and hacking.

#22 2012-11-22 12:35:58

GP1
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

I really wouldn't expect it to work. It's not just that Microsoft has restricted access to x86 (i.e. Win32) apps, but they just cannot work because of the different CPU architectures. One would need an emulator, which would require a lot of reverse engineering and hacking.

It works. My friend tried it on his Surface.

#23 2013-01-26 17:30:04

clubtech
New Scratcher

I tried the instructions at the top of this string and they didn't work. I unpacked the 1.4 .zip file on my SD card and then tried to run the program both by double clicking on it and also "Run as Administrator". Neither allowed the program to run. What am I doing wrong?

#24 2013-01-26 17:44:35

veggieman001
Scratcher

clubtech wrote:

I tried the instructions at the top of this string and they didn't work. I unpacked the 1.4 .zip file on my SD card and then tried to run the program both by double clicking on it and also "Run as Administrator". Neither allowed the program to run. What am I doing wrong?

It probably just doesn't work; the Squeak VM Scratch uses is x86, and Windows RT is ARM.

#25 2013-01-27 21:22:55

GP1
Scratcher

clubtech wrote:

Nothing that I can tell. I'm getting Surface RT soon, I'll try it again then. It worked on my friend's Surface, I can't image it would run any diferently on different ones. I'll ask him if he made any OS mods to help it work.

Board footer